Extraordinary Member

Default DC’s Ape-ril Special #1 Preview

DC’s Ape-ril Special #1 Preview
    Writers: Various
    Artists: Various

Money Business !

I love Monsieur Mallah getting some spotlight without Brain. And Bobo isn't the only simian detective .

Pass. I've never understood people's fascination with monkeys/apes or turning characters into monkeys and/or apes, etc. Just missed the boat on that one. Lizard people, on the other hand...

Amazing Member

Does this version of the Ultra-Humanite not have a human brain? It seems odd that he's so against killing apes when presumably he had to do that get his body.

This doesn't look like my thing, but I'm glad to see that they're acknowledging and building from Mallah's betrayal of the Brain in Unstoppable Doom Patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Pass. I've never understood people's fascination with monkeys/apes or turning characters into monkeys and/or apes, etc. Just missed the boat on that one. Lizard people, on the other hand...
    ^^^I'll take monkeys over lizards any day!

BANNED

It's definitely a Silver Age thing, at least as far as DC goes. It's not my thing, really, but I appreciate them doing goofy homages to their past like this.

I enjoy lizard people.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueWhistler View Post
    Does this version of the Ultra-Humanite not have a human brain? It seems odd that he's so against killing apes when presumably he had to do that get his body.

This doesn't look like my thing, but I'm glad to see that they're acknowledging and building from Mallah's betrayal of the Brain in Unstoppable Doom Patrol.
    Maybe he's gone native ?

I thought this was one of the better anthologies in recent years. Thats mainly due to this being done by more experienced creative teams and fitting, more or less, into current continuity. So yeah, goofy premise, but I wouldn't mind if DC did more anthologies like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I thought this was one of the better anthologies in recent years. Thats mainly due to this being done by more experienced creative teams and fitting, more or less, into current continuity. So yeah, goofy premise, but I wouldn't mind if DC did more anthologies like this.
    DC loves using puns for these, so I'm looking forward to DC's "Jewel-y Summer Special" spotlighting Amethyst, Star Sapphire, Ruby, (guest starring Jade, who doesn't get her own story since Jade isn't a jewel) and Emerald Empress. Hm... DC must have a diamond character, no?

DC loves using puns for these, so I'm looking forward to DC's "Jewel-y Summer Special" spotlighting Amethyst, Star Sapphire, Ruby, (guest starring Jade, who doesn't get her own story since Jade isn't a jewel) and Emerald Empress. Hm... DC must have a diamond character, no?
    ^^^There's a minor villain named Diamond; she’s part of the Silicon Syndicate.

Eclipso (and his Black Diamond) could be the final boss in your story, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Eclipso (and his Black Diamond) could be the final boss in your story, though.
    Good one. That'd make it the "Jewel-Eye" Summer Special.

Amazing Member

Jewelee's got to be in there, too, and Diamond Jack is an obscure Golden Ager who's supposed to be in the Justice Society Dark.
    Last edited by RogueWhistler; 03-20-2024 at 08:24 AM.

That was a fun read! Good use of the characters, especially that Detective Chimp story! Glad to see Fialkov doing some DC work again. Also, how's that deep cut with Sam being Grodd's grandson? Don't think that's been brought up in almost forty years.