Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I still wish we got that Harry Potter magic school teased in New Mutants. I know it'd make things convoluted and be immediately tossed aside someone stopped writing it, but it could have been really cool.
    Are you referring to the brief period when NEW MUTANTS highlighted the OG Muties and X-MEN in good standing mentoring new students at ACADEMY X? They had different "House" names depending on who your mentor was. Dani got to keep the moniker NEW MUTANTS because the book started as a vehicle for her as the lead. I recall Wolfsbane's group was the PARAGONS..Emma had HELLIONS, Cyclops had CORSAIRS, CHEVALIERS was Gambits, there were others....

Last edited by Thirteen; 03-19-2024 at 04:15 PM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    All of the gen hope kids were kinda interesting, except maybe Velocidad.
    I liked Velocidad's power but yeah he didnt really get much character development. I thought Primal was pretty lame though

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Hope was leading the team and despite being a teenager, wasn't exactly a newbie to being a mutant. I knew Quentin and Laura came from close to the same time, but I didn't think they were part of the same crew. Maybe it's just the Morrison is so weird at times I mentally separate any of his stuff from the rest of the line, no matter if he is in DC or Marvel at the time.
    Hoep was a newbie to being a mutant. Her powers fully manifest just a few weeks before the events of Generation Hope. She did not have alot of experience with them at all which is why she was put on a training squad so she could get the space to learn and train

Quentin and Laura werent on the same team but its still the same generation. Dozens of teen mutants were created during this era. I dont think they all had to specifically be on the New X-men squad to be considered part of that generation. Heck Id even throw in Armor who also seems to be one of the recurring kids from that time period that gets more love than the rest

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Are you referring to the brief period when NEW MUTANTS highlighted the OG Muties and X-MEN in good standing mentoring new students at ACADEMY X?
    No, Rift's talking about the teases during the Krakoan era about Illyana and Rictor possibly working together to open up a school teaching mutant magic.

Are you referring to the brief period when NEW MUTANTS highlighted the OG Muties and X-MEN in good standing mentoring new students at ACADEMY X? They had different "House" names depending on who your mentor was. Dani got to keep the moniker NEW MUTANTS because the book started as a vehicle for her as the lead. I recall Wolfsbane's group was the PARAGONS..Emma had HELLIONS, Cyclops had CORSAIRS, CHEVALIERS was Gambits, there were others....

That was a cool era.

I am not, but I love that era regardless. Especially the Draco Malfoy of that era, he was great.

But during the Krakoa era, Magik said she wanted to start teaching the kids magic as part of their curriculum.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

1. Sooo... the 2010s all over again but minus the animosity, I suppose? Sure, why not.

2. Cyclops looking 10 years younger when he doesn't have to hang out with Logan and his other exes is freakin' hilarious.

3. No idea what on Earth they're thinking with Exceptional. OCs haven't exactly been a hot commodity the past decade. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    That was a cool era.
    Probably the last cool era we had with X-men students.

While I hated the Morrison era and what it did to what I enjoyed about the X-men franchise, I did enjoy the “sub teams” that were a result of that era. Too bad most of them have disappeared into the ether.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    All of the gen hope kids were kinda interesting, except maybe Velocidad.
    I disagree.
    Transonic was only interesting to call out Hope and her bs. Remove Hope from the equation and Laurie ended becoming a plain character.
    Oya is basically everything that was wrong with Wolfsbane's initial characterization as a repressed catholic girl multiplied to infinity.
    Primal is what happens when Harvey Weinstein is a super powered dog.
    Zero is an Akira kid parody but creepier.
    And Velocidad is... Velocidad.

Last good generation of X-kids was definitely Academy X. All the ones that came after them are huge misses.

Yeah, Gen Hope kids were all awfully generic and derivative. Flying girl, beast boy, element girl… Plus they really didn’t have compelling personalities. Probably the worst run I’ve read from Gillen.
    New X-men really was the last good teen book. Instead of keeping it around and riding the boost it got from the crossover, they killed it and replaced it with Marc Guggenheim’s terrible Young X-men book. Since then they’ve never really gave the NXM cast a chance again, even though they sold better than all their later attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yeah, Gen Hope kids were all awfully generic and derivative. Flying girl, beast boy, element girl… Plus they really didn’t have compelling personalities. Probably the worst run I’ve read from Gillen.
    New X-men really was the last good teen book. Instead of keeping it around and riding the boost it got from the crossover, they killed it and replaced it with Marc Guggenheim’s terrible Young X-men book. Since then they’ve never really gave the NXM cast a chance again, even though they sold better than all their later attempts.
    At least we got Mike Carey who seemed to care about the characters during his run of X-men Legacy, a pity no one else seemed to care about them and instead focused on creating one dimensional wallpaller characters whose only character traits are their powers or looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    At least we got Mike Carey who seemed to care about the characters during his run of X-men Legacy, a pity no one else seemed to care about them and instead focused on creating one dimensional wallpaller characters whose only character traits are their powers or looks.
    For sure. Carey is one of the few reasons why these characters had at least some exposure since the series ended. But still a lot of them like Surge have never gotten a decent role again.

I wonder if all the black mutants especially males should dump all things Xavier a d just form their own team. Hilarious no writers have the stones to write a book like this seeing as how they barely receive consideration beyond the broken quota system. Why not be b9ld and align with reality a little. There's absolutely nothing that pops off with any of these teams.

Problem is that every character that came after Academy X suck so bad and are very one dimensional. It's very hard to be invested with such boring characters that will soon be replaced as soon as their creator leaves. Also the X-men story as teachers would work if they were actually good at that and since the original New Mutants they have been a complete and utter failure as teachers.
    To you sure. But for some that is their first exposure to a new generation so it’s going to resonant more with them. Obviously not each character from each group will catch on but there’s always at least one that catches on and gets to continue. Just the nature of serialized stories.

Fantastic Member

Probably the last cool era we had with X-men students.
    ... I loved it too but I also wonder if that's not the source of all the new trainee angst. That series overloaded us with so many new characters it was impossible to develop them all.