Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    The problem with that is that the Bendis Legion has been seen very recently in Green Arrow. I think they need to be dealt with not ignored. My prefered idea is that they are actually, unknown to them, descendants of the classic Legion. Inspired by the classic Legion to use their codenames but then made to believe otherwise by the Time Trapper. Or they could just be from Earth 3 or something. Look I admit that Bendis screwed the pooch with that version. BUT it had a ton of potential and shouldn't just be forgotten completely. Especially since they are now connected with a really great Green Arrow run. I'd like a new Legion run deal with all of the Legions right off the bat then move forward with a new status quo.
    They can be dealt with down the road -- maybe in an Annual. DC doesn't discard anything these days -- but a new series should feature the classic Legion -- albeit adding some new members including a couple former SUBS and Legionnaires who were introduced in other iterations of the team including XS and Kinetix.

I absolutely agree that the classic team needs to be the base of a new series. I'd also add XS, Gates, Monster Boy, Shikari, 5YL Laurel Gand among others to spice things up. I'd love a story that has all the different versions of the Legion against the Time Trapper. In the aftermath you'd have one Legion that is made of the classic team plus survivors of the other versions. No duplicate characters on the final team.

When the Legion properly returns, I'm a huge fan of the "Next Generation" concept. One of the many cool things about the original Legion is that their disconnected-from-the-present-DCU status allowed them to (slowly) age over the years, maturing from fresh-faced teenagers to full-on adults with kids of their own. When they come back, I think it's high time that a mix of Legion nepo babies and original characters take over the Legion name.

Continuity-wise, I think whatever Crisis attempts to resolve the situation *this* time should establish a "Best of All Worlds" approach, firmly embedded in the classic timeline, but with the best pieces of the various variants mixed in (even the Bendis take, which wasn't *all* bad).

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    When the Legion properly returns, I'm a huge fan of the "Next Generation" concept. One of the many cool things about the original Legion is that their disconnected-from-the-present-DCU status allowed them to (slowly) age over the years, maturing from fresh-faced teenagers to full-on adults with kids of their own. When they come back, I think it's high time that a mix of Legion nepo babies and original characters take over the Legion name.

Continuity-wise, I think whatever Crisis attempts to resolve the situation *this* time should establish a "Best of All Worlds" approach, firmly embedded in the classic timeline, but with the best pieces of the various variants mixed in (even the Bendis take, which wasn't *all* bad).
    I agree with everything you wrote. Heck I'd even be on board with a time jump approach where we catch up to the classic team about a decade past the last time we saw them. Several Legionnaires have retired, lots of new members (mostly not new to us but new to the classic team like the characters I already mentioned). I think the last 2 volumes written by Levitz should be ignored honestly. Anyway maybe just hit the ground running and reveal what took place during the time jump slowly.

Signing in as a Post Zero Hour Legion fan.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

We still never got a resolution to whatever Johns was teasing with the Legion at the end of Flashpoint Beyond. I guess it's being somewhat touched upon in JSA right now.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Extraordinary Member

I absolutely agree that the classic team needs to be the base of a new series. I'd also add XS, Gates, Monster Boy, Shikari, 5YL Laurel Gand among others to spice things up. I'd love a story that has all the different versions of the Legion against the Time Trapper. In the aftermath you'd have one Legion that is made of the classic team plus survivors of the other versions. No duplicate characters on the final team.
    I love this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I love this idea.
    I really think it would be the best solution moving forward.

Extraordinary Member

I really think it would be the best solution moving forward.
    I wish.

If Bendis’s run is anything to go by, whoever the next writer will want to make the franchise as adaptable as possible to fit in with a live action adaptation. One that the writer can get self credit and accolades for.

Astonishing Member

There won't be a live action adaptation until they can keep the title on the stands for more than one year.

Ultimate Member

I agree with everything you wrote. Heck I'd even be on board with a time jump approach where we catch up to the classic team about a decade past the last time we saw them. Several Legionnaires have retired, lots of new members (mostly not new to us but new to the classic team like the characters I already mentioned). I think the last 2 volumes written by Levitz should be ignored honestly. Anyway maybe just hit the ground running and reveal what took place during the time jump slowly.
    Yeah, that would be cool. Some could be off being parents, like Garth and Imra, some could have 'retired' to become High Seer (Nura), Senator (Tenzil), Planetary Champion (Tasmia, Thom), etc. Newer members (from Tellus and Polar Boy to more recent arrivals like Dragonwing, Glorith, etc.) could be focused on as the 'old guard' of the X-years-later-Legion, and even some now-teen kids of the older generation!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, that would be cool. Some could be off being parents, like Garth and Imra, some could have 'retired' to become High Seer (Nura), Senator (Tenzil), Planetary Champion (Tasmia, Thom), etc. Newer members (from Tellus and Polar Boy to more recent arrivals like Dragonwing, Glorith, etc.) could be focused on as the 'old guard' of the X-years-later-Legion, and even some now-teen kids of the older generation!
    And some could be running/teaching at the Legion Academy.

Ultimate Member

And some could be running/teaching at the Legion Academy.
    Yeah, Chuck and Lu are already there, and I'd like them to remain mostly in charge, but send a few others over there to help guide the next generation. Wildfire has been established to spend time and have contacts there, as has Cosmic Boy. I'd kinda like to see Cos head over to part-time teacher / part-time government liaison (and no longer an active team presence, other than in those once-in-couple-of-years 'all hands on deck, call in the Subs and Reserves!' situations), while Lydda remains on the team as a full time Legionnaire.

Just rotate out some of the old guard, but don't necessarily kill them off or blow up their planets or have the UP break up into rival factions, nothing grimdark and assy like that. Focus on some of the newer additions, and then maybe add some new additions (perhaps even based on those introduced in other iterations. If Brainy and Cos and Jo and Imra and Tinya can exist in four different realities, then why can't the 'classic' Legion continuity have it's own Gazelle or Kid Quantum 2 or Dragonmage?).

Astonishing Member

A ten-year jump would be too much.

I like the classic Legion as young adults -- I think they were 18 or older when I started reading the 70s -- so they haven't been teenagers since the Silver Age, IMHO. I know the old rule was under 18, but a government approved team of teenaged soldiers seems wrong in this day and age. The Legion Academy would be the place for teenagers who have aspirations of joining the Legion.

Astonishing Member

Since Garth is my favorite Legionnaire I don't want him retired. I liked the fact that there are adult Legionnaires and younger ones too sort of like the JSA with the Alan Jay types as well as the Jakeem and Courtney types. The Retroboot Legion had all the initial Legionnaires in their comic prime. You shouldn't reboot (again) the property and leave it's success in the hands of new characters which may or may not work when the franchise has devoted fans of already existing characters. However I don't want to go through growing up with the characters yet again. Garth is a father, Chuck is married.