Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Will Hickman ever come back for a major X-Men run?

My understanding of Hickman's X-Men relaunch is that he had a three-act plan, but that the first act was extended because the other writers and artists wanted to use the new status quo. He says he left the book because Marvel wasn't paying him to write ongoing monthly titles, but to do bigger things, which he ended up doing by introducing new characters (GODS) and relaunching the Ultimate Universe.

I'm curious about the sense of whether Hickman is expected to return to finish his story. Is that something likely up Marvel's pocket if the X-books peter out? Or has Marvel taken the titles in a new direction that's incompatible with what Hickman planned? Or perhaps they used up all of his notes for Acts 2 and 3. It could also be that this is the most unclear time to ask this question since Brevoort's taking over as line editor soon, and we know very little about the creative teams.

I've been out of the loop about this aspect of X-men discussions. What's your sense of this?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

No, I don't think so.

They’re ending Krakoa so no. Whatever his original plan was, he wouldn’t be able to execute it. Frankly I think he’ll be leaving Marvel and go back to indie/Hollywood after USM is done. That or DC I guess since he always brings up that he was moreso a DC kid.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Let’s hope not! Krakoa era has been a dumpster fire!

Extraordinary Member

I think the Krakoa story took a different direction very early on that is now impossible for him to conclude in the manner he originally planned. He may use some elements of those in other stuff he is working on rather than ever wish to return to follow up something that is over and done.

Ultimate Member

I doubt it.

It seems a lot of his plans were cut short.

Really if he wanted to do more X-Men he could’ve taken Ultimate X-Men and had total freedom like he’s getting with Ultimate Spider-Man. That he passed on that tells me returning to X-Men is not something he’s interested in doing.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

If he were to ever return I think he would do something completely different and new with the X-Men.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

he should write Betsy, Brian and Jamie. That is what I want him to do. Just give us six issues of something he wanted to do in otherworld like he said on cerebrocast.

Spectacular Member mattsarchamp's Avatar

Impossible for him to do that. Especially, if his original plans were ruined by some so-called writers. It's better for him to stay away now with his credibility and respectability still intact.
    Peerless and Fearless

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'd love to have him back but it would also be amazing to see him tackle his other superteam favourites, the Titans and the Legion of Superheroes over at DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'd love to have him back but it would also be amazing to see him tackle his other superteam favourites, the Titans and the Legion of Superheroes over at DC.
    And I think the New Gods is one of his other faves? Honestly Hickman jumping on any of these properties would get me back to DC in an instant.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    And I think the New Gods is one of his other faves? Honestly Hickman jumping on any of these properties would get me back to DC in an instant.
    You're right, he did mention the New Gods before.

Tom Brevoort said Hickman has something else in the works at Marvel following GODS' conclusion and in addition to Ultimate Spidey and I'm sure they'll try and keep him happy and busy for a while still until he decides to take a break from corporate comics again. So it might be a few years yet until he jumps ship to DC but I'm sure it will eventually happen.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

We are not so lucky