Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Eric Masterson as Thunderstrike. What's the difference between him and Thor?

So what is the big difference between Eric Masterson as Thunderstrike and Thor anyway?

DIdnt Eric Masterson used to be the human host for Thor back in the day anyway?

Extraordinary Member

IIRC...As Thunderstrike Eric was not a powerful as when he was Thor. And while the Mace does a lot of stuff it does not control storms.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

He's not immortal either. He's dead now and his son Kevin has his powers (one of a few things that were backported from MC2 to 616, along with Cassie Lang being Stinger and Jessica Drew having a son).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Thunderstrike was a mortal hero endowed with asgardian powers. He was super-humanly strong, though not as strong as Thor (in my head cannon, Thor was 100 Plus tons, Eric was maybe a 70/75 tonner). I have the impression that, perhaps due to his younger age, Eric's son is not as strong as his father (perhaps 50/60 tonner). Maybe he'll eventually get there. He was almost as tough as Thor, but he was not immortal. It was said that Thunderstrike's flight was not as smooth as Mjolnir's. While Thunderstrike could fire, absorb and manipulate various types of energies, including what he called "thunderblasts", which seemed to be powerful concusive energy blasts, and he could summon lightnings, he could not control the weather as Thor can. All in all, I was a huge Eric Masterson fan, and I miss him. Liked a lot the MC2 Kevin also, but his 616 version has yet to really hit it with me.

Peace

Fantastic Member

Another key difference is in the characters personalities. Because Eric is a human father, his stories are very much down to earth and so are his villains. He actually had a bad guy named Carjack for instance.

If you looked at Thunderstrike, you'd probabaly think he was one of those 90s heroes with attitude, but he was actually far more laid back than regular Thor was. He'd actually try to talk it out with villains when Thor would have come in swinging.

Eric also made friends with absorbing man and titana also even helped them plan their wedding. He was more down to earth than thor and talked normal most of the time of old talk thor did then.

When he was killed absorbing man and titana even attended his funeral along with heroes and tells thor "he was a better thor than you ever will be" after thor attacked him at first till he was told he was on the list to attend.

I really liked erics thor era.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I have said for a while now that it would be the perfect time for the MCU to bring in Thunderstrike. Thor is off raising the kid and deceides Earth needs a protector. He goes to the dwarves and has them create the mace and throws it to Earth to find someone worthy of holding it.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I always thought of Thunderstrike as the true mortal version of Thor. Most people, if they're being honest, don't really identify with otherworldly gods, even Asgardians. But Eric would be the guy that everyone could relate to in some way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He's not immortal either. He's dead now and his son Kevin has his powers (one of a few things that were backported from MC2 to 616, along with Cassie Lang being Stinger and Jessica Drew having a son).
    Truly a sad ending for Eric, but I still believe the mace is in good hands with his son...
    Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    Another key difference is in the characters personalities. Because Eric is a human father, his stories are very much down to earth and so are his villains. He actually had a bad guy named Carjack for instance.
    LOL! Don't forget about ShatterFist (dude was gonna call himself The Power Glove, until Eric inadvertently gave him his new name):

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-15-2024 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Corrected Grammatical Errors.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Truly a sad ending for Eric, but I still believe the mace is in good hands with his son...
    I was never a big fan of Eric...but reading the Thrunderstrike limited where Kevin got the mace and Asgardians of the Galaxy I really think Kevin has a lot of potential if handled well.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Such a missed opportunity to not have Kevin in the Young Avengers lineup. He would have been perfect.

But to echo a earlier post I second that this would be a great time to introduce Thunderstrike in the MCU. Especially if they want to do a different take on Thor, a more 'human-ized' one.

It botherd me a bit the speed with which they aged Kevin. He was an 8-9 years old kid who suddenly became a teenager. I feel the same way about Cassie Lang.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Such a missed opportunity to not have Kevin in the Young Avengers lineup. He would have been perfect.

But to echo a earlier post I second that this would be a great time to introduce Thunderstrike in the MCU. Especially if they want to do a different take on Thor, a more 'human-ized' one.
    He'd be great in Young Avengers or in a re-launched New Warriors.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    It botherd me a bit the speed with which they aged Kevin. He was an 8-9 years old kid who suddenly became a teenager. I feel the same way about Cassie Lang.

He'd be great in Young Avengers or in a re-launched New Warriors.

Peace
    All the more reason Kevin and Cassie should team up and go on a date. They have similar dads who were the seconds of their respective mantles (Thor and Ant-Man) both fathers died in the line of duty and both kids had a grow spurt as their legacies giving the Marvel aging curse the middle finger. They were made for each other

Is that something A-Next ever teased? They were both on that team, right?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman