Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    It felt so odd when the Krakoa stuff started and Scott was back to being chummy with Xavier as if nothing happened. It felt like such an absurd 180° ignoring years of character development. So I'm all for Scott to go back to how he was after so much interesting growth and development. Krakoa Scott felt like a regression in some ways, at least as far as I read. I didn't stick with it after a while.
    Exactly, Hickman might be great at worldbuilding but he clearly didn't care about the characters' relationships and their history which makes the whole premise behind Krakoa incredibly contrived, especially because its creation happens off-panel, we're just meant to believe that Scott and Xavier have no problems with each other despite Scott knowing that Xavier is completely untrustworthy and well, the whole Phoenix thing. We barely see any opposition to the council despite having some of the most awful people of all time, are you seriously telling me that Scott, Cable, etc have no problem reporting to Apocalypse and Sinister? it's hilariously bad writing imo.

As for the character regression, Scott definitely got the worst part because he was the mutant leader, Magneto kneeled before him and both he and Xavier recognized that he's a better person and leader than they could ever be yet now they're back in charge and Scott isn't important at all? Hickman shat on all his character development and it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    The Bendis attitude era was the most obvious influence from the initial announcement with the structure and missions of three main books, but this one really goes back to Bendis. It’s almost tempting, except I’ve seen it, seen Scott succeed, and then seen it evaporate into nothing as books reset. It was great as an anti-Avengers/anti-Wolverine positioning steeped in confidence and fan service, but I don’t feel the need to read the arc again, knowing it will go nowhere again
    This actually feels more Schism era than Bendis to me. Pitch about being feared is very Extinction Team and every member of the cast was on the Extinction team or in the main cast of Wolverine and the X-Men except for Juggernaut (and Colossus was the Juggernaut on the ET).

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    This actually feels more Schism era than Bendis to me. Pitch about being feared is very Extinction Team and every member of the cast was on the Extinction team or in the main cast of Wolverine and the X-Men except for Juggernaut (and Colossus was the Juggernaut on the ET).
    At least it doesn't seem to have the stupid meta-narrative that post Schism had. And hopefully there will be better execution as well.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Seems most of the council members are taking a break as Xavier, Destiny, Hope, Mystique, Shaw, Exodus, all seem to be without a book.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Seems most of the council members are taking a break as Xavier, Destiny, Hope, Mystique, Shaw, Exodus, all seem to be without a book.
    Most of them don’t usually get regular roles anyway. Only Hope’s absence surprises me. Mystique and Destiny probably will get a role too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NearlyEnough View Post
    Exactly, Hickman might be great at worldbuilding but he clearly didn't care about the characters' relationships and their history which makes the whole premise behind Krakoa incredibly contrived, especially because its creation happens off-panel, we're just meant to believe that Scott and Xavier have no problems with each other despite Scott knowing that Xavier is completely untrustworthy and well, the whole Phoenix thing. We barely see any opposition to the council despite having some of the most awful people of all time, are you seriously telling me that Scott, Cable, etc have no problem reporting to Apocalypse and Sinister? it's hilariously bad writing imo.

As for the character regression, Scott definitely got the worst part because he was the mutant leader, Magneto kneeled before him and both he and Xavier recognized that he's a better person and leader than they could ever be yet now they're back in charge and Scott isn't important at all? Hickman shat on all his character development and it sucks.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way! It's not that I don't like Hickman or that I didn't appreciate the attempt to do something new with the X-Men, but the sudden abandonment of years and years of development and character dynamics felt so off-putting to me. I tried to stick with it a while, but it just wasn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Most of them don’t usually get regular roles anyway. Only Hope’s absence surprises me. Mystique and Destiny probably will get a role too.
    I wouldnt be surprised if Hope turns up in Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    We also don’t know who the Heir of Apocalypse is yet. That character could play a very interesting role in the books going forward, depending on who it is.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    We also don’t know who the Heir of Apocalypse is yet. That character could play a very interesting role in the books going forward, depending on who it is.
    X-Factor would be a good place for that (Apocalypse started there after all).

Cyclops looks too damn young. I will die on this hill.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by NearlyEnough View Post

We should be glad Cyclops wasn't in the council, they all come off looking like a bunch of self-serving incompetent fools. The only ones saved from it was Storm because she was in Arrako, Magneto after he left and start to act like he was just going along with Charles (he wasn't, the sins of Krakoa are as much his as they are Charle's), Emma and Kitty.

I really believe that if Cyclops was on the council he would be looking almost as bad as Professor X by now. The more I think about it, giving the themes of this era, Cyclops been on the background was probably for the best.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    In the immortal words of Wanda paraphrased...No. More. Quite Council. EVER!!!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I wonder, who is the leader of this team? I'm hoping it's Rogue. I loved her as a leader in Carey's run.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by Quill-Han-Vos View Post
    X-Factor would be a good place for that (Apocalypse started there after all).
    Kind of what I’m thinking. Will probably be disappointed, but would be a good place for that plot to continue after the mini series wraps in July.

We’ll know next month most likely, as that’s when I think we’ll get info on the three remaining series debuting in August alongside Uncanny. With Exceptional rounding out and completing the initial X-line in September.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    It felt so odd when the Krakoa stuff started and Scott was back to being chummy with Xavier as if nothing happened. It felt like such an absurd 180° ignoring years of character development. So I'm all for Scott to go back to how he was after so much interesting growth and development. Krakoa Scott felt like a regression in some ways, at least as far as I read. I didn't stick with it after a while.
    Understandable. There is a tendency to gloss over what happened in betweeen Eras

While I didn't feel they needed to retread or address past conflicts (Magneto kneeling before Scott was utter equine doo-doo). And apparently Hickman also didn't want to..relegating the whole AvX era as "the Lost Years" and I don't give him wrong...A lot of the confusion could have been alleviated if they had given us an issue addressing what happened in the six-month interim between Rosencanny and HoX 01. All we got really was various characters planting gate seeds and Doug doing...something on Krakoa. We still have no idea just how Kraoka himself was found "drafted". (Or maybe I didn't read that issue) Certain key plot points were definitely thrown out for expedience and momentum.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 04-13-2024 at 09:03 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!