Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

A fun concept for this era would have been if each team had one character from each “generation”

So Uncanny could have…
    - Iceman
    - Nightcrawler
    - Dani
    - Husk
    - Armor
    - etc

Adjectiveless could have…
    - Beast
    - Colossus
    - Magma
    - Cannonball
    - Skin
    - etc.

You get the idea
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    A fun concept for this era would have been if each team had one character from each “generation”

So Uncanny could have…
    - Iceman
    - Nightcrawler
    - Dani
    - Husk
    - Armor
    - etc

- Beast
    - Colossus
    - Magma
    - Cannonball
    - Skin
    - etc.

You get the idea
    I think I made a thread asking folks to come up with teams in that style around when I first joined the boards. It was surprisingly easy to come up with pretty diverse and interesting teams, regarding both background and power sets.

I get WHY editorial wants most A-listers concentrated in 1-2 titles, but I really do think the line as a whole would be healthier if they spread the love. It also keeps writers from relying on old team dynamics and so they have to come up with something new.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 03-25-2024 at 04:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Here's something I'm curious about, does Quentin Quire have fans?

Cause every time he's announced in something I always see nothing but disdain for his inclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

Cause every time he's announced in something I always see nothing but disdain for his inclusion.
    Yes he does. **Raises hand**

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Every character has fans. They just aren't always as vocal or as numerous as the haters.

Well, except for Hellion. I don't know anyone who likes that character.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I think I made a thread asking folks to come up with teams in that style around when I first joined the boards. It was surprisingly easy to come up with pretty diverse and interesting teams, regarding both background and power sets.

I get WHY editorial wants most A-listers concentrated in 1-2 titles, but I really do think the line as a whole would be healthier if they spread the love. It also keeps writers from relying on old team dynamics and coming up with something new.
    Totally agree, particularly with your last point which I forgot to mention in my post. Old connections are fun to revisit from time to time, but the line will really thrive if it focuses on new ones, whether they be romantic or strictly friendships.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I liked him under Morrison but thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I liked him under Morrison but thats about it.
    I’m the opposite. Hated him during Morrison’s run, as he was basically a villain in the Riot at Xavier’s arc and was portrayed like a school shooter.

During Aaron’s WatXM run he still bugged, but I suppose it was fun to watch him get under Logan’s skin a bit and be a bit of a foil for him in his new role as “kinder gentler Headmaster Wolverine.”

When Percy’s X-Force launched, I hated his inclusion and wanted that role to go to someone — anyone — else. I think I’d have even preferred Kid Cable, to watch him bounce off of Logan instead (as it could’ve been a fun reversal of the Scott-Logan dynamic with the latter trying to lead this team and the former’s son being the hot-headed impetuous one). Having said that, Kid Omega kind of won me over as the run went on, and I really like his current costume and the way Logan has started to think of him protectively, almost like a son. Feels like a more natural progression than his sudden fatherly relationship with Daken, his actual son, which just kind of came out of nowhere. Honestly, I’m not much of a Daken fan. Preferred him as a villain, and even then didn’t care much for him. Just my opinion, of course.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I’m the opposite. Hated him during Morrison’s run, as he was basically a villain in the Riot at Xavier’s arc and was portrayed like a school shooter.

During Aaron’s WatXM run he still bugged, but I suppose it was fun to watch him get under Logan’s skin a bit and be a bit of a foil for him in his new role as “kinder gentler Headmaster Wolverine.”

When Percy’s X-Force launched, I hated his inclusion and wanted that role to go to someone — anyone — else. I think I’d have even preferred Kid Cable, to watch him bounce off of Logan instead (as it could’ve been a fun reversal of the Scott-Logan dynamic with the latter trying to lead this team and the former’s son being the hot-headed impetuous one). Having said that, Kid Omega kind of won me over as the run went on, and I really like his current costume and the way Logan has started to think of him protectively, almost like a son. Feels like a more natural progression than his sudden fatherly relationship with Daken, his actual son, which just kind of came out of nowhere. Honestly, I’m not much of a Daken fan. Preferred him as a villain, and even then didn’t care much for him. Just my opinion, of course.
    I liked Daken as a counterpoint to Sabertooth. The best villains reflect the hero somehow, and with Wolverine (not so much anymore, but still) having had those issues with the internal conflict between man and beast, Sabertooth was the one who had surrendered to the beast, and Daken had no issues, but still managed to be as much of a monster as Creed was. Showing that it isn't the beast that makes one a monster, but rather who they choose to be.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I used to like him but he's another character kinda ruined for my by the current run of X-Force. I was hoping he would stay gone when he dipped out in that book. So I don't hate that he's being included on a team but I'd rather have almost any other mutant. But considering that I used to like him I'm open to see what they do with him.

