Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Amazing Member

I found it pretty strange that Justin Grey and Jimmy Palmiotti created new legacy versions of the Freedom Fighters in the New 52, when they could have just adapted the versions they'd already introduced a few years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    The Terrifics -

Why use a new Phantom Girl? When you have Nightshade, and the kingdom of the nightshades? Crazy.

I made a thread called "a rose by any other name", and I wanted the most popular stories starring similar powered characters.

Dc could have had WAAAAYYYY more popular characters throughout but the best stories get placed on the most popular characters and that's bad.

Characters miss out on a lot of mythology building that just gets dumped on the bat or supes family.
    I agree with this sentiment. Batman gets alot of assets through his multiple books. I kept thinking some of the new additions would've been better suited for other characters.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-21-2024 at 06:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I still disagree with Calvin and Strix as they could explore the Court from an inside perspective. Thats not someone you could do with either Cass or Dick.
    I don't think that Calvin was really that much more on the inside of the CoO (but I don't remember much of that character), and while you couldn't have done exactly the same plot with Dick, having the Nightwing series being about Dick going after the Court of Owls would have likely brought better results (commercially) than both the Talon series and what ever they did in Nightwing instead.

In case of Strix I don't actually remember them really doing anything with her and the CoO after that event, from what I remember she was really just a Cass stand in iirc BoP and Batgirl.

The Terrifics -

Why use a new Phantom Girl? When you have Nightshade, and the kingdom of the nightshades? Crazy.
    Maybe because Phantom Girl better fits the science fiction focus of the team while Nightshade is a fantasy character.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Maybe because Phantom Girl better fits the science fiction focus of the team while Nightshade is a fantasy character.
    Wait wut?
    Hahahaha yeah okay, agent z.
    You out here naysaying with that nonsense. Phantom girl is from a hidden "Science" planet is lipstick on a pig.
    I read that book and you're just being pedantic at that point.
    Mr. Terrific being exploring the extraplanar "kingdom of nightshades" or the interdimension kingdom of Bgztl... and acting like they're different in the context of this discussion not worth discussing.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Wait wut?
    Hahahaha yeah okay, agent z.
    You out here naysaying with that nonsense. Phantom girl is from a hidden "Science" planet is lipstick on a pig.
    I read that book and you're just being pedantic at that point.
    Mr. Terrific being exploring the extraplanar "kingdom of nightshades" or the interdimension kingdom of Bgztl... and acting like they're different in the context of this discussion not worth discussing.
    Phantom Girl and Nightshade aren't even remotely similar so I have no idea why you brought the latter up. You might as well have asked why Ambush Bug wasn't on the team.

Phantom Girl and Nightshade aren't even remotely similar so I have no idea why you brought the latter up. You might as well have asked why Ambush Bug wasn't on the team.
    ^^^lol!

-ahem-

But yeah, Nightshade couldn’t be shoehorned into the story Lemire was telling.

Not sure if your uniformed, unimaginative, or daft.

But here. . .
    Phantom girl:
    From: Bgztl is a planet that exists in exactly the same space as Earth, only in another dimension. (where all people have the same powers as phantom girl)

Phasing powers
    Fly when intangible
    Dark matter touch
    or by shooting combustion blasts at things to make them explode

Deadly Nightshade:
    From: Land of the Nightshades a magical dimension (where all people have the power same power as Nightshade)
    Intangibility
    Teleportation/Phasing
    Darkness Manipulation (Blasts or and/also homunculi)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So... yeah. Ambush Bug.
    You're kind of pulling an Ambush Bug.
    With your responses I think the answer to the thread... "Why Create A New Character when you could have used..?
    Is because there's OFTEN someone sadly sitting in editorial at any time with a very limited vision who has trouble recognizing anything beyond a direct 1 for1 exchange, like you.

But yeah, Nightshade couldn’t be shoehorned into the story Lemire was telling.
    Yeah... I'm pretty sure she would fit perfectly.
    Find an phasing person stuck between dimensions, Find a message from Tom Strong, Find out you're all "bound together" and need to explore the dark multiverse. its not that hard.

