Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

I'm not sorry, Quentin looks like a soyjack reaction image in that second panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Exceptional X-Men is just Generation X but with Kitty replacing Sean.

Stegman's Cyclops looks like Teen Scott. Probably the build. When the teen O5 were around, people drew adult Scott with a huge Steve Rogers build.

I saw someone complaining cuz Jubes and Emma showed some thigh. Good grief.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    It actually reminds me of the Bendis era where Emma and Cyclops were recruiting new teen characters and training them as X-men

Stegman's Cyclops looks like Teen Scott. Probably the build. When the teen O5 were around, people drew adult Scott with a huge Steve Rogers build.

I can see people thinking that Jubilee in such a costume seems a bit...off. But Emma? That's kind of her brand - I expect her to be the very last woman in the greater X-universe to cover up, maybe the very last hero in Marvel. Well, a tie between her and Namor.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I'm wondering if Scott is a clone of the original, whose eyes have been sewn shut.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I'm wondering if Scott is a clone of the original, whose eyes have been sewn shut.
    They already resolved that . Orchis fixed him up for some reason.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    It actually reminds me of the Bendis era where Emma and Cyclops were recruiting new teen characters and training them as X-men
    I thought the same thing about all three books. Bendis era divided into three books. Brevoort had success with him, so maybe he looked back to his best selling run.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x-mind View Post
    it will never make sense to me why the (mostly inexperienced) writers prefer to create new characters in their flagship title, than using already established ones. Especially since we know that after this run, these new characters will get to background limbo as well.
    Also Bronze, Axo, and Melee? Couldn't they be more creative with their codenames?
    I wholeheartedly agree. I am so sick of new writers always creating new character's. Its not an excuse, all the history, there are plenty of websites that break it down so the new writers won't be overwhelmed. Older writers did it. They can do it too. Then there is the editors that seem to be basically non-existent.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 03-18-2024 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree. I am so sick of new writers always creating new character's. Its not an excuse, all the history, there are plenty of websites that break it down so the new writers won't be overwhelmed. Older writers did it. They can do it too. Then there is the editors that seem to be basically non-existent.
    I think Gail mentioned that it's hard to write about the just discovered they're a mutant experience (which is considered foundational to the X-Men by a lot of writers) with a character who has been around for 10 years or more. Once they leave that "new" grouping, they then have to compete for panel time with the likes of, well, EVERY mutant from Cyclops to Tempus, and every character created in between them.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think Gail mentioned that it's hard to write about the just discovered they're a mutant experience (which is considered foundational to the X-Men by a lot of writers) with a character who has been around for 10 years or more. Once they leave that "new" grouping, they then have to compete for panel time with the likes of, well, EVERY mutant from Cyclops to Tempus, and every character created in between them.
    If memory serves that sounds pretty much like something the still current X-editor said in an 2022 X-men Monday interview.

That there is a certain spotlight for stories about being a young mutant, but once a character is not young and new anymore, they can no longer fill that spotlight and therefor get added to the big pile of "old characters", which is also where the big names will always get the spotlight.

Either way it shows they are completely aware of how doomed these characters are, but still create them anyway because of wishing to repeat allready told story beats.

Which is pretty much where adaptations have a big advantage, they can repeat the young and new story with old characters over and over or draw from the hundreds of yet unused ones instead. Though that won't necessarily stop them from creating originals too like Spyke and X-23.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    If memory serves that sounds pretty much like something the still current X-editor said in an 2022 X-men Monday interview.

That there is a certain spotlight for stories about being a young mutant, but once a character is not young and new anymore, they can no longer fill that spotlight and therefor get added to the big pile of "old characters", which is also where the big names will always get the spotlight.

Either way it shows they are completely aware of how doomed these characters are, but still create them anyway because of wishing to repeat allready told story beats.

Which is pretty much where adaptations have a big advantage, they can repeat the young and new story with old characters over and over or draw from the hundreds of yet unused ones instead. Though that won't necessarily stop them from creating originals too like Spyke and X-23.
    I had the quote right, but the source wrong it seems.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Exactatiously.

And that is perfectly understandable, based on the story Ewing pitched and wanted to tell. And it's not like all three books have brand new, never before seen characters. It's just the one book...so far. If you're not into new characters no one is forcing you to buy it. Presumably, if you're like most fans, you'd be buying it for either Emma or Kate or both which, if that's the case, the others are neither here nor there
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

The more comments I read, the less I'm liking these, lol. I'll give Gails a shot, and Storm, because Storm is a thing. I like Kwannon, but she's not Psylocke. The woman in my Avatar is. I enjoyed Kwannon much more during Krakoa. Even in that stupid thongkini.

Quote Originally Posted by x-mind View Post
    it will never make sense to me why the (mostly inexperienced) writers prefer to create new characters in their flagship title, than using already established ones. Especially since we know that after this run, these new characters will get to background limbo as well.
    Also Bronze, Axo, and Melee? Couldn't they be more creative with their codenames?
    Well, I think editorial allows it so that new or lesser writers don't have to do extensive research. They create a bunch of throwaway characters so that if they succeed, great, but if they fail nobody would care.

It's already predictable what Eve Ewing is trying to accomplish...create a team of mostly P.O.C X-Men and probably queer set in an urban setting. She will try to low key make a "black" X-Men book, but without any of the black characters we actually care about. I wish her luck, and I will at least give it a shot for five issues.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Guaranteed royalties and the slight chance that they end of being a breakout character. Plus it’s probably easier to do a character arc with an OC than with 50-60 year old characters that Marvel won’t let you change in the slightest.
    NONE of that is guaranteed.

There is a reason Larry Hama is still doing GI Joe at age 75. He get NO royalties. All those comics and all those BIOS on the back of the action figures came from HIM.

The artist who helped design Black Lightning only got $500 when that show started.

You are still at the mercy of the company who chooses and approves who gets on those projects.

Remember what was John Stewart doing in comics before Justice League Cartoon?
    Bumblebee and Vixen have been around near 50 years-they have both done more on tv than in comics.
    Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Gamora and Starlord were doing WHAT in comics before Bendis?
    Jessica Jones and Like Cage before Bendis?
    Carol Danvers?

Marvel will have NO issue taking Dr Ewing's book with Emma and Kitty and tossing those new folks away and putting in Surge, Dusk and Hellion. If they were going to adapt that book.

Is that Dr Ewing wanting new folks or is that editorial?

Most of the time it's EDITORIAL unless those new characters have a set purpose due to plot.