Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Who's that on the bottom left?
    I was thinking Celeste Rockfish but I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Who's that on the bottom left?
    Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I was thinking Celeste Rockfish but I may be wrong.
    By process of elimination, Celeste would seem to the be the choice. The figure looks a bit more muscle-y masculine and the aura should be green but...other option would be Ultra JO...

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Kent Shakespeare and Devlin O'Ryan. Two of the worst characters ever inflicted on the Legion.

Celeste never really got enough attention on her to make me care one way or the other about her.

So that leaves Laurel Gand, the post-Superman-must-be-excised-from-Legion-history replacement for Kara Zor-El who was the most successful FYL character introduced to the Legion. Of course, by making her a rather sexually-progressive woman for the late 80's (introducing her by focusing on an ass-shot of her in a thong plus in a post-Brainy relationship with Rond Vidar which resulted in an out-of-wedlock child) all but invited condemnation of both her and the writers for introducing her from some of the more conservative elements of Legion fandom. (Still remember the one fan who doubled down on calling Laurel a "slut" after the Bierbaums refuted his first attempt at doing so in the letters column.)

Hard to remember that about a year before her introduction, the nightly news was doing reports about the introduction of thongs in women's swimwear down in South America. That's the Reagan-Bush years for you.

You ALL have tô read the JSA 9..related tô the LEGION.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougbauer View Post
    You ALL have tô read the JSA 9..related tô the LEGION.
    Yep. I just read it digitally and that last page is shocking! Never in a million years would I have guessed who the GA Legionnaire is. WOW.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Kent Shakespeare and Devlin O'Ryan. Two of the worst characters ever inflicted on the Legion.

Celeste never really got enough attention on her to make me care one way or the other about her.
    In an interview with 'Back Issue' or maybe 'Legion Comanion', I think it was Al Gordon who said the entire creative team was asked to propose a new character. His may have been Kent Shakespeare, but I'm not sure. My least favorite was Kono -- who may have been created by the Bierbaums.

The more I look back on this error (correction: era), the less I miss it.
    Last edited by kcekada; 03-20-2024 at 10:13 AM.

Always hated this look for Rokk. Is it supposed to be pink or is that his skin? I wouldn't even mind this look if it was more pink, or-if it is exposed like that-to have it on a different character. It just doesn't fit him, his best looks are his classic look and all the ones that modify or update it:

Last edited by James Cameron; 03-19-2024 at 05:22 PM.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

I'm pretty out of the loop but are there any plans for a new Legion of Superheroes book from DC anytime soon? I haven't dug too far into all the mythos because they change so much. I've read a few of the original comics and most of the "Archie Legion" books (love that fan name) I thought about checking out the new one from Bendis but I've heard nothing but bad things about it. It's a shame this is a team I've always wanted to get more into but didn't know where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post

So that leaves Laurel Gand, the post-Superman-must-be-excised-from-Legion-history replacement for Kara Zor-El who was the most successful FYL character introduced to the Legion. Of course, by making her a rather sexually-progressive woman for the late 80's (introducing her by focusing on an ass-shot of her in a thong plus in a post-Brainy relationship with Rond Vidar which resulted in an out-of-wedlock child) all but invited condemnation of both her and the writers for introducing her from some of the more conservative elements of Legion fandom. (Still remember the one fan who doubled down on calling Laurel a "slut" after the Bierbaums refuted his first attempt at doing so in the letters column.)

Hard to remember that about a year before her introduction, the nightly news was doing reports about the introduction of thongs in women's swimwear down in South America. That's the Reagan-Bush years for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    In an interview with 'Back Issue' or maybe 'Legion Comanion', I think it was Al Gordon who said the entire creative team was asked to propose a new character. His may have been Kent Shakespeare, but I'm not sure. My least favorite was Kono -- who may have been created by the Bierbaums.
    I was never a big fan of the 5YL phas of the Legion. IMHO, it was too convulted, and it took away many of the elements that I enjoyed in the Legion. Their view of "The Legion was kiddie stuff and we're now adults and have mature stories and point of views" really didn't click with me. I read it all, and there was some good stuff, but I think I only really got to enjoy it when Stuart Immonen came on board, and they started towards the Legion on the run phase.
    That said, I liked Kent Shakespeare and Kono. They were my two favorite additions to the team during that era. Tons of unrealized potential, IMHO.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post

Always hated this look for Rokk. Is it supposed to be pink or is that his skin?
    Love me some Rokk "I asked for pale scarlet" Krinn...
    Show me some cosplay on this look!

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post

Always hated this look for Rokk. Is it supposed to be pink or is that his skin?
    Skin.

Designed by Mike Grell -- who created a similar barely there look for Night Girl. Who is to say how people would feel about that level of exhibitionism 1,000 years from now? I wasn't a fan of either costume. Grell's best designs were Chlorophyll Kid's yellow/green outfit (only used in one story) and Dawnstar.

Swimsuits as supersuits really was the thing back in the day. (and usually with a few disco touches)

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    I'm pretty out of the loop but are there any plans for a new Legion of Superheroes book from DC anytime soon? I haven't dug too far into all the mythos because they change so much. I've read a few of the original comics and most of the "Archie Legion" books (love that fan name) I thought about checking out the new one from Bendis but I've heard nothing but bad things about it. It's a shame this is a team I've always wanted to get more into but didn't know where to start.
    As far as I know, there are no plans. But recently the current JSA title has had some Legion surprises.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Astonishing Member

I feel bad for any creator tasked with a monumental job of trying to relaunch Legion for the umpteenth time. It can be done -- but they really need to ignore Bendis's run. I'm sure it was well intentioned, but it went way too far by introducing virtually an all new cast who resembled fan fave characters in name only.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I feel bad for any creator tasked with a monumental job of trying to relaunch Legion for the umpteenth time. It can be done -- but they really need to ignore Bendis's run. I'm sure it was well intentioned, but it went way too far by introducing virtually an all new cast who resembled fan fave characters in name only.
    The problem with that is that the Bendis Legion has been seen very recently in Green Arrow. I think they need to be dealt with not ignored. My prefered idea is that they are actually, unknown to them, descendants of the classic Legion. Inspired by the classic Legion to use their codenames but then made to believe otherwise by the Time Trapper. Or they could just be from Earth 3 or something. Look I admit that Bendis screwed the pooch with that version. BUT it had a ton of potential and shouldn't just be forgotten completely. Especially since they are now connected with a really great Green Arrow run. I'd like a new Legion run deal with all of the Legions right off the bat then move forward with a new status quo.