Astonishing Member

Default Congratulations to Christopher Nolan for his Best Director Win at the Oscars

I know this might technically be off-topic here, but I feel that we as a Batman fandom have a special ownership of Christopher Nolan given that he made his name directing a trilogy about our favorite Dark Knight!

In many ways, the success of The Dark Knight paved the way for Nolan's big victory last night. I'd like to think that in some small measure, the Best Director Win for Oppenheimer (not to mention the Best Picture Win) are also a kind of retrospective win for The Dark Knight.

Bravo!

And here's hoping that one day, a comic-book film does actually win Best Picture, and win its director Best Director. Who knows...maybe it'll be a Batman film...

Astonishing Member

One of the greatest of all time.
    Absolutely deserved.

Absolutely well deserved. Loved his speech too. Can tell he just loves the film medium.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    In many ways, the success of The Dark Knight paved the way for Nolan's big victory last night.
    I think many film buffs might disagree and think you're underselling the role many other Nolan works before, during, and after Batman played in this win for Nolan. Not sure any "comic book films" really help any director win a big Oscar. Help a director get money, sure. I don't know about winning a big Oscar (Actor/Actress, Director, Picture). (comic films winning of course supporting actor, sound, etc...we know that can happen of course)

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    And here's hoping that one day, a comic-book film does actually win Best Picture, and win its director Best Director. Who knows...maybe it'll be a Batman film...
    I don't need this to happen. Though Todd Philips with Joker shows, I think, how such a Best Picture win could possibly come about. And it very likely won't be in some super actiony driven comic book film, sorry to tell you.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-14-2024 at 06:28 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I think many film buffs might disagree and think you're underselling the role many other Nolan works before, during, and after Batman played in this win for Nolan. Not sure any "comic book films" really help any director win a big Oscar. Help a director get money, sure. I don't know about winning a big Oscar (Actor/Actress, Director, Picture). (comic films winning of course supporting actor, sound, etc...we know that can happen of course)

I don't need this to happen. Though Todd Philips with Joker shows, I think, how such a Best Picture win could possibly come about. And it very likely won't be in some super actiony driven comic book film, sorry to tell you.
    Not underselling the other works at all. But Batman is what brought Nolan the mainstream recognition, and the critical and commercial success that paved the way for a string of successes - Inception being one of the most significant ones - that culminated in Oppenheimer.

Could Nolan have made it without Batman? Possibly. But as it stands, the Dark Knight Trilogy played a massive role in making him what he is today.

And I don't think we have to assume that a comic-book film that does win Best Picture would necessarily have to be super-serious 'Oscar bait'. I mean, Everything, Everywhere All at Once was a pretty fun, action-packed movie that had a lot of ingredients we typically might associate with the superhero genre (the Multiverse in particular). So its not beyond the realm of possibility that a comic-book movie on similar lines might accomplish the same. Hell, TDK itself could have been a contender back in 2009 had there not been a cap on the number of Best Picture nominees.

I enjoyed Oppenheimer immensely and glad it won.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-14-2024 at 08:50 AM.