So Uncanny could have…
    - Iceman
    - Nightcrawler
    - Dani
    - Husk
    - Armor
    - etc

- Beast
    - Colossus
    - Magma
    - Cannonball
    - Skin
    - etc.

You get the idea
    I still dont get why editorial doesnt implement. All X-offices should do this.

I liked him but I can't say I loved him. He worked for me during the Schism era. Quentin worked alongside Wolverine and fills a similar role to Damian Wayne.

So Uncanny could have…
    - Iceman
    - Nightcrawler
    - Dani
    - Husk
    - Armor
    - etc

- Beast
    - Colossus
    - Magma
    - Cannonball
    - Skin
    - etc.

You get the idea
    It's a smart way to do it.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-25-2024 at 09:57 AM.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

I can't wit to see how Quentin Quire is returned to normal after Sabretooth war. He's a head in a box right now. And without thr resurrection Protocals it's not easy.
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I liked Daken as a counterpoint to Sabertooth. The best villains reflect the hero somehow, and with Wolverine (not so much anymore, but still) having had those issues with the internal conflict between man and beast, Sabertooth was the one who had surrendered to the beast, and Daken had no issues, but still managed to be as much of a monster as Creed was. Showing that it isn't the beast that makes one a monster, but rather who they choose to be.
    Daken had no issues and he chose to be a monster? That's the exact opposite of the character though? He was under conditioning, manipulation and brainwashing all his life for like 6 decades. He was raised to be a weapon, to not care about anyone and was severely punished if he disobeyed. He and Laura had similar experiences, and the way they handled their past was put in contrast too: while Laura realized how not normal was what happened to her, she wanted to change her life and care about people, while Akihiro wasn't willing to face that he and his life was f*cked up, instead he kept on insisting that he had his life the way he wanted, bc otherwise he should have admit that he was just a puppet all his life, never had a choice of his own, and basically weak in his view. And that is exactly what was the storyline in his solo series; at the end he finally did realize and admitted this, and didn't take it too well.

And this is why Logan's idea of saving him was to have his memories erased by Xavier. Who did look into his mind and said: "Merciful God! Even in your father's mind I've never seen so much psychic scar tissue. So much evidence of trauma and abuse. You've been shaped into a weapon. Your memories distorted, your conscience cauterized. And whoever did all this to you, tried to ensure it couldn't be reversed. Sealed off your mind behind a wall of subliminal conditioning, confident that it couldn't be broken."

The question was always whether he can broke the conditioning and move on or not. The first changes happened to him when Laura, as the first person in his life, was there for him and cared about him when he went through some hardship, which he never experienced before.
    His progression in the Krakoa era, especially with Logan should have been written much better though...
    Be kind, it's FREE

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    Daken had no issues and he chose to be a monster? That's the exact opposite of the character though? He was under conditioning, manipulation and brainwashing all his life for like 6 decades. He was raised to be a weapon, to not care about anyone and was severely punished if he disobeyed. He and Laura had similar experiences, and the way they handled their past was put in contrast too: while Laura realized how not normal was what happened to her, she wanted to change her life and care about people, while Akihiro wasn't willing to face that he and his life was f*cked up, instead he kept on insisting that he had his life the way he wanted, bc otherwise he should have admit that he was just a puppet all his life, never had a choice of his own, and basically weak in his view. And that is exactly what was the storyline in his solo series; at the end he finally did realize and admitted this, and didn't take it too well.

And this is why Logan's idea of saving him was to have his memories erased by Xavier. Who did look into his mind and said: "Merciful God! Even in your father's mind I've never seen so much psychic scar tissue. So much evidence of trauma and abuse. You've been shaped into a weapon. Your memories distorted, your conscience cauterized. And whoever did all this to you, tried to ensure it couldn't be reversed. Sealed off your mind behind a wall of subliminal conditioning, confident that it couldn't be broken."

The question was always whether he can broke the conditioning and move on or not. The first changes happened to him when Laura, as the first person in his life, was there for him and cared about him when he went through some hardship, which he never experienced before.
    His progression in the Krakoa era, especially with Logan should have been written much better though...
    My main familiarity with Daken comes later, where he is watching operas and spouting philosophy. He does come across there as someone who has chosen to be a monster, despite not having any issues with an animalistic side.
    Dark does not mean deep.