Default Ms. Marvel - Mutant Menace #1

Surprised there isn’t a thread for this. Here is Blerd’s review:

Last edited by danielsan52; 03-09-2024 at 12:06 AM.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

I think it's still hard to consider her an X-character. Fall is too messy to really bring her in, as there are several non-x characters involved. It may come though. Let's see where she goes in the new era.

Spectacular Member

Really liked the issue. I hope we see Planter again. His powers and look seem unique enough that I could see him working in other x books too. Hordeculture is always fun and while I don't know much about Lila, she seems like a fun addition.

Only thing I was iffy on was erasing all Kamala's friends knowledge of her secret identity. I wasn't a fan when they did it to her parents either.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I thought it was a fun issue, striking a nice balance between tackling Kamala's personal adventures while also involving her into the larger X-tapestry. I also loved her hanging around the Uncanny Avengers crew.

And it looks like the direction they're headed is for her stretch powers to be supplanted by her mutant powers? I'm intrigued to see where that's going.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I think it's still hard to consider her an X-character. Fall is too messy to really bring her in, as there are several non-x characters involved. It may come though. Let's see where she goes in the new era.
    At this point it feels like the character is a sunken cost fallacy for Marvel and the switch to the "x-sphere" of the marvel comics universe is essentialy reinforcing that feeling/notion because of how very artifical and forced it appears.

While this notion COULD be proven wrong in this case, Marvel's track record with trying to push the character over the past 10 years does not evoke a lot of confidence.

The fact the X and Avengers editorials are changing, plus Kamala had been in use by the Spider office, complicates things. It could be whatever plans they had last summer when they revealed she was a mutant have now changed. We have a villain here who had Kamala's old costume remade. And Kamala muses to herself about whether she should go back to her old colours. I can see this mini ending with her leaving the X-Men and reverting to her old look. The last issue comes out either the same week as or after the final issue of the current X-Men run. Perhaps with Orchis defeated by then, Zoe, Nakia, Mike and Gabe can relearn her identity in the last issue of Mutant Menace? Orchis is the reason Bruno told Kamala not to tell them.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

On it's own, that was a lot of fun. Banter had me remembering stuff like the Canadian Ninja Syndicate. Don't know if this exactly matches up with the tone of "the end of Krakoa." Some already complain about any "mutant" character that does anything other than focus on Orchis right now. Interested to see what is going on with her powers. They decided not to reveal what her mutant powers were exactly in the last mini. Not sure what to make of that choice. I guess the longer it's dragged out the more underwhelming many will find it.
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.

Astonishing Member

So far I'm enjoying this more than the last mini. It feels more organic, less contrived. The Planter is a fun new character, wouldn't mind him sticking around. Cool power and a nice characterization. Interesting choices of villains....I think Mojo is a great 'introductory' X-villain to bring Kamala more into the X-sphere.

Interesting that this end with Lila Cheney

Uncanny Spiderman #3 implied that she had died, "torn in half" by Stark Sentinels soon after the Hellfire Gala

Mojo probably resurrected her. Wouldn't surprise me if he has an X-Babies version of the Five.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Who we saw at the Gala could've been a mutant shapeshifter version of a celebrity impersonator, lol.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Kamala should leave the X franchise. Done with it.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================