Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Gail Stuff!

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComixGail View Post
    Not in my series, not immediately. That is not to say they won't show up. And I love Mike Carey's work!
    !?
    He had such a great run. I would love to see some of his ideas again. I especially loved how he explored Xavier.

Xavier has had a good era so I can't REALLY ask if he's in the new era!! I want to ask you if the reveal of his role in wiping Mystique's memories of Kurt will affect Kurt's view on Xavier's dream, especially considering Xavier brought Rogue into the X-Men but she didn't get her powers working right until way, way later.

I kind of hate all the Xavier is revealed to be a jerk plots (let him be a jerk up front) but Rogue is Xavier's best student. I love the potential for drama. <3
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2009
    --- the best there is at what I do ---

Unglaublich!

Hi Gail,

With the Krakoan Age ending, will that make The Spark obsolete? I suppose without a mutant nation, there's no real call for a mutant religion? If The Spark is now a done concept, will Kurt's feelings towards that be looked at in any way?

Will we be predominantly seeing hyper-religious Kurt (be that Catholicism or The Spark), swashbuckling Kurt or a combination of the two traits?

Any love interests for him? Amanda Sefton's fate is (I think) still unclear after Claremont's NC series a few years back - might she be popping up? Or even Bloody Bess??

Kurt got some decent spotlights shone on him during Krakoa from Spurrier and Gillen, so I'm very interested to see where this new era will take him under your pen!

Welcome back Ms. Simone, I think you'll find the cbr forums a much friendlier place since the reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by ComixGail View Post
    It's definitely got a Southern Gothic tone, and I think it's going to be one of the scariest X-men books, we deal with a lot of...let's say ABNORMAL stuff.

And it's going to be hot. I fully expect to hear from Marvel about some of what we have planned.
    Since I'm rereading your Secret Six run, I've got to ask: On a scale of 1 to Junior, how scary and abnormal are we talking?
    No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.
    - Helen Keller

Hi Gail (Professor S?!),

Big Gen X fan here and very excited about Jubilee. I love from the trailer that Jubes seems formidable and is sporting a wonderfully modernized design. Are the waitresses in that diner supposed to be characters we already know? Got Wind Dancer and Cam Long vibes.

Speaking of Jubilee, do we see her get any love interests in your book? What are your thoughts on what seemed to be a budding relationship with X-23 during Marjorie Liu's run (which would now be a wild love triangle with Synch lol).

Also, given their prominent roles in Krakoa, are there any chances to see Synch and Monet grace the pages of Uncanny? It'd be a shame to see their profiles skyrocket to only diminish upon Krakoa's fall. Both are key relationships to Jubilee and Monet is no stranger to horror.

Anyway, eagerly anticipating your book. I love new characters, I love Jubilee, and I love all of the teases you've provided thus far.

Fantastic Member

I'll keep it simple and spoiler free:

Favorite Storm costume(s)?

Is Dazzler best relegated to Disco relicdom?

Of the Summers Brothers, why is Havoc considered the hot one (I feel like I started a holy war just now lol)

Ok, maybe not simple. I'm afraid to ask this because it's such a loaded question. Everyone's got their take on the mutant-as-minority metaphor, and in your case, you were casually breaking boundaries years ago without nearly as much "It's Woke! No you're a bigot!" culture war noise of today -- at least it appeared casual, you know better than I. Given where the culture's at, and all the various fears of where it's headed ... what's your hot take on where the mutant-as-minority/outcast stand now? What does it need to stand for? In all the variations on that theme in x-men, do you have favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    I'll keep it simple and spoiler free:

Favorite Storm costume(s)?

Is Dazzler best relegated to Disco relicdom?

Of the Summers Brothers, why is Havoc considered the hot one (I feel like I started a holy war just now lol)

Ok, maybe not simple. I'm afraid to ask this because it's such a loaded question. Everyone's got their take on the mutant-as-minority metaphor, and in your case, you were casually breaking boundaries years ago without nearly as much "It's Woke! No you're a bigot!" culture war noise of today -- at least it appeared casual, you know better than I. Given where the culture's at, and all the various fears of where it's headed ... what's your hot take on where the mutant-as-minority/outcast stand now? What does it need to stand for? In all the variations on that theme in x-men, do you have favorites?
    Maybe Because Gabe is nutz and Scott is boring? (in that way)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Maybe Because Gabe is nutz and Scott is boring? (in that way)
    Well, I have my own opinion on this, as does Logan, and definitely Claremont/Lee went out of their way to make Alex the boneable one even if Scott had more relationships, but I was curious on our guest of honor's take (is it a guest of honor when they're here all the time, had a column, and haunted these boards way before I did? Does that make me the squatter?)

