Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    Yeah Krakoan Era was nothing smart or groundbreaking imo. Hickman read "Brave New World" a novel from almost a century ago and said wow cool what if X-Men were living on a drug dealing, mutant separationist orgy Island lol even though the entire premise sounded more Dystopian than anything. X-Men were among the most relatable superheroes and were suddenly turned into a cult of weirdos. Just compare that to Morrison's NXM where characters are emotional, humane and the ultimate outsiders.
    I always felt like Hickman was going for something completely different than what the general reaction to his story indicated people thought it was and that made it easier for him to walk away from completing it. I think a lot of people would have been unhappy with his original plan.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

In a very basic way, and going by some things read on-line...I think Hickman was intending Krakoa/Arakko to succeed and thrive up to a point before he brought it all crashing down as foreshadowed by PoX. Sinister would have been the big baddie to destabalise the QC...the XM would be victorious and there would be growth and nation building...then Nimrod/OS and the Dominions would be the final threat. The X-Slack were just forced to condense and consolidate the two and sooner than planned.

We all knew it would have ended or changed dramatically at some point...exactly how and when only Hickman really knows. But then there was mutiny in the X-Slack (a bit dramatic but that's how I choose to look at it regardless of what he/they say) and here we are. I do think if Hickman was still Head of X this ending wouldn't have been quite as senseless and much more informed. Perhaps still rushed (because we all know the Big Heads are the ones pulling the levers) but a lot better than what we had over the last year and some.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I always felt like Hickman was going for something completely different than what the general reaction to his story indicated people thought it was and that made it easier for him to walk away from completing it. I think a lot of people would have been unhappy with his original plan.
    I just never wanna see him writing Cyclops ever again. Hopefully Jed Mackay's series will finally redeem the character. I get it a lot of people enjoyed the Krakoan era, but as a Cyke fan, what Hickman and pals did to him was on par with what Fox did to him, or even worse...

I just never wanna see him writing Cyclops ever again. Hopefully Jed Mackay's series will finally redeem the character. I get it a lot of people enjoyed the Krakoan era, but as a Cyke fan, what Hickman and pals did to him was on par with what Fox did to him, or even worse...
    I agree with you, Hickman and Duggan should never get involved with Cyclops again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Mackay.

Spectacular Member Galen Nycroft's Avatar

Don't even put Hickman in the same category as Duggan. Jonathan Hickman reintroduced Scott as a competent leader and more importantly, a family man with some flaws. It wasn't until Hickman left that Cyclops character went off the rails. In fact, the entire Krakoan era fell apart as soon as Hickman left, thanks to probably some of the worst writers in X-Men History: Gerry Duggan, Ben Percy, Vita Ayala, Tini Howard, Steve Orlando, J Holtham, Charlie Jane Anders, Sy Spurrier, Stephanie Phillips...the cream of the crap got to work on what should be Marvel's premiere superhero team.

Back in the day, you had to earn the right to work on such a prestigious brand like X-Men, nowadays though, all you need is a friend in editorial and the right identity check boxes and you're in. I bet even a cat or a dog could get put on an X-Men monthly title at this stage.

I don't have high hopes that a hit/miss writer like Jed MacKay can turn Cyclops character around either. Jed will run into the same issues Duggan did...trying to write multiple monthly titles at the same time, but not being skilled enough to do any of them well. If Jed can just write X-Men and focus on that, the book could possibly have solid sales past issue #6 (where Jed's sales start to slump typically).

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Nycroft View Post
    Don't even put Hickman in the same category as Duggan. Jonathan Hickman reintroduced Scott as a competent leader and more importantly, a family man with some flaws. It wasn't until Hickman left that Cyclops character went off the rails. In fact, the entire Krakoan era fell apart as soon as Hickman left, thanks to probably some of the worst writers in X-Men History: Gerry Duggan, Ben Percy, Vita Ayala, Tini Howard, Steve Orlando, J Holtham, Charlie Jane Anders, Sy Spurrier, Stephanie Phillips...the cream of the crap got to work on what should be Marvel's premiere superhero team.

Back in the day, you had to earn the right to work on such a prestigious brand like X-Men, nowadays though, all you need is a friend in editorial and the right identity check boxes and you're in. I bet even a cat or a dog could get put on an X-Men monthly title at this stage.

