All-New Member

Post Mystique - Appreciation Thread 2024

Couldn’t find a 2024 thread for Raven, so here I am to start one! Mystique is by far one of my favorite characters in comics. I love complex and complicated women characters—and that’s Mystique to a T. I love how incredibly selfish she is, unless it comes down to Irene, Rogue, and (at times) Kurt, and then she is ruthless in protecting them or acting in what SHE believes is their best interest. She’s truly a despicable character who has done despicable things, but I love that about her. And I love when she is written to do those despicable things in the service of those very few that she loves and cares about.

Her character has truly come full circle in the past few years with reuniting with her wife, Destiny and that being finally acknowledged as a lesbian relationship. Not only that, but her and Destiny both were confirmed to be Kurt’s true parents which is of course what Claremont, her creator, had intended all those years ago.

The Krakoa era has been truly fascinating and fruitful for her and I am certainly apprehensive seeing where her story goes in the relaunch but I hope that Irene will be a part of it considering they’re getting a wedding special in May. I also hope that we will get more focus on her relationship with Rogue in the relaunch too, since we didn’t get enough of that during Krakoa.

Sound off here for any thoughts on Raven Darkholme!

IMG_0227.jpg

I Expect the current revelation of the Xmen Blue one shot moves her to a gray area instead of this betrayer or Judas of Mutankind that Cable told her.

All-New Member

Yeah I’m definitely curious on what her role will be going forward. Hopefully she won’t be lazily written as a cartoon-y villain. A gray area is usually what I prefer. I wonder how the events of her wedding special will play into her role (and Irene’s) in the relaunch.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I can't wait to see what Raven and Irene's roles in the new era will be following her very central ones during Krakoa.

As much as I adored Destiny's return, and felt she was utilized so impressively throughout the Krakoan era, I will admit I was disappointed how much it overshadowed Mystique's ability to mastermind and puppeteer whole story-arcs. I didn't feel her moving the chess pieces at all, outside of getting Destiny resurrected. However, I may not have been paying enough attention.

I can't wait to see what's next for this weird family.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Solo book?
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-...poilers-maybe/
    Mystique by Declan Shalvey
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Very exciting if true! There’s a lot of potential for this book to further expand on Mystique and her role going forward. If it’s true, I definitely believe her wedding special may lay some groundwork for what to expect in her solo.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Didn't they already have one? It didn't do too well.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    It felt very much in the spirit of the Alias show (Jennifer Garner) of the early 2000s. While I enjoyed the series and the art, her characterization was WILDLY different. It almost felt like an AU Mystique.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Maitogai View Post
    Very exciting if true! There’s a lot of potential for this book to further expand on Mystique and her role going forward. If it’s true, I definitely believe her wedding special may lay some groundwork for what to expect in her solo.
    Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Is Raven a canonical THEY/THEM now?

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    It felt very much in the spirit of the Alias show (Jennifer Garner) of the early 2000s. While I enjoyed the series and the art, her characterization was WILDLY different. It almost felt like an AU Mystique.
    For my eyes, the art by Jorge Lucas (and muted colors by StudioF) was wildly at odds with the sexy sleek thriller tone the book seemed to be going for, and in general Raven came off as a much younger operative rather than the season pro of record. If it had been a book fronted by Vanessa/Copycat, it would have felt more in character.

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

I actually remember thinking it should've been the Domino series. Domino had a mini around the same time the Mystique series was running, and I thought it would've made so much sense to merge the stories into an ongoing Domino. I think they handed the story to Mystique because of the movies.

Steve Epting gave some damnn good Mystique (and Destiny!)

I'll even forgive the ill advised bangs moment
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

All-New Member

Her character is in such a different place now than she was back in 2003 when she had her first solo, I don’t see it being similar in that way.