Default Mutations Causing Disabilities & Allegories

I work in disabilities services and serve on two state advocacy lobbyist boards, so I read X-Men comics with a certain lens...

X-Men have always represented civil rights, duties, and services, but I've always felt the popular representation was about civil rights surrounding race, ethnicity, and culture. Which is awesome, I'm so happy for that.

But less talked about is mutation as an allegory for literal disabilities. Often times, when comic disabilities create dialogue in the fandom, it devolves into eyerolls and accusations of pandering - and I think this can happen at times. However, there are some very obvious disabilities that have been around since the beginning, and I think we'd be remiss not to acknowledge amazing mutants with disabilities. I'm not sure what my talking point here is other than acknowledging the connecting between the civil rights message and the inclusion of disabilities, or disability adjacency. I'm particularly interested in learning more about mutants whose mutations play a role in their disabilities. Also, allegories that might be derived in the same vain, as respectfully as possible.

Also, I'm not going to focus on PTSD, because I think all mutants have PTSD, or at least cPTSD, and that is a topic completely on its own.

Xavier: paraplegic
    Cyclops: vision impaired, color blind; caused by mutation
    Storm: claustrophobia
    Nightcrawler: syndactyly? cleft hand?; caused by mutation
    Destiny: total blindness; possibly related to mutation
    Rogue: cannot safely physically touch; caused by mutation
    Forge: Amputee
    Jubilee: Dyscalculia
    Cable: Techno-organic virus
    Wolfsbane: Cognitive divergence in wolf-form; caused by mutation
    Boom Boom: probable ADHD
    Marrow: Osteoma cutis or cutaneous ossification? If so, caused by mutation
    Maggot: gastrointestinal pain / divergence; caused by mutation
    Chamber: amputee (jaw); caused by mutation
    Husk: personality disorder; caused by mutation
    Aurora: Dissociative Identity Disorder
    Multiple Man: Dissociation / possible DID; caused by or related to mutation
    Hellion: Amputee; caused by mutation
    Blindfold: blind; caused by mutation (fused eyelids); possibly caused by mutation (general blindness)
    Cuckoos: hive mentality / group think; possibly caused by mutation
    No-Girl: disembodiment; possibly only survived by mutation
    Sabretooth: Sociopathy
    Strong Guy: chronic pain; caused by mutation
    Gentle: terminal illness; caused by mutation
    X-23: self-harm
    Legion: Dissociative Identity Disorder; caused by or intrinsically connected to mutation
    Claudette St. Croix: autism

This isn't the full detailed list or anything, but how do you all look at information like this? Who am I missing? Has anyone on these forums found ways to relate to disabilities getting represented in the X-Men?
    Last edited by GoingGreen; 03-15-2024 at 08:21 PM.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Astonishing Member

Despite the whole theme of her powers, Marrow's situation is perhaps not really that comparable to actual real world conditions involving bones or bone growth, mainly because it's negative effect is only concentrated on the skin.

It also does not effect her overall mobility or physical health like such conditions would. Infact her powers give her a lot of physical benefits including super human strength, endurance, health, agility, reaction speed and likely even pain resistance. So even if the super human part is left out, she would have to be considered otherwse healthy despite the comperable problem.

Furthermore the inspiration for her powers were apparently young people with various types of piercings, further drawing comparisons to situation in which the skin is altered or undergoes appearance altering effects.

So maybe the more fitting comparison would be to disfiguring and painfull skin conditions, like scarring, cornification and wild growths.
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-15-2024 at 09:44 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Wiz Kid. Laura/Goblyn. Empath. Jamie Braddock. Diamond Lil. Eugene Judd.

My rather simplistic perspective...

Apart from the very obvious physical and mental disabilities like those of Charles, Jeanne-Marie, Laura, Claudette and Taki where the topic is specifically brought up in story, I can't definitively say if they're actual allegories as intended by the writers but rather interpreted and included as part of the greater "Otherness" and all that that entails. Yes, in the broader perspective we all have our personal battles/trials/challenges to face, fight and overcome but more specifically on an individualistic level, there will always be a reader who can relate to one or more of the listed; where it's no longer allegorical but actual and more real.

And...From a purely literary craft/technique perspective...I think it's more the writers being mindful that there are so many different facets that make each and every one us truly one of a kind, distinct, interesting and human...and showing those facets to make their characters more engaging.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Wiz Kid. Laura/Goblyn. Empath. Jamie Braddock. Diamond Lil. Eugene Judd.

My rather simplistic perspective...

Apart from the very obvious physical and mental disabilities like those of Charles, Jeanne-Marie, Laura, Claudette and Taki where the topic is specifically brought up in story, I can't definitively say if they're actual allegories as intended by the writers but rather interpreted and included as part of the greater "Otherness" and all that that entails. Yes, in the broader perspective we all have our personal battles/trials/challenges to face, fight and overcome but more specifically on an individualistic level, there will always be a reader who can relate to one or more of the listed; where it's no longer allegorical but actual and more real.

