Default X-Men Unlimited #130 - Fall of X #10 - Review/Spoilers

We open in the Sanctum of the Thieves Guild beneath New Orleans. The assassin from last issue has Gambit handcuffed and is delivering him to Candra. He tosses Gambit to the floor in front of Candra who strangely says that this charade is unbearable, that she wouldn't have allowed them to get so close unless she wanted them to. The assassin pretends to not understand what Candra is talking about and Gambit tells them to let it go, there's no fooling Candra. The assassin is actually Feint in disguise. She transforms into her true form while apologizing but Gambit says she doesn't have to apologize because she did great.

Candra agrees while lifting Feint in the air with her TK, saying the metamorph is impressive but that no assassin of hers would be suicidal enough to show their face after a botched contract. Candra asks Gambit where he found his protege and we get a quick flashback/reference to Dark X-Men. They go back and forth and start fighting. Gambit tells her that the Externals are making big moves and he needs to know what Selene is planning. After taking some licks Gambit gets Candra to admit why she's not working with Selene.

Externals know no permanent death but feel pain, bleed, and suffer. There are rumors of ways to prevent even that but these rites don't come for free. With the exception of Apocalypse, the Externals intend to pay that price in blood to ascend as True High Lords. They're using the war between Orchis and Krakoa to do it. If they succeed, "They, or at least Selene herself..."

"... and you can't stop the ascension at this stage - not even I could." She says her guile recognizes Selene's corruption. Selene will finish her ritual and betray the others. She'll then burn the world. Feint helps Gambit walk out as they exit the Sanctum. They reach out to Betsy's mind and start relaying everything they've learned from Candra. Feint tells Gambit that she'll never follow him into a literal den of thieves of again and he says he knew Candra would let them go without too much harm.

Back inside Candra is about to sit on her throne again when she hears Selene in her mind. "I generously allowed you to abstain from ascension, Candra..."

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Another great chapter and now we know what the ascension means. Selene is promising the Externals permanent invulnerability, no longer feeling pain nor suffering. Candra believes she will betray them to keep the ascension for herself. Now it's a race for X-Corps to stop Selene and the Externals although Candra believes there's no stopping the ritual which has already started. Good stuff.

So happy to read this with my morning coffee.
    Love the little moments, like Feint falling into "renfair tropes" when she panicks. It does fit the character XD. (unlike that last dialogue when she TPs Betsy with a bit too much assurance from her. Just a TINY nitpick)

Selene is in for a LOT of hurt after all this. Candra is certainly NOT happy.
    (Also, Candra is still Guile and Selene still Corruption. Let's see how this all plays out)
    Last edited by Nicoclaws; 03-10-2024 at 11:03 PM.

Hmm, I am on the fence. We didn’t really get much in terms of interaction between Remy and Carmen. We did get Candra and Remy, which is always fun. Remy played the fool and got hurt to get some information. Which is fine as it was a gambit. I just felt that the price they obtained was not that surprising.

I wanted more Carmen and Remy than we got. I still feel their relationship is very undefined. It’s missing those moments when we learn how they relate to each other and talk beyond just archetypical roles like mentor and protégée. It had some good stuff in regards to that but much of it was blink and miss instead of being the focus of a short scene or two between the action.

Another great issue. I look forward to these on Mondays.

El Aguila was apprehended several issues ago. I'm assuming we will get a follow up to what happened to him.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

This was pretty fun. Gambit and Candra play off each other so well

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I swear I've never cared about the Externals before - aside from Selene and En Sabah Nur, I always found the whole lot pretty boring. But this Unlimited arc has really made them work for me and this was probably the most interesting Candra has ever been for me - I used to find her extremely annoying in the 90s.

I loved the clever bits of exposition framed as a duel and I loved how Gambit was written as smart, competent and caring - I wanna read more of this Remy.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I just wish for the ultimate Eternal bitch fight between Candra and Selene. The only thing that bugs me is that Candra always seems so submissive to Selene, while I always believed a fight between the two of them could go either way.
    So why does Candra let herself be treated like a minor by Selene. I do understand Saul, Absolom, Nicodemius, Burke and Crule are no match to Selene, but Gideon and Candra, come on, they would surely be hard to beat for Selene.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I just wish for the ultimate Eternal bitch fight between Candra and Selene. The only thing that bugs me is that Candra always seems so submissive to Selene, while I always believed a fight between the two of them could go either way.
    So why does Candra let herself be treated like a minor by Selene. I do understand Saul, Absolom, Nicodemius, Burke and Crule are no match to Selene, but Gideon and Candra, come on, they would surely be hard to beat for Selene.
    I believe Candra is one of the youngest Externals, at least compared to Selene. I get an older/younger sister vibe from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I swear I've never cared about the Externals before - aside from Selene and En Sabah Nur, I always found the whole lot pretty boring. But this Unlimited arc has really made them work for me and this was probably the most interesting Candra has ever been for me - I used to find her extremely annoying in the 90s.
    Same here. I have never liked any of them individually or as a group, but this storyline has made them...tolerable. Love the story itself.

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Another great issue. I look forward to these on Mondays.

El Aguila was apprehended several issues ago. I'm assuming we will get a follow up to what happened to him.
    I like how your boy was mentioned in today's X-Men Monday:

Orlando: And yes, I was also very excited to finally get to do a bit with El Aguila! That guy’s got a ton of potential, and his costume was designed by Dave Cockrum – one of the GOATS!

AIPT: Now, I’m happy El Aguila came up naturally because X-Fan Dan Elliott actually wanted to thank you Steves for bringing in El Aguila and asked if there are any more plans for him.

Orlando: I would LOVE to work with El Aguila more. I think he’s got a ton of potential, and would love for him to appear again. WILL he? It all depends on panel space, but he’s got love from me either way. I really hope he can appear at least once more to enact revenge on Orchis.

The more I read Unlimited the more I am in love with this run. Characters utilized well and effectively is so hard to come by, and I am enjoying Gambit and Front relationship, it has potential to be the new Gambit/Storm pairing.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I like how your boy was mentioned in today's X-Men Monday:

Orlando: And yes, I was also very excited to finally get to do a bit with El Aguila! That guy’s got a ton of potential, and his costume was designed by Dave Cockrum – one of the GOATS!

AIPT: Now, I’m happy El Aguila came up naturally because X-Fan Dan Elliott actually wanted to thank you Steves for bringing in El Aguila and asked if there are any more plans for him.

Orlando: I would LOVE to work with El Aguila more. I think he’s got a ton of potential, and would love for him to appear again. WILL he? It all depends on panel space, but he’s got love from me either way. I really hope he can appear at least once more to enact revenge on Orchis.
    Yes! Hopefully with Orlando being a fan we will start to see him more often!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura

Candra ate.