Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Gail Stuff!

Gail!

1) It was necesary to erase five years of development instead of search a common ground? i mean Krakoa is forever?

2) your opinion in Rogue and the control of her powers? Nostalgia will take the development that Carey did in 2007?

3) Why the X-office went for one extreme to the other extreme? I can think that Fall of the house of X is the avengers disassembled of the X-men?

Hey Gail! Thanks for interacting with the fans, that's nice of you.

I have a lot of questions and I guess most of them you can't answer. But I'll give it a try

1- What is the general tone of the book?
    2- Will we get any hints at the Bloodhunt event?

Do you like Hellion?
    Where is Hellion?
    Is there a future for Hellion? Are there ANY plans for him at all? I don't need to know the specifics or anything. I just need to know Hellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

All-New Member

Hi Gail!!

Congrats on your new book!! Can't wait to see your rendition on the Uncanny X-Men.

Aside from the characters used and the stories that can't be spoil at this moment, I would like to ask more about the narrative process.

For the most part of the Marvel story, the narrative of the comics seems to have a lot of freedom on the path and the lenght of the stories to be told. For example, Days of Future Past only lasted two issues. But then, at some point, everything seems to be told on 6-issues format, or maybe two 3-issues stories, what it is the TPB structure. In the last years, durind the Krakoa age, it seems to me that this formula is a bit less restrictive, with solo issues, two or three issues arcs. Do you have in mind this kinds of aspects whenever you have to plan the narratives that you want to told. In my opinion, the more freedom have the writer, the better for the comic-books.

And second, what is your opion on "old" narrative resources like buble thougts or narrative boxes?? I like them a lot, because they allow the writer to increase the depth and the motivations on the characters, and I think that were a good thing back in the day.

Thanks for be here, and wish you the best on your new journey!!

HI Gail,

Was it purposely done to Omit the Classic Gold team members off the teaser??? I notice not one of them are there.
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

Haven't seen anybody ask about villains that will be used. I know you can't give names and such, but can we expect to see new villains? Do you have plans for any classic villains as well? Thanks.

Greetings, Gail!

I am both excited and cautious over this new direction. I will definitely check it out and I am excited for you to use Rogue, Gambit, and Nightcrawler. Rogue and Gambit are A-list characters but they aren't always treated as such -especially by the fandom which is often based on their portrayals in the comics. I think you will do great with their voices. I am excited that a writer is coming on board that excels at both character moments and "directing" action scenes.

I loved Krakoa but I missed the days where the X-men were a little more relatable - not only interacting with non-mutants but wearing civilian clothes. I am excited to see an X-men book where characters might still believe in some version of "the dream." I know it is not popular these days to lean toward Xavier's ideas (he's seen as too naïve and often reduced to only respectability politics when in truth it should be more nuanced than that). Fans often get stuck in the "Magneto was right vs Xavier was right" when in actuality both have pros and cons with their approaches and ideas.

I don't really have a question, but I wish great things with this new era - many fans will mourn for Krakoa and the possibilities it gave -seeing the mutants on top and accomplishing big things but hopefully most fans will give this new direction a shot.

P.s. I saw where a guy on twitter ask about the OG 90s Gold Team members and that fan and I have something in common, during the announcement I was looking for some news on Iceman, Bishop, Archangel and Colossus. I am excited to learn the creative teams for Phoenix and Storm.

p.s.s. Of course we want to see more Black X-men and others of color in the new direction (Bishop, Monet, Synch, etc.). We will always want to see the LGBT representation (looking at Iceman among so many others). We hope we have writers, artists, and editors who will use an equity lens and take care to include diverse characters (and voices) in the books.
    Last edited by MechaJeanix; 03-15-2024 at 05:45 AM.

Gail, what are your thoughts on Jean re-embracing her Phoenix bond and identity?
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

This costume is fire, Gail! Can I ask who designed it? Was it David Marquez or someone else?

Such a rad, simple take on his old yellow and blue suit from the 90s. Whoever designed it improved upon a classic IMO.

Second question: Can you tell us anything about X-Force yet? Probably not much, but worth a shot to see if I can get a tease out of you. Will it be led by Cable, and thus a reversion to a more X-Force Classic model? Or led by Wolverine, which IMO is more X-Force 2.0 in that it marked a shift from the “Nathan mentoring child soldiers” model to more of a straight up black ops hit squad?

Just trying to get a feel for which model this incarnation of X-Force will employ… old school 90s paramilitary X-men or 00s black ops kill squad? The mutant CIA model most recently employed in my mind still follows the latter model. Led by Logan, doing wetworks stuff, just directed by an intel branch headed by first Beast then Sage. Still feels like X-Force 2.0 to me, versus the more classic “X-men with guns and swords” model.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 03-15-2024 at 05:42 AM.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Also, I’ll add re: the Logan costume, one thing that I’ve noticed about it is the colors could easily shift to brown and tan for black ops work. I’ve always thought it would be cool if he had a Forge-designed Wolverine suit that could simply change color depending on the mission… yellow/blue for superhero $#!t with the X-men or Avengers, and brown/tan for black ops solo missions or X-Force work. This new one actually works quite well for that… just an observation…

IMG_3181.jpg

“Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Spectacular Member mattsarchamp's Avatar

Greetings, Madam Gail!

Nice to see you here interacting with us fans and readers. I've read some of your works like those Domino mini series back then and I found them very interesting and at one time you included Longshot in your story which I loved. Maybe he would grace your Uncanny X-men title even for a guest appearance? Or Betsy Braddock, perhaps?

And also, will Mark Brooks continue to do some cover arts for some of the titles in this new era?

Thanks and I'll see you at the funny X-books.
    Peerless and Fearless

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilargi View Post
    Hey Gail! Thanks for interacting with the fans, that's nice of you.

I have a lot of questions and I guess most of them you can't answer. But I'll give it a try

1- What is the general tone of the book?
    2- Will we get any hints at the Bloodhunt event?
    It's definitely got a Southern Gothic tone, and I think it's going to be one of the scariest X-men books, we deal with a lot of...let's say ABNORMAL stuff.

And it's going to be hot. I fully expect to hear from Marvel about some of what we have planned.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IN-a-Synch View Post
    HI Gail,

Was it purposely done to Omit the Classic Gold team members off the teaser??? I notice not one of them are there.

One of the important things about this is that for a long, long while, almost all the key X-titles were team books, and the goal is to give some of the best characters a real spotlight, the kind of story that is only about THEM in a SOLO title. There are TWO Gold Team members getting solo titles almost immediately, and...well, all I can say is, keep watching.

Amazing Member

Also, sorry for skipping around.

I'm not avoiding anyone, but some questions, all I can say is, "I can't say anything or they'll have a Sentinel kill me."

I will come back to as many as I can without repeating myself, soon as I can, okay?

I'm on a deadline AND leaving Austin for home today, and meeting with one of my favorite directors. Time is tight!

Hey, Gail! Excited for your Uncanny X-Men! Some questions:

1) How do you feel about Rogue's close friendship with Iceman and could we see it revisited?

2) Destiny is back but we barely saw her interacting with Rogue during the Krakoa era. The last time we saw them together in an emotional way was in Mike Carey's X-Men.

My question is: do you have any interest in setting up more interactions between the fam now that you have a hold over 3 of them (Rogue, Kurt, Gambit)? This lovely piece of art by our very own Fokken always reminds me of what we're missing.