I don't have high hopes that a hit/miss writer like Jed MacKay can turn Cyclops character around either. Jed will run into the same issues Duggan did...trying to write multiple monthly titles at the same time, but not being skilled enough to do any of them well. If Jed can just write X-Men and focus on that, the book could possibly have solid sales past issue #6 (where Jed's sales start to slump typically).
    I’m going to write this here what I just wrote on the Cyclops thread because it blew my mind. What if the reason they are drawing Cyclops younger is because he is killed in this awful storyline and when Jean resurrects( if she does) everyone who has gone…she has to pull a younger Cyclops from…bendis stoyline?….that fits into the present?
    That way Jean can go off and roam the stars without being tied down with someone?

Mighty Member

I dunno why people keep trying to absolve Hickman of Krakoa's problems.

Tini Howard, Ben Percy, and Duggan coincided with much of Hickman's run. Hell X of Swords was explicitly made in conjunction between Hickman and Howard.

J Holtham had one tiny mini off to the side that doesn't matter. I don't think it was good, but it has nothing to do with Krakoa's overall quality. Same goes for Philips.

I still don't know why people act like Ayala did something particularly egregious to Krakoa during their run. They're one of the few writers that actually started pointing out how unbelievably hollow the Krakoa that hickman set up was.

A big issue with Krakoa from moment one was that it was set up on sticks, the moment those sticks weren't going to be immediately set on fire, all the problems of that foundation being paltry at best just came to the forefront

Spectacular Member Galen Nycroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jsg2295 View Post
    I’m going to write this here what I just wrote on the Cyclops thread because it blew my mind. What if the reason they are drawing Cyclops younger is because he is killed in this awful storyline and when Jean resurrects( if she does) everyone who has gone…she has to pull a younger Cyclops from…bendis stoyline?….that fits into the present?
    That way Jean can go off and roam the stars without being tied down with someone?
    This would certainly be a good way to "reboot" certain characters. If spoilers are to be believed, the Phoenix force does make some edits to reality heading out of the Fall Of X.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Xavier isn't in the contest, but I'm betting he's Traitor X or whoever is being held at the mansion.
    Yup, all signs point to Xavier being Traitor X. I also don't think that the contest will have much importance in the new era. Apparently it was a book commissioned by White, so I doubt Brevoort will use it.

Probably true. Whatever happens in Heir of Apocalypse will likely have no relevance on the future. Sadly.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Nycroft View Post

Hickman didn't do anything with Cyclops other than having him report to a council with the evil genocidal loser who tried to kill his son and ruined his life, and the evil nazi who experimented on him and made his life hell in the orphanage. Also, the open relationship was beyond stupid and goes against 60 years of characterization, Scott would never accept to share his wife with anyone else, let alone Wolverine, it was dumb and has completely ruined his relationship with Jean and the perception a lot of people have of his character, the "family moments" were bland at best and he wasn't a competent leader at all, he went back to being beneath Xavier and Magneto shitting on more than 10 years of character development.

Whether you like Hickman as a writer or not, it's clear that he doesn't get Scott's character and is actually one of his worst writers, he regressed Cyclops' character more than anyone else, Duggan despite not knowing how to write Cyclops either, wrote two scenes that are way better than anything Hickman has done with his character, the "I'm the X-Men" scene and the one in which humans are mourning his death.
    Last edited by NearlyEnough; 04-18-2024 at 05:49 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    As someone who wasn't as attached to Krakoa, at the end of the day I just want the books I'm interested in reading to be good, and the books I want to read are the ones that have Cyclops in it.
    So I just got a lot of optimism going into this new era, I have Cyclops in a apparently prominent role in a book written by Jed McKay and as a bonus Magik is in the book too.

I just hope it's as good as I believe it can be.
    I feel the exact same way. Cyclops' character regression was one of the things that made me drop the books early on in the Krakoa era and this sounds like the kind of Cyke I want to read.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jsg2295 View Post
    He's being drawn younger because the artist likes drawing characters young and pretty.

Its not really complicated, Spider-Man gets drawn a lot of times with boyish features despite being in like his mid-20s.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Does anyone know when we will hear more abut the upcoming Storm and X-Factor series?

Really want to know if Archangel, Polaris, Bishop, Northstar, Aurora, Mystique, Havok, Hellion will show up on one of these series. Hmm that would actually make a great team
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Does anyone know when we will hear more abut the upcoming Storm and X-Factor series?

Really want to know if Archangel, Polaris, Bishop, Northstar, Aurora, Mystique, Havok, Hellion will show up on one of these series. Hmm that would actually make a great team
    I think that in May we'll get more information about those books, as they'll probably come out alongside Uncanny.

I just hope that there are plans for Pixie.