Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultraverse

Default Ultraverse

Since Marvel technically owns these characters, I'm posting this here as well. I've been on a 90's kick lately picking up titles not from DC or Marvel. I've recently purchased a lot of Stormwatch, Wildcats and Supreme books. Was interested in picking up Ultraverse books. How were Sludge, Rune, Night Man, Mantra, Prime, etc.? All feedback would be greatly appreciated. As always, thank you in advance. 👍🏻

Prime was the only book I really enjoyed, and I’d recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by REVOLUTION View Post
    Since Marvel technically owns these characters, I'm posting this here as well. I've been on a 90's kick lately picking up titles not from DC or Marvel. I've recently purchased a lot of Stormwatch, Wildcats and Supreme books. Was interested in picking up Ultraverse books. How were Sludge, Rune, Night Man, Mantra, Prime, etc.? All feedback would be greatly appreciated. As always, thank you in advance. ����
    This has been extensively disscuseed in the Ultraverse appreciation threads. Indeed marvel have the rights to the characters but they don't use the character in any form, except in drops very under the radar of lawyers, I think.
    Several links about analysis of those books can be found inthat thread.
    The reasons for this attittude? Your guess is as good as mine.

A consensus about the books is they were far better before Marvel bought Malibu.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by REVOLUTION View Post
    Since Marvel technically owns these characters, I'm posting this here as well. I've been on a 90's kick lately picking up titles not from DC or Marvel. I've recently purchased a lot of Stormwatch, Wildcats and Supreme books. Was interested in picking up Ultraverse books. How were Sludge, Rune, Night Man, Mantra, Prime, etc.? All feedback would be greatly appreciated. As always, thank you in advance. ����
    Get the books BEFORE Marvel bought them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    A consensus about the books is they were far better before Marvel bought Malibu.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    ^^^I was going to go off on this in my post, but didn’t want to start ranting.

Now I can just say, ‘agreed’!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Except Ultraforce/Avengers. That one is great. It is written by Warren Ellis with art by George Perez. It is a great book and will probably stand as the only Avengers book by Perez that sadly never will be reprinted anywhere else. Just make sure you don't confuse it with Avengers/Ultraforce which is just hot leaky garbage done by nameless middle of the road talent lurking the halls of Marvel at the time. Since Perez did the covers to both books, it is important to note the difference in titles.

Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    Except Ultraforce/Avengers. That one is great. It is written by Warren Ellis with art by George Perez. It is a great book and will probably stand as the only Avengers book by Perez that sadly never will be reprinted anywhere else. Just make sure you don't confuse it with Avengers/Ultraforce which is just hot leaky garbage done by nameless middle of the road talent lurking the halls of Marvel at the time. Since Perez did the covers to both books, it is important to note the difference in titles.
    ^^^I have to take a second look at these, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Prime was the only book I really enjoyed, and I’d recommend it.
    Couldn't agree more, especially when Norm Breyfogle was a part of the team...

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

Norm Breyfogle's artwork was amazing. Sadly, he was no longer around on Earth. The original creators unfortunately won't be coming back to the book. With Norm Breyfogle gone and Gerard Jones' reputation ruined, what new creator will pick up and revive the comic book Prime?

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Norm Breyfogle's artwork was amazing. Sadly, he was no longer around on Earth. The original creators unfortunately won't be coming back to the book. With Norm Breyfogle gone and Gerard Jones' reputation ruined, what new creator will pick up and revive the comic book Prime?
    ^^^Humberto Ramos on art…

…his work on books like Impulse and Crimson shows he can draw kids, adults, go from goofy to serious, and handle the visuals on Prime’s Goopy powerset which often strayed into body horror. He drew these covers, and I’d love to see him on interiors.

Karl Kesel as writer.
    His take on Superboy in the nineties has never been equaled, and I’d enjoy seeing him tackle another young character coming of age and figuring out how he fits into the hero business.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 03-21-2024 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

Breyfogle was amazing. Really stylish artwork.

…his work on books like Impulse and Crimson shows he can draw kids, adults, go from goofy to serious, and handle the visuals on Prime’s Goopy powerset which often strayed into body horror. He drew these covers, and I’d love to see him on interiors.

Karl Kesel as writer.
    His take on Superboy in the nineties has never been equaled, and I’d enjoy seeing him tackle another young character coming of age and figuring out how he fits into the hero business.
    good choices.

Peace

Astonishing Member

I didn't like Rune but everything else was a great read. If you're into '90s comics, I'd also recommend Valiant, Defiant and Broadway comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Breyfogle was amazing. Really stylish artwork.

good choices.

Peace
    ^^^Well thank you, Sir!
    I know Kesel isn’t a hot commodity any more, but man he’s great.

Karl Kesel as writer.
    I agree on Humberto Ramos, but not on Karl Kesel. I think that Jerry Ordway might be more suitable for this writing chores. He did a good job on Power of Shazam title.

Incredible Member

should get the ultraforce/avengers crossover if anything else. the spread page by perez featuring a host of non-marvel characters from other companies is awesome.