Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Are you referring to the brief period when NEW MUTANTS highlighted the OG Muties and X-MEN in good standing mentoring new students at ACADEMY X? They had different "House" names depending on who your mentor was. Dani got to keep the moniker NEW MUTANTS because the book started as a vehicle for her as the lead. I recall Wolfsbane's group was the PARAGONS..Emma had HELLIONS, Cyclops had CORSAIRS, CHEVALIERS was Gambits, there were others....
    Adding ALPHA SQUADRON - initially mentored by Northstar, then Karma assumed the lead...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    That was a cool era.
    Indeed it was. But in hindsight the massive number of individual student characters was also a logistic issue for the comics and writing longterm, simply because there was no achievable end point for any of them.

These comics aren't allowed to progress and reach certain narrative conclusions. No time can truely progress, no age really overstepped, no roles can be handed to younger replacements.

New X-men Acadamy was great as an idea in a stand alone universe where the entire focus on the world is on these students and their path towards graduation. Like in the various high school manga with super powers or martial arts skills. Where no other series or ancient characters of greater importance would make their existence of secondary or tertieray importance.

But this is the Marvel Universe.

Perhaps one day they will get their chance with an animated adapation. The blueprint is there after all.

Honestly, I thought the massive student body was a great idea. It helped sell that this was a school, and there were students who had actual identities, powers and lives outside of the characters we follow. They didn't need to have a lot of focus or be followed up on as much, because they were largely designed to flesh out the world and exist away from it all.

Of course, we were supposed to get minis for each of the teams so they could all get fleshed out and have time in the limelight. That would have been a nice way to highlight them without taking focus away from other characters. But that ship sailed with M-Day, so.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Indeed it was. But in hindsight the massive number of individual student characters was also a logistic issue for the comics and writing longterm, simply because there was no achievable end point for any of them.

These comics aren't allowed to progress and reach certain narrative conclusions. No time can truely progress, no age really overstepped, no roles can be handed to younger replacements.

New X-men Acadamy was great as an idea in a stand alone universe where the entire focus on the world is on these students and their path towards graduation. Like in the various high school manga with super powers or martial arts skills. Where no other series or ancient characters of greater importance would make their existence of secondary or tertieray importance.

But this is the Marvel Universe.

Perhaps one day they will get their chance with an animated adapation. The blueprint is there after all.
    Tbh I'd have been fine with them being permanent teenagers if they had an ongoing. Keep them contained and in their own niche. You could slowly rotate students in and out while still keeping things feeling consistent.
    Last edited by Rift; 03-20-2024 at 09:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Perfect! Fresh but has all classic and recognazible stuff.

Also it looks cool even without tranchcoat. It is always a plus.

We are so lucky with Marquez on Uncanny. He will kill it!

Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Loving this design for Remy.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Can we expect an announcement for one of the other 6 titles tomorrow?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Perfect! Fresh but has all classic and recognazible stuff.

Also it looks cool even without tranchcoat. It is always a plus.

We are so lucky with Marquez on Uncanny. He will kill it!
    Agreed. His redesigns for Rogue, Nightcrawler and Wolverine are also subtle but cool and functional and I'm sure his Uncanny X-Men will look drool-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by MVComics View Post
    I'm not so sure, I think they are saving those for the next con.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Agreed. His redesigns for Rogue, Nightcrawler and Wolverine are also subtle but cool and functional and I'm sure his Uncanny X-Men will look drool-worthy.
    I'd like to see a clearer image of all of them like the Gambit one he shared.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by MVComics View Post
    I do wonder what the June solicitations will look like. What do we know is releasing so far?
    Uncanny #700
    Blood Hunt: Magik
    Blood Hunt: Jubilee
    Ms. Marvel: Mutant Menace #4.
    And then side series like Weapon X-Men #4, Madripoor Knights #5, and X-Men '97 #4.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I do wonder what the June solicitations will look like. What do we know is releasing so far?
    Uncanny #700
    Blood Hunt: Magik
    Blood Hunt: Jubilee
    Ms. Marvel: Mutant Menace #4.
    And then side series like Weapon X-Men #4, Madripoor Knights #5, and X-Men '97 #4.
    X-Men: Heir of Apocalypse starts in June, with two issues coming out that month.

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    X-Men: Heir of Apocalypse starts in June, with two issues coming out that month.
    Oh duh I knew that! Thank you.

Yeah, I think June is probably set. I'm actually more wondering about July and what other new era series might get announced for a start that month. Wolverine would make sense, with Deadpool 3 coming out that month. Or possibly X-Force, if rumors are true and it will have Deadpool & Wolverine in it for MCU synergy.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”