Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eve Ewing
    "I always try to strike a chord between appealing to veteran comics fans and new readers, but since so many people fell in love with the X-Men as teens and this book is about a team of young folks, that feels especially important to me here," she continued. "I hope that for some 13- or 14-year-old readers, this might be the first comic book they pick up.
    Personally I love this recognition of why new characters are awesome. Beyond allowing the writer more flexibility for storytelling, new characters make new readers feel like they are really getting something that is connected to their start in reading comics. Yes, as we have all been there and done that and seen our 'new characters' eventually kicked to the curb it sucks, but at least we had that experience.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Personally I love this recognition of why new characters are awesome. Beyond allowing the writer more flexibility for storytelling, new characters make new readers feel like they are really getting something that is connected to their start in reading comics. Yes, as we have all been there and done that and seen our 'new characters' eventually kicked to the curb it sucks, but at least we had that experience.
    I was expecting much worse and actually like that they're scattered to the winds a bit which is the only thing that would make sense post krakoa. McKay’s isnt the worst ever but most of these team compositions are extremely uninspired and boring, which puts even more onus on the execution. Ill give them one issue and maybe stick to summaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    Emma and Jubilee look horrible. I hope that's not their official new costumes.
    I think the actual Marquez art makes Jubilee look a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    Emma and Jubilee look horrible. I hope that's not their official new costumes.
    Emma's look, I really don't understand. What are those to pieces of fabric hanging in front of her ???

Uncanny- looks like the same old, same old, although the location is interesting. The second team is more intriguing- why cyclops and Jean aren't together, don't know about beast, psylocke or revanche looks interesting,-and I don't know who the black girl is. Third team is a total mystery.
    Last edited by protege; 03-14-2024 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    EXCEPTIONAL X-MEN
    Written by Eve L. Ewing
    Art by Carmen Carnero
    On Sale 9/4

Mutantkind’s two greatest teachers mold the next generation of X-Men! Kate Pryde has returned home to Chicago following the war with Orchis. Having stepped away from the world of mutantdom, she is nevertheless called back into action as she crosses paths with a trio of new young mutants, Bronze, Axo, and Melee, who clearly need training and guidance. Unfortunately for Kate, Emma Frost thinks so as well!

"Longtime fans of Kitty Pryde can count on the kinds of adventures you expect from her as a classic favorite, while I hope new and old readers alike will get to love this all-new team of young mutants," Ewing shared. "Kitty, the one-time kid sister figure of the X-Men, has to reckon with her own memories—good and bad—of being a child of Xavier as she navigates a role as leader and mentor for a new generation of mutants who are trying to make their way in a time of crisis."

"I always try to strike a chord between appealing to veteran comics fans and new readers, but since so many people fell in love with the X-Men as teens and this book is about a team of young folks, that feels especially important to me here," she continued. "I hope that for some 13- or 14-year-old readers, this might be the first comic book they pick up.

"Working on this series has been a ton of fun already, as Carmen Carnero's art is bringing so much dynamism to these pages and the entire X-team of writers is in a flurry sharing scripts and feedback and ideas," she added.
    Interesting that the official blurb calls her Kate but the author calls her Kitty. I'm concerned about the "unfortunately for Kate, Emma Frost thinks so as well". Their dynamic has been great and I hate for it to get undone.

SIAP, but has any hints been given to what NYX may be?

Underwhelmed. I'm going to need to see the other team lineups.

Thank god they arent going for synergy with the Xmen 97 series. I expected to see lineups heavily influenced by the Gold/Blue era

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    Interesting that the official blurb calls her Kate but the author calls her Kitty. I'm concerned about the "unfortunately for Kate, Emma Frost thinks so as well". Their dynamic has been great and I hate for it to get undone.
    Writers have been doing that throughout this era. Its hard to let go of something you've called a character for decades

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Uncanny- looks like the same old, same old, although the location is interesting. The second team is more intriguing- why cyclops and Jean aren't together, don't know about beast, psylocke or revanche looks interesting,-and I don't know who the black girl is. Third team is a total mystery.
    My theory? Jean isnt quite returning to the land of the living following FoX, at least not in the traditional sense. I think she will be off the board helping the Phoenix heal after it was nearly killed. I think the Phoenix title will have her serving a higher purpose beyond the ground level mutant affairs
    Last edited by Havok83; 03-14-2024 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the actual Marquez art makes Jubilee look a lot better.
    Agreed and that's who will be the regular artist, so that's the rendition that matters.

Hooray, a new generation of future crowd scene characters!

Unsurprising that we’re back on the story casousel, with the X-Men operating from a hidden base again. Even the era name is just a repeat.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 03-14-2024 at 02:49 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Agreed and that's who will be the regular artist, so that's the rendition that matters.
    I wish we had (more) examples of interiors from the launch artists. Still a long way to go and I am sure we will see a lot more along the way.

Meh. I'm so not excited about any of it.
    Sorry to be a Debbie Downer

Not happy about new characters. I would say, it’s fine as long as they only appear for the one story, but they won’t. There are so many good characters and I am so tired of new characters popping up. They’re just going to end up in the background anyway.

Why does Cyclops look so young? Is it the art style?
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Quote Originally Posted by borkbork View Post
    Meh. I'm so not excited about any of it.
    Sorry to be a Debbie Downer
    I will take a break for a long while. Not excited at all. Reminds me of the worst x-men eras tbh.

Maybe I read storm and Phoenix. The main titles do not excite me at all.