Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Legion of Super-Heroes Appreciation Thread 2024

Legion 1.jpg

An inter-galactic team of super-powered teenagers and young adults active in the 30th Century and 31st Century. Inspired by the legend of Superboy, they were founded by Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl under the funding of an eccentric millionaire they had saved named R.J. Brande. This cast expands to include dozens of members with a diverse array of powers and personalities.

My all time favorites next to Superman. DC's absolute greatest. One of the best superhero teams in all of comics.

Last edited by James Cameron; 03-13-2024 at 10:59 AM.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

They/Them

They/Them

Extraordinary Member

My favorite Legion is through the addition of Invisible Kid and White Witch.

While I enjoyed the Sensor Girl mystery, I wasn't interested in the other 4 new members in the Baxter book. And I loathed all the new characters from 5YL.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    Legion 1.jpg

An inter-galactic team of super-powered teenagers and young adults active in the 30th Century and 31st Century. Inspired by the legend of Superboy, they were founded by Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl under the funding of an eccentric millionaire they had saved named R.J. Brande. This cast expands to include dozens of members with a diverse array of powers and personalities.
    Well, that version, the Post ZH Reboot Legion, is my favorite version of the team, however, THEY were not inspired by the Legend of Superboy, but by the Age of Heroes of the 20th/21st Century, and by the Legend of Valor, the World Seeder. I actually prefer the distancing from the Superman Family. IMHO, it helps make the LSH stand out on it's own (however, I don't have anything per say against the more traditional Legion history. I've been a huge fan of the group ever since the mid-70's).

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    There are many Legion artists I really love, however, despite how brief it was, Dave Cockrum's run is still, arguably, my all-time favorite. LOVED most of the redesigns.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 03-13-2024 at 01:38 PM.

Long Live the Legion! Let's hope we get to see some development for them in 2024!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Well, that version, the Post ZH Reboot Legion, is my favorite version of the team, however, THEY were not inspired by the Legend of Superboy, but by the Age of Heroes of the 20th/21st Century, and by the Legend of Valor, the World Seeder. I actually prefer the distancing from the Superman Family. IMHO, it helps make the LSH stand out on it's own (however, I don't have anything per say against the more traditional Legion history. I've been a huge fan of the group ever since the mid-70's).

There are many Legion artists I really love, however, despite how brief it was, Dave Cockrum's run is still, arguably, my all-time favorite. LOVED most of the redesigns.

Peace
    He definitely was the best costume designer. These are the classic costumes for the Legion.

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

For the life of me I can remember who the Gay couple is.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post

Right. And the bold part is a good writer would need to relaunch the team with new stories.

Do we need to see the entire Legion in every issue? Nope
    Do we need to see Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad and Brainiac 5 in every issue? Hell no.
    Should there be more diversity including more races and aliens? Of course.
    Should classic members be race-swapped. Of course not. Not when new members can be added instead.

One guy who I think could a great job of adding new members while respecting Legion history is Jed McKay who is currently writing Avengers. But I don't know if he is a DC or Legion fan. That's not necessarily a prerequisite, but he should have an interest in learning its history.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    For the life of me I can remember who the Gay couple is.
    The original Invisible Kid (Lyle Norg) and Chemical King (name escapes me).

Did they really hint to this relationship or was it just wishful thinking?

Lemire? I think is Lemire.
    And yes, Lemire is a fan.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Right. And the bold part is a good writer would need to relaunch the team with new stories.

Do we need to see the entire Legion in every issue? Nope
    Do we need to see Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad and Brainiac 5 in every issue? Hell no.
    Should there be more diversity including more races and aliens? Of course.
    Should classic members be race-swapped. Of course not. Not when new members can be added instead.

One guy who I think could a great job of adding new members while respecting Legion history is Jed McKay who is currently writing Avengers. But I don't know if he is a DC or Legion fan. That's not necessarily a prerequisite, but he should have an interest in learning its history.
    Good reasoning, but I don't think than is obligation to be a fan for to write a good book and respecting the charactes. Sometimes being a fan also can be an obstacle. I think a good writer iost he one who is a fan but also understood he has a work to do and have to respect the core of the characters. Use the continuity as a tool and not as a burden.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    The original Invisible Kid (Lyle Norg) and Chemical King (name escapes me).

Did they really hint to this relationship or was it just wishful thinking?
    I'm a casual fan, so I don't remember. It seems very progressive for that time and age.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.