Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sidetracked View Post
    Just caught up on the reveals and man, this is underwhelming.

I know Krakoa wasn't for everyone, but after that period of creativity and evolution this seems like being a step backwards.

I hope I'm wrong, and that there's a real hook to this era. Nothing so far is enticing me to read from day one though.
    Yeah… I think this is the main let down more than anything. Not to say that individual titles can’t and won’t be high quality, but the direction for the line as a whole seems to be, “Scattered to the wind and picking up the pieces.” That’s just not new… especially for X-Men. Krakoa’s time was here, but I wish they had tried to come up with a hook that at least attempted to be as innovative as Krakoa. We can only hope that they’re holding out on some big details so that they don’t spoil the end of FoX.

Astonishing Member

Just caught up on the reveals and man, this is underwhelming.

I know Krakoa wasn't for everyone, but after that period of creativity and evolution this seems like being a step backwards.

I hope I'm wrong, and that there's a real hook to this era. Nothing so far is enticing me to read from day one though.
    It totally is. Krakoa was a big ideas gamble with Hickman & co.. These new books are just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. It's a very Brevoort thing. Other than going for Decimation 2.0 to farm outrage since he thinks that sells, there's not much else they can do.

Extraordinary Member

Every book being tied to the same core premise is boring and has been a problem with the X-line for most of the last two decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    It totally is. Krakoa was a big ideas gamble with Hickman & co.. These new books are just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. It's a very Brevoort thing. Other than going for Decimation 2.0 to farm outrage since he thinks that sells, there's not much else they can do.
    Hickman's big idea was to flip everything upside down and let everyone else do whatever they wanted (i.e., see what sticks and for how long) until his story was going to reboot everything anyway.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Yeah… I think this is the main let down more than anything. Not to say that individual titles can’t and won’t be high quality, but the direction for the line as a whole seems to be, “Scattered to the wind and picking up the pieces.” That’s just not new… especially for X-Men. Krakoa’s time was here, but I wish they had tried to come up with a hook that at least attempted to be as innovative as Krakoa. We can only hope that they’re holding out on some big details so that they don’t spoil the end of FoX.
    As mentioned in the past, given the obvious and easy to apply reset button that Hickman put in place when he created this whole Krakoa era state of things, they actualy had the golden opportunity to use a (generaly) acceptable way to erase or at least heavily alter around 20 years of Marvel's gross mismanagement* of the X-men comics from continuity and give everything a new, different and perhaps more optimistic starting point for a relaunch.

*"let's bring the mutants back to their roots", the now pointless movie rights conflict, the Inhumans push, etc.

Krakoa might be gone, but so could the destruction of Genosha, Decimination, AvX, M-Pox or Rosenbergs stuff. What remains could be a handfull of popular key points and characters, while everything else happend slightly different or not at all.

Essentialy throw the readers into a better world for mutants, but still full of conflict and struggle, together with 5 years worth of altered in universe events (most wider Marvel universe events were seldomly really affected by the X-men side of things anyway), which could be explored retroactively via flashbacks or mini series.

But to not only return to such a ... dull repetitive status quo, while still keeping the 20+ years of mismanagement continuity alive, feels like quite a waste.
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-15-2024 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    As mentioned in the past, given the obvious and easy to apply reset button that Hickman put in place when he created this whole Krakoa era state of things, they actualy had the golden opportunity to use a (generaly) acceptable way to erase or at least heavily alter around 20 years of Marvel's gross mismanagement* of the X-men comics from continuity and give everything a new, different and perhaps more optimistic starting point for a relaunch.

*"let's bring the mutants back to their roots", the now pointless movie rights conflict, the Inhumans push, etc.

Krakoa might be gone, but so could the destruction of Genosha, Decimination, AvX, M-Pox or Rosenbergs stuff. What remains could be a handfull of popular key points and characters, while everything else happend slightly different or not at all.

Essentialy throw the readers into a better world for mutants, but still full of conflict and struggle, together with 5 years worth of altered in universe events (most wider Marvel universe events were seldomly really affected by the X-men side of things anyway), which could be explored retroactively via flashbacks or mini series.

But to not only return to such a ... dull repetitive status quo, while still keeping the 20+ years of mismanagement continuity alive, feels like quite a waste.
    Idk dude... there's two case studies to consider when thinking about why this wouldn't work. Both the New 52 and OMD attempted this very thing of altering continuity to keep only the "best stuff", while resetting the franchise to base settings. Both ended up being a total mess partially because an editor's bias of what is "the best" will always come through. Then comes the constant questions and complaints about what is and isn't canon. Sure the 90s represent when the franchise was at it's most popular... but it also had a lot of bad stories. On the other hand the 2000s and early 2010s weren't as popular, but you can still find PLENTY of well-received stories in there.

