Extraordinary Member

Default Green Lantern #9 Preview

Green Lantern #9 Preview
    Writer: Jeremy Adams
    Artist: Xermanico
    Backup Writer: Sam Humphries
    Backup Artist: Yasmín Flores Montañez

"Because....???" What a tease...

Okay, whatever one can say about Adams' run, he deserves credit for bringing Tom back and letting him interact with Hal.

I feel kind of bad for Tom's family though...

Where was Tom and his family when Coast City was destroyed anyway? You'd think Hal would've reached out to him,(or his brothers) but yeah - that was horribly written. Part of me isn't 100% convinced it's even really him.

Looking forward to some answers though and real progression of the plot.

I didn't expect to see Millenium being confirmed back in continuity,
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Where was Tom and his family when Coast City was destroyed anyway? You'd think Hal would've reached out to him,(or his brothers) but yeah - that was horribly written. Part of me isn't 100% convinced it's even really him.

Looking forward to some answers though and real progression of the plot.
    Wasn't he used by Johns early in his run?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Wasn't he used by Johns early in his run?
    Yep. He also showed up really briefly in Morrison's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Okay, whatever one can say about Adams' run, he deserves credit for bringing Tom back and letting him interact with Hal.

I feel kind of bad for Tom's family though...
    I don't really have a lot of bad things to say about it. It's hardly some modern-day classic but it's also far from being unreadable or offensive as certain other runs in this day and age. It's very much par for the course that it plays rather safe and relies on some great looking art over trying to get more "ambitious" with the story. Maybe after the Morrison run was too out there, they likely thought revisiting many of the old tropes again was the direction that made the most sense for the time being.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-13-2024 at 03:33 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I don't really have a lot of bad things to say about it. It's hardly some modern-day classic but it's also far from being unreadable or offensive as certain other runs in this day and age. It's very much par for the course that it plays rather safe and relies on some great looking art over trying to get more "ambitious" with the story. Maybe after the Morrison run was too out there, they probably thought revisiting some of the old tropes again was the direction that made the most sense for the time being.
    I am also enjoying this pretty well.

Sure its not ambitious but I find it enjoyable enough and it has a nice fun feel to it especially compared to the Infinite Frontier run.

Okay, I don't care what anybody else says, the fact that Adams brought Tom back and let him interact with Hal makes this run an instant win for me. I just wish it didn't seem like he was going back to his family instead of staying in the book on an ongoing basis, but I guess I'd feel bad for his family otherwise.

And pulling from the whole "New Guardians" thing from Millennium, unpopular as it was, is a deep pull.

I can't count the number of retcons or reasons they've tried to come up with for why there are so many Lanterns from Earth but making it because there's an innate Power Battery lodged into the planet with it's own Ring dispenser is...something.

Adams really had to throw in there "we can even add more Earth Lanterns if we need to!" as if we don't already have too many as it is.

I guess it also gives Hal more reason to stay on Earth which seems to have been one of the main goals of this run. He also seems to be giving up on Carol, but that will make it all the more significant if Carol ends up following him into space.

When you immediately warp into a firefight and get captured...luckily it brings him straight to Jo and the resistance.

Sam Humphries writing Jessica Cruz again is great, complete with he ring calling her "J-Bird" again, and Jessica going undercover in the inner circle of the UP GL's is an interesting twist for her. But was the "sniper" Simon?