And...From a purely literary craft/technique perspective...I think it's more the writers being mindful that there are so many different facets that make each and every one us truly one of a kind, distinct, interesting and human...and showing those facets to make their characters more engaging.
    To keep adding to the list. Skin, Cutis laxa caused by mutation. Typhiod Mary, DID. Ernst, Progeria, possibly caused By her mutation. I think "Special Class" had autism if I remember right.

I thought this said “disabilities and allergies”.

Mystique has a personnality disorder cause by her mutation changing her brain. Also Xavier probably causes severe psychological trauma every time he plays with minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    LMAO!

10char
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

One could say that Rogue has dissociative identity disorder as she absorbs the psyche of others and they are literally in her head and can take control of her body.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    To keep adding to the list. Skin, Cutis laxa caused by mutation. Typhiod Mary, DID. Ernst, Progeria, possibly caused By her mutation. I think "Special Class" had autism if I remember right.
    Yeah, the mutant Dummy had autism IIRC.

And ftr, Hellion's mutation didn't make him am amputee. A robot did.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Question: Should I update the list with the additions?

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Despite the whole theme of her powers, Marrow's situation is perhaps not really that comparable to actual real world conditions involving bones or bone growth, mainly because it's negative effect is only concentrated on the skin.

It also does not effect her overall mobility or physical health like such conditions would. Infact her powers give her a lot of physical benefits including super human strength, endurance, health, agility, reaction speed and likely even pain resistance. So even if the super human part is left out, she would have to be considered otherwse healthy despite the comperable problem.

Furthermore the inspiration for her powers were apparently young people with various types of piercings, further drawing comparisons to situation in which the skin is altered or undergoes appearance altering effects.

So maybe the more fitting comparison would be to disfiguring and painfull skin conditions, like scarring, cornification and wild growths.
    Great point. I was wrestling with her situation because it's kiiindof a known condition, albeit wildly different - but you're right, her bone creation is not disabling by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Hah! Is it too late to change it?! We can make this thread a Zyrtec Appreciation 2024 thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilargi View Post
    One could say that Rogue has dissociative identity disorder as she absorbs the psyche of others and they are literally in her head and can take control of her body.
    Oohh, great point. And this isn't subtle either, a huge part of her story arc and struggle with her abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Yeah, the mutant Dummy had autism IIRC.

And ftr, Hellion's mutation didn't make him am amputee. A robot did.
    Hm. I believe you more than my memory, but why do I remember him pushing his powers beyond his limits and losing his hands as a result?
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    Hm. I believe you more than my memory, but why do I remember him pushing his powers beyond his limits and losing his hands as a result?
    See, I was confused, too. Because it looked like they were breaking apart while he was using his powers. But there was a Nimrod sentinel's energy mixed in with his during the panels where they're seen blowing up, so it makes me think that the Nimrod was behind it.

At any rate, Hellion showed a dislike of robots, and it's his view that machines are responsible for his loss.

X-Men Legacy #243.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Well... there's a difference between disabilities due to injury and due to bad mutations.

Mutations with downsides have been a thing since the OG X-Men. Cyke and his eye beams. Nekra's powers make her prone to a sort of mental instability due to how her powers are tied to her emotional state. You also have a bunch of characters with physical changes that are mostly cosmetic... like Nightcrawler, but also Chamber.... who..... yeah that makes no sense by RW logic rules.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    Great point. I was wrestling with her situation because it's kiiindof a known condition, albeit wildly different - but you're right, her bone creation is not disabling by itself.
    To make matters more complicated her powers can actualy be compared to natural phenomena found on certain animals.

First are the antlers of various species of deer.

Unlike the horns found on say cows, goats, sheep or antelopes, which are made of keratin (same substance as finger nails and claws) and usualy permanent, the antlers of deer are made of bone and are shed and regrown annualy.
    Jokingly put, each year a stag will put an exposed rip cage on their head to impress the ladies and then throw it off when it's no longer fashionable.

So the ability to (comparably) rapidly grow sharp and flat bones outside the body, which then detach after a while, is actualy a natural ability that has developed on at least one species of mammals.

Second there is the so called Hairy Frog (also known as "Wolverine Frog" fitting enough). This amphibia can intentionaly break the bones in their toes and push the pieces out through the skin in order to create makeshift claws.

Overall, while her creator likely had no clue of these two parts, it still means that her powers can be considered a super natural version of such natural phenomena, rather than a disability.

A bugged version tough. Which means it's still a disfigurement, since it's unnatural to the appearance of humans and the the chaotic nature of the growth patterns have been mentaly exausting for her.
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-17-2024 at 05:06 PM.