Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Living outside America, I never got the Image comparisons. Mostly because I barely touched those if I saw them. I remember having some issues of Avengers when it was in the 300s and I was wondering why the art was trying to look like Wild CATS.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Living outside America, I never got the Image comparisons. Mostly because I barely touched those if I saw them. I remember having some issues of Avengers when it was in the 300s and I was wondering why the art was trying to look like Wild CATS.
    The "Extreme" wave really hit hard in the 90's, so much so that it's what a lot of people most remember about the 90's (Jackets, Big Guns, Gnarling teeth, Pouches, Blood-this, Death-That, Single name characters, over-sexualized characters, etc...), even if the decade did give us a LOT of really great stuff. I don't consider FW that much of an Image cover book. For me, it was more a sympton of the "British Invasion" on the American Comics market, which was the avalanche of British creators that started to work in the American market, with their own quirky British storytelling styles, themes and point of views. I'm not sure if modern readers would be able to tell the difference nowadays, but, for me, it was VERY noticeable.

Peace

I was a huge WCA fan, more so than the actual Avengers title, so I definitely followed the characters over to Force Works. For the most part I dug it...liked the changes to US Agent and Wanda, wasn't a fan of Century, as others have said. I would've preferred to have seen the book go longer, but the problem with these "middle finger to the established team" books is that, inevitably, someone will want to bring everyone together again to replay the classic hits. I love the idea of a world where Tony, Wanda, etc. never went back to the Avengers. Same with something like Batman and the Outsiders, over at DC.

Overall, it's a good name and if a good reason for being were to come up, I'd totally be down for a new version of the team, mixing new and previous members.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    The "Extreme" wave really hit hard in the 90's, so much so that it's what a lot of people most remember about the 90's (Jackets, Big Guns, Gnarling teeth, Pouches, Blood-this, Death-That, Single name characters, over-sexualized characters, etc...), even if the decade did give us a LOT of really great stuff. I don't consider FW that much of an Image cover book. For me, it was more a sympton of the "British Invasion" on the American Comics market, which was the avalanche of British creators that started to work in the American market, with their own quirky British storytelling styles, themes and point of views. I'm not sure if modern readers would be able to tell the difference nowadays, but, for me, it was VERY noticeable.

Peace
    Like Judge Dredd. That.. is very... different than what the US market liked.,

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Like Judge Dredd. That.. is very... different than what the US market liked.,
    Dredd's characterization at least compliments his stories and appearance.

Turning the West Coast Avengers into Force Works...not so much. Like the 'Extreme Justice' version of the Justice League, it's hard to see certain characters as edgy.

That said, I do like the name. I used it for a fanfic series of completely different characters, and I'm a little disappointed it hasn't been adopted by a new team.

I enjoyed the comic...but I'm a Wanda fan
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

I thought it was super ironic when FORCE WORKS shifted back to the art team that had been one AVENGERS WEST COAST, making the transition visually moot.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

FORCE WORKS #1 named as the jump the shark moment for gimmick covers trend in the 1990s...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I thought it was super ironic when FORCE WORKS shifted back to the art team that had been one AVENGERS WEST COAST, making the transition visually moot.
    HUGE fan of Dave Ross' art. Wish he'd stayed on. Even with Rey Garcia's overpowering inks. A solid, steady art team could have really benefited the book.

FORCE WORKS #1 named as the jump the shark moment for gimmick covers trend in the 1990s...
    HATED that cover. Could never get it to really work properly, and was always afraid that I wouldn't be able to put it back together again.

I find it veryintresting that a thread based on a 20 something issues series of the 90's is getting so much attention. This and the Thunderstrike one, which is also based on a 20 something issues series of the 90's.

Peace

BANNED

HUGE fan of Dave Ross' art. Wish he'd stayed on. Even with Rey Garcia's overpowering inks. A solid, steady art team could have really benefited the book.

HATED that cover. Could never get it to really work properly, and was always afraid that I wouldn't be able to put it back together again.

I find it veryintresting that a thread based on a 20 something issues series of the 90's is getting so much attention. This and the Thunderstrike one, which is also based on a 20 something issues series of the 90's.

Peace

yeah so? I read the first issue of Force Works back then when I was in high school. it was interesting to see Wanda Scarlet Witch get sexier at the time along with US Agent's new look and the debut of Century.

as for Thunderstrike, so what if Thunderstrike is brought up now these days?

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    yeah so? I read the first issue of Force Works back then when I was in high school. it was interesting to see Wanda Scarlet Witch get sexier at the time along with US Agent's new look and the debut of Century.

as for Thunderstrike, so what if Thunderstrike is brought up now these days?
    I never said I found anything wrong with that. I read and enjoyed both books when they came out. I just found it intresting.

Peace

BANNED

I never said I found anything wrong with that. I read and enjoyed both books when they came out. I just found it intresting.

Peace

You pretty much insulted them calling them old 1990s comics with 20 issues.

Who cares if they were a smaller series. They were brand new at the time. I was aware of Wonder Man since I used to have an issue or two of the Wonder Man solo series. Force Works I liked back then because Century made his debut. that and Tony Star was getting the band back together by trying to get Hawkeye to join up and I still have the first issue. Hawkeye came late a the party gathering and he got all up in their faces about it.

that and the story of the super computer predicting disasters or bad guy fights, this was way before Civil War II and way before the Minority Report movie. If I was on a deserted island and had to choose between Force Works or Civil War II or whatever, I would choose all of Force Works and read every issue. Heck Id bring along Nightsalkers and the Blade comic that takes place after the end of Nightstalkers because they were great back then with good action and horror elements

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    You pretty much insulted them calling them old 1990s comics with 20 issues.

Who cares if they were a smaller series. They were brand new at the time. I was aware of Wonder Man since I used to have an issue or two of the Wonder Man solo series. Force Works I liked back then because Century made his debut. that and Tony Star was getting the band back together by trying to get Hawkeye to join up and I still have the first issue. Hawkeye came late a the party gathering and he got all up in their faces about it.

that and the story of the super computer predicting disasters or bad guy fights, this was way before Civil War II and way before the Minority Report movie. If I was on a deserted island and had to choose between Force Works or Civil War II or whatever, I would choose all of Force Works and read every issue. Heck Id bring along Nightsalkers and the Blade comic that takes place after the end of Nightstalkers because they were great back then with good action and horror elements
    Once again I was not insulting anyone, nor anything. I was stating a fact. Force Works lasted 22 issues. It came out in 1994. Thunderstrike lasted 24 issues. It came out in 1993. Hence two "20 something issues series of the 90's." In any moment do I pass any kind of judgement in this sentence. If you had troubled yourself to peruse the previous coments, you'd have found my posts praising both series (both posts are in the first pages of both threads). I can't figure out why you are making something so huge out of a simple comment that "I found it intresting", when intresting can mean so many things (funny, curious, great, etc...). Since I don't see any reason to justify myself, nor do I want to take this discussion any further, you'll forgive me if I don't reply to any other comment you may make.
    As always...

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Comment deleted by user

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

UGH. I hated Hercs "90's" look.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 03-16-2024 at 09:22 PM.