Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Why Create A New Character When You Could've Used...?

Was thinking about Tom King's current run on Wonder Woman, which I'm enjoying quite a bit, and I got around to thinking about the Sovereign, whom I believe was created specifically for this story. As a big fan of the old-school Doom Patrol, it dawned on me that, with just a little bit of tweaking, the role the Sovereign plays could have easily been filled by longtime DP foe General Immortus.

That got me thinking: what are some other cases where a new character has been introduced in a role that could've been swapped out for an established villain, supporting character, second-tier hero, etc.? And to clarify, I'm don't mean characters who would have had to go through radical tweaks/reimaginings to make it work...just known characters who could've easily been slotted into positions that instead went to brand new characters.

Anyone spring to mind?

I have one: why the hell did we have to create Naomi when we had Vixen sitting right there in limbo?

"we've been sitting on this amazing African female character for decades, but instead of giving her a chance to shine, let's create a new one".... ????

now we get Mari in BoP and I haven't seen Naomi mentioned anywhere since her creator disappeared, so I guess I've been vindicated on this one? lol

Probably one of the most blatant examples is John Byrne creating Helena and Cassie Sandsmark, instead of using Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis.

Speaking of Cassie Sandsmark, why create a new Wonder Girl (Yara Flor) when Cassie is still around?
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkus View Post
    I have one: why the hell did we have to create Naomi when we had Vixen sitting right there in limbo?

"we've been sitting on this amazing African female character for decades, but instead of giving her a chance to shine, let's create a new one".... ????

now we get Mari in BoP and I haven't seen Naomi mentioned anywhere since her creator disappeared, so I guess I've been vindicated on this one? lol
    Because then Bendis wouldn't be able to get royalties on a failed tv show. Not to mention the clout ....

Vixen, Bumble Bee, Rocket, all are great characters who could use a little more TLC.

However, to address the OC post... I am open to more new characters being created. I don't believe one takes away from the other. But I wish creators went into it with a mindset of "how will this benefit the comic UNIVERSE I am writing in, how will this character play towards the fans, and how will this character help the overall growth of the company". Right now it seems that creators are more into the benefits of how what they are doing will help them and everything else is secondary. Which is part of the reason why(among many others) there is no more denying the rapid decline in the superhero comic industry .
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 03-08-2024 at 05:09 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Amazing Member

I haven't read much with Naomi, but weren't her inexperience and mysterious origins a pretty big part of her story? I don't think she has all that much in common with Vixen, outside of fairly superficial things like race, gender, and costume colour.

The Silver Age Atom and Elongated Man for Doll Man and Plastic Man are two early examples, and if Supergirl had been allowed onto the Teen Titans Donna Troy might never have been created.

Extraordinary Member

In the 5YL Legion, why create Kono when Phantom Girl and Star Boy had the same powers?

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    In the 5YL Legion, why create Kono when Phantom Girl and Star Boy had the same powers?
    Probably because Phantom Girl was being used in L.E.G.I.O.N. and Star Boy was happily retired with Dream Girl?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogueWhistler View Post
    I haven't read much with Naomi, but weren't her inexperience and mysterious origins a pretty big part of her story? I don't think she has all that much in common with Vixen, outside of fairly superficial things like race, gender, and costume colour.

The Silver Age Atom and Elongated Man for Doll Man and Plastic Man are two early examples, and if Supergirl had been allowed onto the Teen Titans Donna Troy might never have been created.
    DC didn't own Doll Man or Plastic Man when the Atom and Elongated Man were created.

Naomi and Vixen actually dont share anything in common other than their skin color. But I do understand where you are coming from. The problem underlying "why create when...." is because in reality, if something happens and these characters get used in any other media that creator gets royalties out of it. Unless of course they follow the Alan Moore School.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Kono had a personality which was atypical of many Legionnaires so it wasn't just a power thing with her.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Jon Stewart.

Guy Gardner

Kyle Rayner

GL list goes on...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    DC didn't own Doll Man or Plastic Man when the Atom and Elongated Man were created.
    DC bought all of the Quality Comics superheroes at the end of 1956. It seems that editor Julius Schwartz has stated that he did not know that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    Speaking of Cassie Sandsmark, why create a new Wonder Girl (Yara Flor) when Cassie is still around?
    In some cases it does come down to what story is being told or at last planned out.

Along with ownership issues.

Along with other creators plans.

Take Cassie-IF there was a plan to give her a new name and move on from being Wonder Girl-guess what you got a new one.

Or if she was one the many listed for Tom King to kill off in Heroes in Crisis and there was now a need for new Wonder Girl.

As for Vixen and Naomi other than being BLACK-they have nothing in common.

Especially since Vixen is older and owns her own company.

When we look at teen black females-who else is out there aside from Natasha Irons? Tonya Spears?

Green Lantern is a police force-so more than one GL is allowed. Now 10 from the same planet is another issue. Of course John and Jo had planets they were in charge of.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkus View Post

Naomi was Bendis creating his own OC character to push her in the DCU. And I think we will not hear of hear unless Bendis return to DC, something I wish never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Jon Stewart.

Guy Gardner

Kyle Rayner

GL list goes on...
    Why they create Hal Jordan when there was already Alan Scott?

But to answer OP, reasons to create new characters to ocupy roles than already others have, there are many motives. Either the desire to create a character to have royalties, or simply because the previous character can be considered as a closed chapter or a problem for different reasons. Or simply the writer needs something different for the story. Other path could be reinvent a stablished character and that also can be problematic because you could change too much that character and leave it in a dead end. So, in those cases, is better to come with new faces.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Why they create Hal Jordan when there was already Alan Scott?
    It's not exactly the same thing, since Alan (and Jay) had not been in any new stories for years by the time Hal and Barry came along.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?