All-New Member YouKnowItMakesSense's Avatar

Hi Gail,

Long time reader, first time asker. The lineup for your book looks good, especially in a traditional sense, and I am glad to see that in the main book we have Rogue and Gambit as the premier couple rather than Scott and Jean/Emma for once. I can safely say from my experience of your team books in the past I'm particularly looking forward to how you write Nightcrawler, as Kurt is my favourite X-Man and I think his comedic nature would suit your talents as a comic writer. Also I can imagine he and Logan's bromance would be right up your street

As to any questions, I would like to ask what characters already established are likely to appear as guest stars. Going by your previous work with Marvel I can see you have a soft spot for the Liefeld era X-Force team, so I assume the likes of the New Mutants characters could easily appear? Without giving away too much I'd just like to know what X-books/runs you like outside of Uncanny and that period of X-Force to get a feel for characters you'd be keen to use, if that's alright

Not a question, just please tell me if Gambit’s cats are all right so I can sleep at night.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    Not a question, just please tell me if Gambit’s cats are all right so I can sleep at night.
    I just saw this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/statu...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
    Make Good Art

I’m just grateful my inquiry was taken with the seriousness it deserved.

Hi Gail!

I have to ask, are we going to see the continued growth of Jubilee's powers? In X-Terminators, she explored some new potential, and it would be great to see her finally do more than shoot glitter-bombs from her hands! As a character, I feel Jubilee deserves to be given some proper development in regard to her potentially omega-level powerset.

Also, in Generation X vol.2 Jubilee started a relationship with Chamber, but after that series ended they haven't been seen together since. Will we be seeing him at all?

Thanks!

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    Hi Gail!

I have to ask, are we going to see the continued growth of Jubilee's powers? In X-Terminators, she explored some new potential, and it would be great to see her finally do more than shoot glitter-bombs from her hands! As a character, I feel Jubilee deserves to be given some proper development in regard to her potentially omega-level powerset.

Also, in Generation X vol.2 Jubilee started a relationship with Chamber, but after that series ended they haven't been seen together since. Will we be seeing him at all?

Thanks!
    I absolutely second this question- would love to see Jubilee’s powers expanded upon. Chamber was great for her, but that storyline dropped unfortunately… also… what about Shogo? Any hints on this stuff, Gail?

Thanks!

Hi Gail,

I'm sure everyone appreciates you taking the time to do some Q&A so thank you for this. I have a few questions for you if you are allowed to answer them.

1. With Logan and Kurt being on the team will we get to see them being buddies outside of X-Men activities like having a drink at a bar, maybe with Peter hanging out as well?

2. Obviously without spoiling anything, are there any scenes that David Marquez has turned in that you think will just blow everyone away? I think he is a great artist and am looking forward to having him on the title.

3. For someone that's not super familiar with your work what would you recommend they read to get a general "feel" for how you will tell this story, if that even applies to this. If Uncanny X-Men is something that will be different from your previous work, what would you recommend to read that you are most proud of? Sorry if that sounds weird or rude, I know that every story is different but I find authors usually have a "voice" that can be felt in most of their work regardless of genre or plot and that voice is what makes them unique imo.

Thanks again for taking some time out of your day to do this!
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Great to have you on the boards, Gail.

We've only got 5 confirmed members on your team, I'm assuming that'll grow over time or just hidden for now. I'm sure things are under wraps, but can we expect any OG New Mutants or Gen X members to join team? Synch and Monet would be great compliment to have with Jubilee, and would also stand on their own with all the heavy hitters, too. Mirage could really use a great writer like you to elevate her outside of B-List status, as well. Or maybe you're taking some of these characters into another book we haven't heard details about yet.