Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Oooh...good one ^

It was an exciting way to reintroduce her, sure, but we've been stuck with it for far too long. Vanessa isn't a baddie.

...but the Max death is another huge one, and so is the Daddy Zeus rewrite.

Threeway tie?

I would erase the arc in Greg Rucka's run where the floating islands got destroyed.

Paradise Island was finally becoming a world full of potential, and then Greg Rucka drove them back to the status quo that Perez established.

I know everybody here likes his run, and I do like him as a writer, but that decision was a massive mistake in my opinion, and totally changed the direction the amazons were going in. Wasted potential.

(Of course I would also erase the Azzarello story in which Diana became the daughter of Zeus, but that's obvious)

[Redacted]

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I would erase the arc in Greg Rucka's run where the floating islands got destroyed.

Paradise Island was finally becoming a world full of potential, and then Greg Rucka drove them back to the status quo that Perez established.

No he didn't. The Amazons didn't go back to being isolated and angry at man's world with outdated tools and technology.

I for one agree, that was a pretty dumb writing decision and its one of the reasons why I don't really like Ruckas first run very much.

That said, the Azzarello thing is just so much more damaging so it holds my choice despite that.

Given the original intention of the run was to end with the Amazons to beat the U.S. in a war that lasts like 10 minutes, no I would say Agent Z is correct. Rucka was not resetting the Amazons back to Perez in terms of being in the Bronze Age.

US vs. Themysciran tensions was an ongoing storyline in his first run that he wanted to explore. You don't have to like it but you don't have to lie about it.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Given that Azzarello's run was described as a 3 year long story, I think it's fair game for elimination.

If not, I'd go with the one where Diana breaks Max Lord's neck.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Given that Azzarello's run was described as a 3 year long story, I think it's fair game for elimination.

If not, I'd go with the one where Diana breaks Max Lord's neck.
    Only caveat is you just can't say "get rid of an entire run" (Kanigher, Azzarello, etc)
    Yeah, I knew I was right to include this caveat.

Lord's death, then I guess Rucka's second run.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

I know everybody here likes his run, and I do like him as a writer, but that decision was a massive mistake in my opinion, and totally changed the direction the amazons were going in. Wasted potential.
    Jimenez's floating Themyscira was beautiful, but it must be remembered that at the time some Wonder Woman fans found it too fanciful or childish, and they dubbed it "My Little Pony Island". When Hera kicked it into the sea the Amazons all lived, but what was lost were all the visitors from Man's World and space that had set up shop there. Jimenez's idea to turn Themyscira into a hub of knowledge for the universe was wonderful and progressive, but it went too far. Rucka needlessly got rid of the whimsey, but he also jettisoned the outsiders that destroyed the concept of an island solely of women. By the time Rucka left the book the Amazons were more advanced than they'd ever been Post-Crisis. They had mass amounts of futuristic technology including laser cannons and the Purple Death Ray.

It was Azzarello that took them back to the Bronze Age.

I guess I'd retcon Perez renaming Cheetah to Barbara Minerva and just use Priscilla Rich for consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Jimenez's floating Themyscira was beautiful, but it must be remembered that at the time some Wonder Woman fans found it too fanciful or childish, and they dubbed it "My Little Pony Island". When Hera kicked it into the sea the Amazons all lived, but what was lost were all the visitors from Man's World and space that had set up shop there. Jimenez's idea to turn Themyscira into a hub of knowledge for the universe was wonderful and progressive, but it went too far. Rucka needlessly got rid of the whimsey, but he also jettisoned the outsiders that destroyed the concept of an island solely of women. By the time Rucka left the book the Amazons were more advanced than they'd ever been Post-Crisis. They had mass amounts of futuristic technology including laser cannons and the Purple Death Ray.

It was Azzarello that took them back to the Bronze Age.
    The visitors were just that: visitors. They weren't permanent residents and Themyscira had already ended its millennia long isolation during the Perez run.

Amazon's Attack

I feel like that story paved the way for poor takes of the Amazon's for the years that followed (specifically the year 2011-2016).

And I'm not opposed to an evil Hippolyta arc, but having so many of the Amazon's willingly follow her when she was clearly corrupted by Circe's magic was ew.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Yeah, naw. Good for the people who thought this specific level of advancement was the exact level. It was dumb and pathetic in my mind. Went from being looked on with awe by the galaxy as an incredible people to
    'oh noes~ These people who live in rock houses and fight with bows and swords are a threat to the world~ Sensationalism~'
    Hera wipes em all out with a wave of her hand and causes the murder of one of Dianas allies and she gets a slap on the wrist and Zeus gets blamed for her outburst. With both of them both being so flanderizingly predictable that Ares was able to cause the entire affair by basically changing the channel on the god television to something Hera wouldnt approve of.
    And then it just gets treated as having never happened with the new status quo being the norm just a couple issues later.

Ruckas run being hit by an editorially mandated status quo shift that instantly undoes everything he was building up was a hilariously poetic end result for his own intentions.
    Opens his run with a catastarophic event destroying everything the Amazons had built.
    Ends his run with a catastrophic event destroying everything the Amazons had built.

That said id still say it was a pretty harmless run since the Maxwell Lord crap aside, it was pretty self contained and pretty much nothing from that run survived to come after.
    Amazons Attack would overshadow any 'Amazons are the enemy and must be destroyed!' rhetoric he was trying to build up with the general public
    His status quo shift with the gods would be undone in the same instance, with Granny Goodness single handedly defeating the entire pantheon and shipping em off to Apokolips, then Simone would bring them back with Zeus in charge.
    Everything he was doing with Veronica Cale and Circe would stop being a thing entirely for the rest of post crisis.

So...Ruckas run was just as effortlessly swept under the rug as Rucka did with Jiminez's own elements.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Lord's death, then I guess Rucka's second run.
    Filler filler
    Only caveat is you just can't say "get rid of an entire run" (Kanigher, Azzarello, etc)
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-25-2024 at 02:30 PM.