Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    If Jean's identity as and relationship to Phoenix wasn't a point of contention, why was it necessary for you to accuse me of imposing my "interpretation" on or condescendingly "correcting" anyone when all I did was post recent panels and a quote by Phoenix's creator? It seems to me that the only reason my thoughts would be viewed as troublesome is if someone was trying to argue that Jean and Phoenix do not share an unbreakable bond. Ultimately, there have been Phoenix hosts throughout Jean's history while she was manifesting and denying her Phoenix nature, and time and again, it has been stated and proven that this neither contradicts nor detracts from her identity as such.
    I think the thing with this topic, personally, is that the times where Jean was essentially denied the Phoenix were very frustrating, both from a meta perspective (from being annoyed at the writers) and in-story (as in having to see that narrative being told when reading said stories). So, when people acknowledge that and express their feelings over it, and you act like this was never a thing and it was all always meant to lead into this and in fact has always been like this even in all the times where it's said otherwise, that feels frustrating too. It's kind of alienating like we're all supposed to get into this same mindset where there was nothing to worry about and those stories all perfectly fit together... Which, again, I understand rationalizing it as a way to have things make sense in your head. We kinda all have to do this to an extent when reading Marvel comics because there's so much continuity that doesn't make sense together.

But not everyone can think like that about all the aspects of Jean/Phoenix stories, at least not in the same way as you, and when they talk about it the way they see it and you respond by basically trying to impose your own views, usually by showing stuff that we've already read, like it was some undeniable truth, err, it's kind of annoying, and does feel a bit condescending, like you're implying it's all in our heads that the problem in question was even a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    From this perspective, none of this matters. None of the characters' histories or identities matter because they can all be changed and contorted on a whim, which, in fact, is true. lol.
    Yeah, I get that you can't be too cynical or else nothing matters, but in this case, what I mean is that certain things we've seen before, like the "now and forever line", the "I'm always Jean and I'm always the Phoenix", stuff like that, they have either lost their meaning, aren't meant to be taken literally, or are vague. They didn't care about "now and forever" when undoing things before, so it doesn't "prove" anything for present or future stories, you know? The only thing that would really matter in my opinion is if they actually established something new and more substantial about Jean/the Phoenix. Like the theories about the Phoenix being created by Jean, being a future Jean in a time paradox, even stuff more simple like the cavewoman Phoenix being a previous incarnation of Jean, etc.

The parts I didn't respond to are simply because I don't really have anything to say about them right now lol.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 03-14-2024 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Place your bets will they last 4 or 6 issues or will they be minis from the get go?
    Storm book may last as long as Exceptional. The way they have wrote Storm in the last 4-5 years is boring. She doesn’t make mistakes and everyone is in awe of her. She even refers to herself as a God. A not promising start to a series. I really don’t see Marvel finding a way to “de-god” her. She is the Captain Marvel of the X-Men.
    As for Phoenix…unless they find a way to show Jean interacting with others in a normal way and not a …you are gnats to me…sort of way. This series will go the way of the dodo bird.
    Ultimate power people are boring and not many people want to spend their hard earned money on it. I imagine the reason they have solos is because it is kind of ridiculous having these so called omega mutants on a team. It was the main reason Phoenix was phased out of the X-men 40 years ago. I hope Marvel has learned their lesson but we will see.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Thank you so much for sharing Merc!! I know there are a lot unknowns but in this moment I think this is something both fandoms of these characters should celebrate!!!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I'll respond to you later, Wiccan. I’m rushing to work, and I love you, butterflykyss!

I just wanted to post this:

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    I appreciate Mercury reminding us of crucial quotes and scans from Jean's history.

When we post to a public forum like this, we are not just interacting with those we are having a direct discussion with. We are also interfacing with those out there who are reading our discussions and who may remain silent. Some of them may be seeing these panels for the first time.

I know when I discuss (especially argue lol) with someone on the internet, I am mindful of the lurkers out there. I know I likely won't change the mind of the person I'm arguing with, but I may spark an idea in the mind of someone who is casually watching/reading.
    That is because both you and Mercury like to educate and I also appreciate that. I too try to keep in mind when I post online that it is a public forum and the audience is bigger than the few people I may be interacting with.

Anywho, I am excited for both the Phoenix and Storm solos. It will feel like a long wait to get more info. So many of us would love to see Jean and Storm interact more. I wish they both were on a team book together. A writer needs to further develop their deep friendship.

Astonishing Member

I don't expect her to wear classic Phoenix outfit (which is probably in the top 10 of best super hero designs of all time), but I hope it at least uses elements of that design. Not really a fan of most things she's worn since that era.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I don't expect her to wear classic Phoenix outfit (which is probably in the top 10 of best super hero designs of all time), but I hope it at least uses elements of that design. Not really a fan of most things she's worn since that era.
    Allegedly this is her new costume

I like it. Much like Wolverine’s new one, or Gambit’s, Rogue’s, Nightcrawler’s, Jubilee’s… it’s a cool modernization of her older classic green and gold Phoenix one.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Fantastic Member

Hopefully Marvel would really put all of their efforts into these books and give them the best writers and artists and promote them heavily, so the books could reach some good numbers.

Hopefully Arrako remains and Storm continues working as its ruler and regent of Sol. Maybe the scene of her in business suit is of her being accepted as such by the United Nations. And maybe Ewing would surprise everyone and would be revealed as writer of Storm's solo. Not sure there is any other writer working for Marvel who can continue Ewing's great work for Storm. Maybe Kelly Thompson, she seems to be quite good with continuity and her Captain Marvel's volume managed to reach 50 issues, which is rare even for team books nowadays, not to mention solos.

As for Phoenix book, hopefully it is about Jean going on some cosmic adventures, maybe with Rachel and Hope accompanying her.
    Last edited by Harasar; 03-15-2024 at 10:36 AM.

Astonishing Member

Instead of solos maybe Marvel should have both heroines star together in an ongoing as the premiere bi-sexual couple? Or Poly.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Instead of solos maybe Marvel should have both heroines star together in an ongoing as the premiere bi-sexual couple? Or Poly.
    That is the worst, most ridiculous idea I've ever read. And it will tank even before the first issue is out.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    That is the worst, most ridiculous idea I've ever read. And it will tank even before the first issue is out.
    Is it so wrong for two BFs to become romantically involved? Not only would you have an inter-racial couple, but it could be an on-going poly book as well. Better united than divided.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Allegedly this is her new costume

Is it one of those foreshadow variant covers (just like the one Web of Spider-Man #1 got with Scarlet Spider, Tombstone & Green Goblin) ?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

It's hard to get excited about these solos without knowing the creative teams and also based on the average longevity and importance of X-solos in the past. I understand Tom Brevoort might want to change the narrative here but it might take really strong creators and going beyond the 6-12 issues everyone expects in order to achieve that.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Is it so wrong for two BFs to become romantically involved? Not only would you have an inter-racial couple, but it could be an on-going poly book as well. Better united than divided.
    If it were two other characters who were so inclined, perhaps not. Not Jean and Storm. And...there's a reason why Hickman's poly relationship plot point between Jean, Scott, Emma and Logan went nowhere.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!