Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    I think that the only reason he was made a non-mutant was because Dan Slott didn't want any of his stories to clash with whatever plans were going on with the X-Men Krakoa era. Now that Slott is gone, it will turn out that he has always been a mutant.
    The non-mutant retcon was stupid. If Slott didn't want him tied up with Krakoa all he needed to do was come up with a reason for Franklin to not want to be there. Just have him realize that Xavier and Magneto were looking at him as a weapon and not a person.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I don't think that's what this is implying, but I'd be sooo glad to be wrong. I've already gone on tons of rants about it, and I'd do it again because it still has me ticked off. Slott poisoned our water supply, burned our crops, and delivered a plague unto our houses.
    Nah that would be killing off Hellion.

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    I'm always so frustrated with the X-books never holding onto talent. They seem to be able to get them when they're hot but then they're quickly gone. Like how Stefano Caselli was so good on X-Men Red but then bounced after only doing six issues, non-consecutively. I guess that's just the landscape of comics now? I feel like the Superman and Batman lines at DC always have top tier artists.
    Superman always get top tier artists, but it doesn't hold them long either,eventually DC will move them to an event or Batman.

I don't think that's what this is implying, but I'd be sooo glad to be wrong. I've already gone on tons of rants about it, and I'd do it again because it still has me ticked off. Slott poisoned our water supply, burned our crops, and delivered a plague unto our houses.
    Lol, do we need to have Slott go into witness protection?
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 03-16-2024 at 05:38 AM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Lol, do we need to have Scott go into witness protection?
    Nah, Scott's cool. I don't have a problem with him. I do have a problem with Slott, though.

Paper Doll, te amo. You never did anything wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

What if someone’s retcons have a way of snapping back?

Astonishing Member

I'm very confused why people think there's any doubt as to whether this is officially erasing the retcon and whether he's a mutant or a mutate.

He literally says right there on the page "I'm an omega level mutant." And since we've established that ultimately he's whatever the hell he wants to be.....it seems pretty cut and dried to me that this is saying - in his own words - that he's officially an omega level mutant again, just one who's adopted the habit of hiding his powers from himself 364 days out of the year until he feels he's sufficiently grown or matured enough to feel comfortable wielding them full-time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    I'm very confused why people think there's any doubt as to whether this is officially erasing the retcon and whether he's a mutant or a mutate.

He literally says right there on the page "I'm an omega level mutant." And since we've established that ultimately he's whatever the hell he wants to be.....it seems pretty cut and dried to me that this is saying - in his own words - that he's officially an omega level mutant again, just one who's adopted the habit of hiding his powers from himself 364 days out of the year until he feels he's sufficiently grown or matured enough to feel comfortable wielding them full-time.
    "I've been ... an omega level mutant." Not that I am trying to change your mind, but that is the text.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    The non-mutant retcon was stupid. If Slott didn't want him tied up with Krakoa all he needed to do was come up with a reason for Franklin to not want to be there. Just have him realize that Xavier and Magneto were looking at him as a weapon and not a person.
    It wouldn't have been all that hard either. Molly Hayes was able to stay off the island so it's not like they could not have just avoided it with ease especially as he is still a kid in the custody of his parents. Then again this is same writer who thought it would be a good idea to change Galactus from being hungry for planets to now being hungry for knowledge. And who thought that the Silver Surfer would ever willingly go back into being his herald. Pretty much expect all of his run to be ignored/undone sooner than later.

Tom Brevoort (both the current FF editor and the next X-Men editor) talked about the reasoning behind this controversial change on his newsletter :

https://tombrevoort.substack.com/p/9...es-without-any

David Baroldy : "Speaking of Dan Slott’s FF run, can you please share some insight into the changes made to Franklin? Did the idea to reveal that he was never a mutant come from Dan, you or somewhere further up the chain? Why did you think it was the right thing to do?

While the change didn’t mean a lot to me, I wasn’t surprised that it was relatively controversial. This IS comic books, after all. I was surprised, and disappointed, to see people using it to paint Dan as some kind of bigot."
    Tom Brevoort : "My memory of this, David, is that it’s something that we came up with together, though it’s quite likely that I was the one who suggested it when the question came up. And that’s likely a reflection of when I started reading the books. You see, for the first decade-plus of his existence as a character, Franklin wasn’t ever referred to as a mutant at all. Rather, his powers were clearly a result of his parents having been altered by cosmic rays (plus the additional factor of the energy from Annihilus’ Cosmic Control Rod that was necessary to ensure a safe birthing process.) Consequently, Franklin’s powers manifested almost immediately, whereas mutants (at least up to that point) typically began to display their powers in puberty. It wasn’t until the “Days of Future Past” storyline in UNCANNY X-MEN where an older Franklin was among the survivors in the dystopian future that people began to consider him a mutant. Thanks to its popularity, X-MEN tends to swallow up a lot of unrelated characters and concepts—Longshot and his cast, Captain Britain and his cast, etc. But especially with the rise of Krakoa and the change in the status of mutants worldwide, that presented some challenges to us on the Fantastic Four front. Specifically, we didn’t think it made sense for Franklin to relocate to Krakoa, nor for him to be exempt from the laws of regular humans in the way the assorted X-Men characters were. So when the opportunity presented itself to separate church and state came up, we took it. I didn’t really view it as anything other that reasserting the original status quo, but clearly some readers of a more recent vintage assigned it greater importance than that. But as I said at the start, that’s kind of the luck of the draw. Somebody’s got to wear the black hat, after all."

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    "I've been ... an omega level mutant." Not that I am trying to change your mind, but that is the text.
    We won't know for certain until the issue comes out but to me it reads like "I've been an omega level mutant but right now I choose to be just a kid until I'm ready for my powers and the responsibility they bring".

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quill-Han-Vos View Post
    Tom Brevoort (both the current FF editor and the next X-Men editor) talked about the reasoning behind this controversial change on his newsletter :

Reading that made me wonder if there was backlash when Franklin first became a mutant, like we're seeing with Kamala now.

I really really really hope they put him back to being a mutant….

Nah, Scott's cool. I don't have a problem with him. I do have a problem with Slott, though.

Paper Doll, te amo. You never did anything wrong.
    I meant Slott...damn autocorrect and not paying attention. Lol
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Quill-Han-Vos View Post

I'm sorry but answers as stupid as this just drive the point home that the keys to the castle need to stop being given to straight white men. So you're telling me there was absolutely no way for Franklin to decide on his own he didn't want to be part of Krakoa without removing his X-gene? lmao like I said, it gave conversion therapy.