Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This was downright awful. Everything is just far too rushed. Still, I give Duggan some slack. All the creators were rushed to finish their plots before the new era came and Gillen got both Rise and Forever to salvage his. Ewing is practically not even involved in FoX so he gets to do his own thing without having to wrap up lingering Krakoa plot beats.

But Duggan only gets 4 issues to wrap up the Orchis plot that has been gestating since the start of the Krakoa and quite frankly they were the least interesting plot and antagonist of the whole era.

So the odds were already stacked against him the most of the big 3 writers during twilight of this era. So while it's horrifically bad, I at least understand why and don't want to rag on him too much.
    Last edited by Saturius; 03-14-2024 at 04:55 PM.

Incredible Member

Duggan had 25 issues to develop Alia, Stasis and Omega Sentinel the problem is not the time constraints.

Firestar was done an injustice, she went through so much crap and deserved better than just taking out an already defeated Sinister after delivering a single line.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Duggan had 25 issues to develop Alia, Stasis and Omega Sentinel the problem is not the time constraints.
    exactly, totally wasted so much time

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    100% rue for Alia and Omega Sentinel. We have saw nothing of them with all the attention on the bloody Sinisters instead. It's been totally forgotten that Omega is the one who actually created Orchis and is the true power behind the throne

Extraordinary Member

What I don't understand is, Duggan knows how to build up a threat. He did it very well in Savage Avengers and really made Kullan Gath seem like an overwhelming force the heroes had to pull out all the stops to beat. So why is he failing so hard at doing that for Orchis now? Is it that an organization is just harder to write than an individual? He doesn't even have the excuse of 'omega Jean can never lose or be challenged in any way' that has ruined multiple stories in his X-Men run.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    What I don't understand is, Duggan knows how to build up a threat. He did it very well in Savage Avengers and really made Kullan Gath seem like an overwhelming force the heroes had to pull out all the stops to beat. So why is he failing so hard at doing that for Orchis now? Is it that an organization is just harder to write than an individual? He doesn't even have the excuse of 'omega Jean can never lose or be challenged in any way' that has ruined multiple stories in his X-Men run.
    Maybe he is spread too thin now that he is more in charge and responsible?

I quite enjoyed his Kid Cable series. Regardless of some people's dislike of Kid Cable the character, Duggan at least put in the work to develop his protagonists, develop the antagonists, and pay off on long running plot threads.

Duggan's Marauders was were I started having problems with his writing. A team book that just became a solo/duo series of Kitty and Emma and a meandering plot that didn't go anywhere (Kitty's death, return, and Shaw's humiliation has meant nothing other than they just happened).

From then all, all his output has things happen just to happen, without enough effort put in to build things up or pay them off. And we can't just attribute it to not being able to write team books vs solo books. His Iron Man solo doesn't do enough to develop Feilong (or the Stark Sentinels) as antagonists, and he just randomly 'resolved' his Riri storyline.
    Even though I quite enjoyed how soap-opera trashy his Uncanny Avengers limited run was, things just haphazardly happen (Quicksilver and Monet are a thing! Hydra Cap is all of a sudden a mutant-hater ... and oh, all of a sudden he is Flag Smasher now!)

Astonishing Member

To be perhaps too charitable, maybe no one wants to inject pseudo-depth/nuance/threat into ORCHIS due to being fascists, especially since you can feel corporate having the writers collectively by the scruff of the neck to not indulge in any inter-IP pissing matches at this time

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    This was downright awful. Everything is just far too rushed. Still, I give Duggan some slack. All the creators were rushed to finish their plots before the new era came and Gillen got both Rise and Forever to salvage his. Ewing is practically not even involved in FoX so he gets to do his own thing without having to wrap up lingering Krakoa plot beats.

But Duggan only gets 4 issues to wrap up the Orchis plot that has been gestating since the start of the Krakoa and quite frankly they were the least interesting plot and antagonist of the whole era.

So the odds were already stacked against him the most of the big 3 writers during twilight of this era. So while it's horrifically bad, I at least understand why and don't want to rag on him too much.
    Duggan was a Krakoa writer since the opening salvo. If he still has to rush after one volume of Marauders and two volumes of X-Men that's on him.
    "Cable was right!"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Duggan was a Krakoa writer since the opening salvo. If he still has to rush after one volume of Marauders and two volumes of X-Men that's on him.
    It was clearly more important to turn Nature Girl into a bad caric deature of an ecoterrorist in X-Men Green than give depth to the final villains of the era.