But its not worth arguing any further really
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.

The thread question applies to the various Starmen to one degree or another.

Not sure if your uniformed, unimaginative, or daft.

But here. . .
    Phantom girl:
    From: Bgztl is a planet that exists in exactly the same space as Earth, only in another dimension. (where all people have the same powers as phantom girl)

Phasing powers
    Fly when intangible
    Dark matter touch
    or by shooting combustion blasts at things to make them explode

Deadly Nightshade:
    From: Land of the Nightshades a magical dimension (where all people have the power same power as Nightshade)
    Intangibility
    Teleportation/Phasing
    Darkness Manipulation (Blasts or and/also homunculi)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So... yeah. Ambush Bug.
    You're kind of pulling an Ambush Bug.
    With your responses I think the answer to the thread... "Why Create A New Character when you could have used..?
    Is because there's OFTEN someone sadly sitting in editorial at any time with a very limited vision who has trouble recognizing anything beyond a direct 1 for1 exchange, like you.

Yeah... I'm pretty sure she would fit perfectly.
    Find an phasing person stuck between dimensions, Find a message from Tom Strong, Find out you're all "bound together" and need to explore the dark multiverse. its not that hard.

But its not worth arguing any further really
    Bgtzl does not exist in the same space as an alternate dimension of Earth and I shouldn't have to explain how creating objects out of shadows is not the same thing as making stuff blow up (Nightshade also doesn't generate energy blasts).

The only thing these two characters have in common is being able to turn intangible and even the way they do that differs. That's before you get into their completely different histories, personalities and areas of focus. Frankly, your comment is exactly the problem with this question since more often than not people are suggesting replacing one character with another who has surface similarities at best and not accounting for whether or not a character would best fit into a certain role.

Bgtzl does not exist in the same space as an alternate dimension of Earth and I shouldn't have to explain how creating objects out of shadows is not the same thing as making stuff blow up (Nightshade also doesn't generate energy blasts).

The only thing these two characters have in common is being able to turn intangible and even the way they do that differs. That's before you get into their completely different histories, personalities and areas of focus. Frankly, your comment is exactly the problem with this question since more often than not people are suggesting replacing one character with another who has surface similarities at best and not accounting for whether or not a character would best fit into a certain role.
    I've already stated its not worth arguing with you.

Whatever differences you decide to point out are basically...trifling.
    *At best* really. and since you're really not adding anything to the OP (since this isn't countermand others suggestions "the thread")
    its just more worthless rebuttal. So I'm not reading that. like at all.
    Maybe make more suggestions? Idk. Anyway onto more relevant matters ...

The Immortal Men.
    I feel like they had enough immortals running around DC to do do some interesting things and really Redesigns if needed without introducing a whole new batch of forgettable heroes.
    The tag line was okay but it faded so quick and it might have got some more staying power had they just used some of the slightly dusty immortals aleady floating around even
    if you had to play with the histories a bit (which they were doing anyway.)

^^^Dont sweat it man.
    You made your point (quite well) and really, there’s ppl who will discuss things w. you, and there’s ppl who just wait for their turn to say the same thing over and over.

Hopefully this thread gets on a new tangent and becomes entertaining again soon.

Ultimate Member

I think the point was why create a new person when you can use who is there.

And could use the world building parts. That can be adjust as needed for comics and movies and tv shows.

This is generally the issue. An editor worth their salt could find folks that could fit into a story. Instead of the ever growing pile of folks who end up like the ones in Heroes in Crisis.

Frankly, your comment is exactly the problem with this question since more often than not people are suggesting replacing one character with another who has surface similarities at best and not accounting for whether or not a character would best fit into a certain role.
    It is the job of the writer and editor to make it work.

There are plenty of blank slates at DC. Like Tim Drake's boyfriend. He didn't get a new creation. They used someone with 6 appearances.

Now in the case of Phantom Girl she has a link to Legion to that team's Phantom Girl. Now the question would be why couldn't that had been done with Nightshade.

Red Canary would've been better off as Sin than a new character. Currently she's a cool design and little else.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-25-2024 at 04:57 AM.