Astonishing Member

Idk dude... there's two case studies to consider when thinking about why this wouldn't work. Both the New 52 and OMD attempted this very thing of altering continuity to keep only the "best stuff", while resetting the franchise to base settings. Both ended up being a total mess partially because an editor's bias of what is "the best" will always come through. Then comes the constant questions and complaints about what is and isn't canon. Sure the 90s represent when the franchise was at it's most popular... but it also had a lot of bad stories. On the other hand the 2000s and early 2010s weren't as popular, but you can still find PLENTY of well-received stories in there.
    True. Those are valid points and concerns.

Still at this point one has to wonder how long this continuity can keep on going with, metaphorical speaking, so many open wounds and never enough time to let them properly heal?
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-15-2024 at 03:34 PM.

We can only hope that they’re holding out on some big details so that they don’t spoil the end of FoX.
    That's the main hope at this point. And to be fair that could well be the case; there are lots of questions from what little we've seen so far. It just feels a bit rudderless on first impressions.

Staying positive, at least Cyclops and Magik are in the same book. If I do end up picking any books up on day one then that roster pretty much decides which one I'm gonna get.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

That's the main hope at this point. And to be fair that could well be the case; there are lots of questions from what little we've seen so far. It just feels a bit rudderless on first impressions.

Staying positive, at least Cyclops and Magik are in the same book. If I do end up picking any books up on day one then that roster pretty much decides which one I'm gonna get.
    At least Cyclops and Magik got the best writer out of the bunch.

Wonder if we'll get a crossover with Avengers since the writer Jed McKay is also the writer of the current Avengers ongoing.

You know, it just occurred to me that Idie being in the book with Quentin means that she’s gonna be on the same team as her ex. Wonder if anyone is gonna remember that bit of continuity.

Fantastic Member

looks like marvel had a bunch of layoffs today which might explain why we have such c and d list talent on the x-books. kinds weird it went from talking with the likes of remender and jim lee and supposedly some other high end talent to what we ve been given so far

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    You know, it just occurred to me that Idie being in the book with Quentin means that she’s gonna be on the same team as her ex. Wonder if anyone is gonna remember that bit of continuity.
    I mean, its a pretty significant factor in the current Sabretooth War storyline so I would be extremely surprised if it was forgotten by the writer using them two months from now.

Quote Originally Posted by bishop66 View Post
    looks like marvel had a bunch of layoffs today which might explain why we have such c and d list talent on the x-books. kinds weird it went from talking with the likes of remender and jim lee and supposedly some other high end talent to what we ve been given so far
    https://variety.com/2024/film/news/m...fs-1235971962/

Marvel laid off 15 staffers on Monday, including lower-level production and development employees in Marvel Studios in Burbank as well as employees in the Marvel Entertainment division in New York.

The layoffs were predicated by the overall reduction in Marvel’s slate of film and TV titles after the challenges of the 2023 releases led the company to reassess the rapid increase in productions to feed the launch of Disney+. They’re also meant to address Disney’s decision in March 2023 to absorb the Marvel Entertainment banner, which had operated as an independent unit, into other divisions of the company, which created redundant positions.

The studio is not anticipating any additional impacts.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    At least Cyclops and Magik got the best writer out of the bunch.

Wonder if we'll get a crossover with Avengers since the writer Jed McKay is also the writer of the current Avengers ongoing.
    As someone who wasn't as attached to Krakoa, at the end of the day I just want the books I'm interested in reading to be good, and the books I want to read are the ones that have Cyclops in it.
    So I just got a lot of optimism going into this new era, I have Cyclops in a apparently prominent role in a book written by Jed McKay and as a bonus Magik is in the book too.

I just hope it's as good as I believe it can be.

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    As someone who wasn't as attached to Krakoa, at the end of the day I just want the books I'm interested in reading to be good, and the books I want to read are the ones that have Cyclops in it.
    So I just got a lot of optimism going into this new era, I have Cyclops in a apparently prominent role in a book written by Jed McKay and as a bonus Magik is in the book too.

I just hope it's as good as I believe it can be.
    Hopefully we're going to get some good Cyke content after almost 5 years of character assassination and Scott being the butt of Jokes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Every book being tied to the same core premise is boring and has been a problem with the X-line for most of the last two decades.

Hickman's big idea was to flip everything upside down and let everyone else do whatever they wanted (i.e., see what sticks and for how long) until his story was going to reboot everything anyway.
    The books being disjointed stand alone was worse. The lack of cohesion weakened x force this entire run. Before that even more poor story telling. I need a big threat and actual storytelling that uplifts the characters, so far this new runs premise isn't it.