Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Gail Stuff!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Hi Gail,

I'm incredibly excited to read your Uncanny when it hits and would also like to thank you for making yourself available for questions on here, it's very much appreciated!

I have tons of questions I'd like to ask but I'll limit myself to one for now: can we expect you to write any other X-books aside from Uncanny?

I can't say much but I have written a couple smaller things...

Man, this sucks, I can't say anything!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Speaking of hair, Northstar and Aurora lost their highly reflective shine. Maybe they stopped using Pantene lol
    Two of my all-time favorites.

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

I know you can't really talk about Jean much because it would probably be spoilers for Gillen's X-Men Forever/Rise of the Powers of X and/or the Phoenix solo but what do you think of her as a character?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Thunderbird View Post
    I know you can't really talk about Jean much because it would probably be spoilers for Gillen's X-Men Forever/Rise of the Powers of X and/or the Phoenix solo but what do you think of her as a character?
    Ack, okay, this is going to sound goofy maybe.

But Jean is one of the first truly powerful redhead female characters I ever experienced in comics. And the way Claremont wrote her, as smart and powerful and capable, that was just MOMENTOUS for me. I know a lot of writers added so much to her but those stories blew my tiny little farmer's daughter's mind.

I love her. Not much else to say...I think she and Storm are the twin Queens of the X-Universe.

Amazing Member

Is it weird that I am doing these out of order?

I am kind of answering on the fly and some questions have answers too complicated to really summarize quickly.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sisterhood Of Mutants View Post
    Hi, Gail! Welcome!

You had me at Southern Gothic, tbh.

I love how you highlight overlooked characters and relationships in your books. New Orleans is Remy’s old haunt, and I’m sure his family (and enemies) may poke their heads in, but I’m hoping we also see some faces from Rogue’s equally colorful history. I loved her mothers getting a spotlight during Krakoa, and I enjoyed her old Brotherhood teammates, like Pyro and Fred Dukes, being given new leases on life. What was frustrating is that we never saw her interact with any of them.

Rogue and Destiny had maybe three books worth of interaction throughout the entirety of Krakoa, while Kurt (and good for him, but come on lol) got all the page time and development with their mothers. As of now, Rogue and Mystique still have not interacted a single time during Krakoa. The last time they spoke on panel was six years ago (in Kelly Thompson’s excellent Mr. and Mrs. X).

What I’m saying is: I fiercely miss the dynamics between those three, and would kill to hear your voices for Mystique/Destiny.

(Also wouldn’t say no to some kind of incredibly awkward brunch scene between Rogue and Gambit’s families.)

I think I’m probably most excited for your take on this team because of how you’ve written characters like Domino, Black Canary, and Huntress. Rogue and Gambit are at their best when their rough edges aren’t sanded off; they’re charming and mischievous, but still streetwise and tough, with the echoes of the hard backgrounds and manipulative families they’ve both come from. Rogue’s Oops Almost All Villains team from the Supernovas arc remains the most hilarious and on brand thing she’s done in ages.

On that note… it’d be cool to see her with another team like that at one point. Characters like her mothers, Lady Deathstrike, Frenzy, Spiral, Phantazia, Lady Mastermind…

Okay. I swear I started with the intent of asking actual questions, and instead just vomited out a rambling wishlist. Sorry.

Anyway! Can’t wait to see your versions of Rogue and Gambit.

I love this post, and while I can't say too much, this relationship WILL be shown. Is it in Uncanny? I can't say!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Do you like Hellion?
    Where is Hellion?
    Is there a future for Hellion? Are there ANY plans for him at all? I don't need to know the specifics or anything. I just need to know Hellion.
    I know this is a running gag here, but I'm not in on it, so I will just answer:

HEAT BEAMS.

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Hey Gail!!!

So excited to have you writing Uncanny. The entire cast are favorites of mine… but my all-time favorite duo is that of Jubilee and Wolverine. I have, I believe, every issue the both of them have ever been in together.
    With this being said, it has been a long time since anything meaningful has happened between them in the comics. We didn’t even get to see any reaction from Logan after Jubilee temporarily died at the Gala. What can we expect to see between them as far as dynamics go? Will you be writing them with their classic surrogate father-daughter bond?

Speaking of family bonds- we have yet to see Jubilee ask about the whereabouts of her son Shogo since coming back in Dead X-Men. Although some fans might feel Shogo held Jubilee back over the past many years- some writers have been able to find that balance. Christina Strain’s use of Jubilee in the second volume of Gen X comes to mind- she became a leader and still had time to parent her kid. As an adoptive parent myself, that bond between them became something I did enjoy- however- I also understand if Marvel decides that ship has sailed. At the very least, can you say if readers might be able to see Jubilee ask about or mention Shogo? Even desperately realizing she cannot locate him (if he’s in Otherworld as a dragon still…) and vowing to return to him one day would make for a very emotional story. Also, I’d hate to see him just never to be mentioned on panel and just have Jubes act like she’s never had a son. What are your thoughts on this?

Lastly- Jubilee grew exponentially in X-Terminators as far as her powers go- might we be able to see a continued exploration of her power potential?

Thanks!!!

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Hey, Gail

Love your team so far and can't wait to see the whole team revealed.

Nightcrawler is one of my favorite characters. What made you choose him for your team? How do you see Kurt and what can we expect for him?

Hi Gail!

I literally came out of years of lurking when I saw this post. As a longtime Gambit fan, I am so excited to see him used in a more than wallpaper capacity and further stoked to see what you do with the New Orleans angle.

My only question (which you may not be able to answer) is will the kingship of the Thieves Guild be addressed? Gambit seems to have gone from King of Thieves to not without any explanation.

Regardless if you can answer or not, I just want to say I haven't been this hopeful for solid Remy Lebeau representation in a long time, and your enthusiasm for the character gives me the warm fuzzies. I don't think I have been this excited for a new run, ever. I look forward to seeing you work your magic!

Quote Originally Posted by ComixGail View Post

But Jean is one of the first truly powerful redhead female characters I ever experienced in comics. And the way Claremont wrote her, as smart and powerful and capable, that was just MOMENTOUS for me. I know a lot of writers added so much to her but those stories blew my tiny little farmer's daughter's mind.

I love her. Not much else to say...I think she and Storm are the twin Queens of the X-Universe.
    Gail! ❤️🔥🥹
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

I wish I could be more specific. The biggest problem we all have is trying to fit all the good stuff in that we can without making it seem like a Pokemon guidebook!
    I'll take that as as much answer as you can give XD
    And I hope you get to write at least moments here and there. With X-men blue origins, at least, you got material XD

Gail please tell me Rogue and Kurt will have playful brother/sister interactions with each other in your book?

I love the Darkholme family lol.

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

Thanks for the answer. I'm anxious to see where Jean will end up in upcoming comics.

Now for another question. Will there be more human civilians who are willing to show sympathy for/and or aid the mutants? I know that one of the major themes of the X-Men tackles the prejudice mutants face from regular humans but I'd like to see plenty that are sympathetic too.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    Gail please tell me Rogue and Kurt will have playful brother/sister interactions with each other in your book?

I love the Darkholme family lol.
    I promise this bit.

SOME serious stuff is happening up front but I don't want to write miserable X-men every issue1