Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    Ursa pretty much replaced Faora defacto, which is a bit sad.
    I would like the return of Faora as a distinct character. Have Faora go back to the martial artist slash Serial Killer Misandrist, then have Ursa be General Zod's XO and wife.
    I would second that.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Jon Stewart.

Guy Gardner

Kyle Rayner

GL list goes on...
    Jon Steward -- from the Daily Show?
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think a lot of the more recent Bat Characters fall under that.

Why crate Calvin Rose if you have Dick Grayson?

Why create Strix when you have Cassandra Cain?

Why create Ghost Maker and Clown Killer if you have Red Hood?

Why create Jace Fox of you have Luke Fox?

Why create Punchline and the Gardener if you have Harley and Ivy?

Why create Sparrow (Darcy Thomas) when you have Stephanie Brown?
    Sheesh! I don't even know who a lot of these characters are! I may need a tutorial!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Sheesh! I don't even know who a lot of these characters are! I may need a tutorial!
    Gardener is someone kind of like old-school Ivy before she went "Avatar of the Green".

As an Avatar, Ivy tends to have her actions influenced by the Green... Gardener... doesn't.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Jon Steward -- from the Daily Show?
    I wonder if that's an age thing. I have known about John going back to the '70s, so if anything, I'm more likely (though haven't yet) to write the comedian's name the same way instead of Jon.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Would Blue Beetle fit under that???

While it's a different version of Blue Beetle-they did try to link Jaime to the others.

And when we look at some of those guys=

Ted Kord
    Cap Atom
    Question
    Nigthshade
    Peacemaker

are they in better shape than Bumblebee and a lot of other DC folks?

Some how Cap Atom got over 50 solo issues. Vixen can't say that.

Question got more out of Justice League Unlimited than Vixen and some others who were more popular on that show.
    I forgot about Blue Beetle completely. I enjoyed that movie too. I am embarrassed.

P.S.

As I said:

DC's lack of investment is standard operating procedure in 99% of it IPs.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

For the King WW run, I have to wonder why he created Emelie instead of just using Mala. She's a blonde Amazon who is bested by Diana in the Contest, and has been around since day 1. For a character who has appeared off and on since the Marston era, nobody does anything with her

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    For the King WW run, I have to wonder why he created Emelie instead of just using Mala. She's a blonde Amazon who is bested by Diana in the Contest, and has been around since day 1. For a character who has appeared off and on since the Marston era, nobody does anything with her
    Sometimes it's a case of not knowing a character exist.

Especially if the books they are in are not in trades (and digital for those who use whatever system DC has).

Lets say someone decides Bronze Tiger White should have a black son and creates one.

Well Bronze Tiger has a nephew. Who is named after him. Why not use him?

One issue Richard Dragon, Kung-Fu Fighter 1975-77 series is NOT in trade. That is the only book he was in.

Same with Huntress. She took in a kid who could make bombs in her first 1990 series. Not one of his appearances are in trade including the Justice League ones written by a certain writer.

I could name many more.

Relative Heroes and 1996 Teen Titans say hi.

A lot of these guys could be the Cassandra Cain, Wallace West, Duke, Jason Rusch, Jaime Reyes and so on. DC has to learn to use their roster.

With as many books that are not in trade or swimming in bins-it would be a real good way to fuel that back issue market.

Like we saw with Jace Fox and Bloodsport #1.

Part of me wants to have the Mala from DCAU bump into the Amazon Mala in a cross-universe meetup.

But yeah... the Kryptonian Mala(on right, left is Jax-Ur).... why make a NEW Zoner?

Well... sort of... there was an old comic character named Mala who was a Zoner... but other than name and being a Zoner had nothing in common.

To be fair, Mala was also Diana's BFF, so making her an antagonistic character would've been a major departure. He could've used one of the existing rogue Amazons though like Dalma.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    To be fair, Mala was also Diana's BFF, so making her an antagonistic character would've been a major departure. He could've used one of the existing rogue Amazons though like Dalma.

Yeah, we don't need more Wonder Woman supporting characters turned into villains on a whim.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-13-2024 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    All true.

Charlton Action heroes have had Zero movies, Zero television series and Zero graphic novels that are famous or infamous. (Peacemaker may be an exception depending on what you think about the show.)

Who's worse off?

DC's lack of investment is standard operating procedure in 99% of it IPs.
    I'd say the characters who only had one good story and nothing going for them after that are worse off. The Charlton characters have less baggage tying them down. Blue Beetle got a movie and has appeared in tv shows, Captain Atom has been in an animated movie and two shows, Nightshade has two fan favourite comics to her name and Peacemaker has a tv series and is in a video game.

All of this is mich better than what the Watchmen characters got.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-12-2024 at 08:36 PM.

The Justice Guild came about specifically because Bruce Timm & Company couldn’t use the Justice Society for their “Legends” two parter in the Justice League animated series…:

I think it worked out pretty well; the characters being homages somehow added to the story, for me at least.

Amazing Member

The problem DC is that when they acquire new IPs they squeeze them onto the main earth(whichever) one is currently being used. Instead, they should first give the IPs their own earth where they exist in their original form. Then pick and choose the ones that will work or fill a need on the main earth. A few examples, Zealot&the Coda from Wildstorm woul work great with Wonder Woman. You don’t need Artemis and her city, you can have the Coda buried secretly in Man’s world. Another example. the Charlton Heroes. They could be ‘60s heroes. They’d be perfect. After all they were created in the 60s. Now additions to the main universe might require some alteration but I don’t think much.

Quote Originally Posted by amerigo178 View Post
    The problem DC is that when they acquire new IPs they squeeze them onto the main earth(whichever) one is currently being used. Instead, they should first give the IPs their own earth where they exist in their original form. Then pick and choose the ones that will work or fill a need on the main earth. A few examples, Zealot&the Coda from Wildstorm woul work great with Wonder Woman. You don’t need Artemis and her city, you can have the Coda buried secretly in Man’s world. Another example. the Charlton Heroes. They could be ‘60s heroes. They’d be perfect. After all they were created in the 60s. Now additions to the main universe might require some alteration but I don’t think much.
    ^^^I mostly agree w. this.
    There are characters that work better in their own world.; DC has a long history of this and a few books set across the multiverse wouldn’t hurt their brand in any way.