Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OG Storm View Post
    The books being disjointed stand alone was worse. The lack of cohesion weakened x force this entire run. Before that even more poor story telling. I need a big threat and actual storytelling that uplifts the characters, so far this new runs premise isn't it.
    A story is good or it is not. Sometimes a bigger threat is interesting enough to be present in multiple books. Sometimes books use the setup that was done well in another book as a crutch or it hinders the story by trying to incorporate it when it does not help. Plenty of books that tied in closely to the others were not any better than X-Force.

Either way, there are plenty of good stories that exist that are stand alone. In fact, it is quite evident that this is the norm so in no way can the possibility that a book is stand alone be presented as a bad sign.

So, it comes down to preference. You prefer to read books that feel like they build on the same story? That is fine and it sounds like there is at least some sort of crossover planned shortly into the new era. Personally I like to read more of a variety of stories and ideas so the further away they premises are the more likely I will find that.

Again, no matter the method they go with it comes down to execution and either way can lead to good stories.

Similarly, we know almost nothing about plots or threats in any of these books to claim anything about if they will be worth reading.

I think ideally what will sell this era is good writing and stories.

Ideally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    At least Cyclops and Magik got the best writer out of the bunch.

Wonder if we'll get a crossover with Avengers since the writer Jed McKay is also the writer of the current Avengers ongoing.
    I mean, we've also got a book from Gail Simone.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

This rollout has been incredibly underwhelming. Obviously, anyone was going to have a hard time recapturing the lightning in the bottle that was HoX, and PoX, but this feels so much like going back to what Hickman tried to move us away from. In fact, it feels and looks very similar to the IvX era. With the X-Men scattered across the world, and that doesn't invoke any positive feelings. I think the satellites will probably end up carrying this era for me personally.

Do love seeing Simone writing the flagship though. I've enjoying what I've read of her work, and it's great to see a woman writing the main title.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    This rollout has been incredibly underwhelming. Obviously, anyone was going to have a hard time recapturing the lightning in the bottle that was HoX, and PoX, but this feels so much like going back to what Hickman tried to move us away from. In fact, it feels and looks very similar to the IvX era. With the X-Men scattered across the world, and that doesn't invoke any positive feelings. I think the satellites will probably end up carrying this era for me personally.

Do love seeing Simone writing the flagship though. I've enjoying what I've read of her work, and it's great to see a woman writing the main title.
    Uncanny isn't the flagship of From the Ashes. The flagship is adjectiveless, as shown by it being the center of the promotional material, led by Cyclops and Magneto, and the one that is telling the large-scale superhero stories as opposed to the smaller-scale stories of the other books.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Uncanny isn't the flagship of From the Ashes. The flagship is adjectiveless, as shown by it being the center of the promotional material, led by Cyclops and Magneto, and the one that is telling the large-scale superhero stories as opposed to the smaller-scale stories of the other books.
    They're both flagships. That's why they're getting the 18 comics a year.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Oh, well that's sad.

Uncanny will end up being the flagship. Just watch.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Zoks View Post
    yeah more than one book can be flagship as was the case for both titles in the 90s

Quote Originally Posted by Zoks View Post
    And then there was also something else saying that Exceptional is a flagship as well. They've ben all over with Breevorts era already.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    And then there was also something else saying that Exceptional is a flagship as well. They've ben all over with Breevorts era already.
    They are indeed positioning it as 3 main books with X-Men in the title along with a bunch of supporting books. But there's a clear difference between the book that's presented as front and center, led by the 2 biggest mutant leaders not named Xavier, written by the current main Avengers writer, positioned as the one that is telling the biggest and most consequential stories, and the books that are smaller scale and are not front and center in the marketing. If someone could only read one X-Men book and the only deciding factor was which was the most important or significant book in the line, adjectiveless is the one they'd choose. It's possible Mackay will fail and Simone will soar, changing the equation, but that's how things stand and have been positioned before the reluanch begins.

Spectacular Member

They are indeed positioning it as 3 main books with X-Men in the title along with a bunch of supporting books. But there's a clear difference between the book that's presented as front and center, led by the 2 biggest mutant leaders not named Xavier, written by the current main Avengers writer, positioned as the one that is telling the biggest and most consequential stories, and the books that are smaller scale and are not front and center in the marketing. If someone could only read one X-Men book and the only deciding factor was which was the most important or significant book in the line, adjectiveless is the one they'd choose. It's possible Mackay will fail and Simone will soar, changing the equation, but that's how things stand and have been positioned before the reluanch begins.
    The team is led by Cyclops, not Cyclops and Magneto, and Cyclops is the biggest mutant leader, Magneto and Xavier are 2 and 3, the Marvel article even calls him "mutantkind's ultimate leader".

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Caedus View Post
    Hopefully we're going to get some good Cyke content after almost 5 years of character assassination and Scott being the butt of Jokes.
    I don't think Cyclops was character assassinated during Krakoa, I mean, Beast was character assassinated, Cyclops just wasn't a character the writers were particularly interested.

I keep going back to one of Jordan White's interviews, one where when asked about the role Betsy would have after her series ended.
    He said that some character aren't as popular among fans and sometimes these characters can disappear for a while if no writer have plans for them, he used Betsy as an example. Some characters are too important or popular to just be forgotten, and the x-office always find a place for them in a team book, even if the writers don't have plans for the character, he used Cyclops as an example.

That's what I believe happened to Scott during the Krakoa era, the writers simply didn't have any big plans for the character, but he was just too popular and important to be completely unused. So he end up in the background, sometimes playing some semi-important role out of panel with no real character development or true impact on the story.

But, when we think that Beast was one of the most prominently used character during this era, we can think that kind of getting pushed to the sidelines ins't that bad.

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I don't think Cyclops was character assassinated during Krakoa, I mean, Beast was character assassinated, Cyclops just wasn't a character the writers were particularly interested.

I keep going back to one of Jordan White's interviews, one where when asked about the role Betsy would have after her series ended.
    He said that some character aren't as popular among fans and sometimes these characters can disappear for a while if no writer have plans for them, he used Betsy as an example. Some characters are too important or popular to just be forgotten, and the x-office always find a place for them in a team book, even if the writers don't have plans for the character, he used Cyclops as an example.

That's what I believe happened to Scott during the Krakoa era, the writers simply didn't have any big plans for the character, but he was just too popular and important to be completely unused. So he end up in the background, sometimes playing some semi-important role out of panel with no real character development or true impact on the story.

But, when we think that Beast was one of the most prominently used character during this era, we can think that kind of getting pushed to the sidelines ins't that bad.
    The only redeeming quality of Krakoan Era Cyke was the he was back with Jean and they had a good relationship there. And X of Swords. The rest was pretty meh. But yeah I was on my pessimistic side yesterday. He wasn't exactly character assassinated.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Toi me it wasn't lightning In A bottle the whole idea of Krakoa didn't work for me. The idea of Genosha, Utopia and Krakoa goes against the X-Men ideal. I'm glad it is changing with from the Ashes.
    X-Men Forever

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Yeah Krakoan Era was nothing smart or groundbreaking imo. Hickman read "Brave New World" a novel from almost a century ago and said wow cool what if X-Men were living on a drug dealing, mutant separationist orgy Island lol even though the entire premise sounded more Dystopian than anything. X-Men were among the most relatable superheroes and were suddenly turned into a cult of weirdos. Just compare that to Morrison's NXM where characters are emotional, humane and the ultimate outsiders.