Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Okay, solid question.

It's one thing to handle the Ring for a few seconds, and another to cart it around. Recall that Gandalf HAS handled the Ring - he took it from Frodo and tossed it in the fire. Didn't turn him all 'my precious' at that point. He wasn't afraid of 'holding' it.

He was afraid of TAKING it.

When both Galadriel and Gandalf refuse the Ring, the situation is different; Frodo wouldn't be handing it off to them for a moment or two. He was considering handing it right off to them for keepsies. "Gandalf, this is beyond me, you take the Ring." "Galadriel, you are an ancient, wise being of power - I'll give you the Ring if you ask for it."

Then it would be in their possession. It would be theirs. And they would...do what? They can't just sit on it, it needs to be destroyed - that's the point of the quest. But if they hold it, carry it for a long time, it's going to work on them. And the more powerful they are, the more the Ring can do for them.

Now, Gandalf I would say would hold out longer than Galadriel, because Gandalf has less stuff for the Ring to work on (Galadriel, despite her depiction in Amazon's crap show, has a huge character flaw that she flat-out states would be her downfall with the Ring: overweening pride). But Gandalf is - wisely - very sure he wouldn't be able to cart it to Mt. Doom and toss it in; he wouldn't last.

No disagreement from me on this. Again, as Pendaran might say, the Ring would have a field day with Magneto, his personality is pretty much tailor-made for Corruption By Ring™.

But him just 'grab from Ringbearer-flick into Mt. Doom' (or perhaps 'grab Ringbearer and flick into Mt Doom) after stomping all over Sauron's forces, if he kept himself separate from it beforehand (like, completely - I'm talking 'Meets the Ringbearer for the first time at Mt Doom' kind of thing, so near-zero exposure)? No real worries at all, I feel.
    That's a helpful explanation, thank you. Also, relevant to a conversation I'm having about taking possession of osmething regarding a Pathfinder spell: https://2e.aonprd.com/Spells.aspx?ID=866

Would you mind if I quoted you or linked to your post on another forum?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    That's a helpful explanation, thank you. Also, relevant to a conversation I'm having about taking possession of osmething regarding a Pathfinder spell: https://2e.aonprd.com/Spells.aspx?ID=866

Would you mind if I quoted you or linked to your post on another forum?
    Totally cool with that. A nice surprise! Never been cross-forum quoted before (well, maybe, but probably not in a complimentary fashion...).

Pathfinder, also nice.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 03-21-2024 at 06:54 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

In both the book and the movie, Gandalf takes the One Ring from Bilbo and later gives it to Frodo. Replacing him with Magneto means that Magneto is now the one talking to Bilbo just before Bilbo leaves the Shire. For purposes of this scenario, Magneto knows the importance of the One Ring and also knows that Bilbo has it.

I doubt that Magneto would allow Bilbo to leave with the ring. One way or another, Magneto will be taking the ring, and then his willpower will be tested. He probably will not be going anywhere near Mt. Doom.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    In both the book and the movie, Gandalf takes the One Ring from Bilbo and later gives it to Frodo. Replacing him with Magneto means that Magneto is now the one talking to Bilbo just before Bilbo leaves the Shire. For purposes of this scenario, Magneto knows the importance of the One Ring and also knows that Bilbo has it.

I doubt that Magneto would allow Bilbo to leave with the ring. One way or another, Magneto will be taking the ring, and then his willpower will be tested. He probably will not be going anywhere near Mt. Doom.
    to be fair, gandalf didn't know that it was the one ring before allowing frodo to inherit. all he knew was that the ring was magical and it didn't really show its hold over bilbo until he tried to leave it to frodo. then he left frodo with it for about 50 years to research if it was the one ring and then returned to finally confirm his suspicions. so depending on how much mags knows about it, he might or might not fall to the ring after bilbo leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    to be fair, gandalf didn't know that it was the one ring before allowing frodo to inherit. all he knew was that the ring was magical and it didn't really show its hold over bilbo until he tried to leave it to frodo. then he left frodo with it for about 50 years to research if it was the one ring and then returned to finally confirm his suspicions. so depending on how much mags knows about it, he might or might not fall to the ring after bilbo leaves.
    I guess it has been a long time since I read the books or watched the movies. Okay, Magneto is only very suspicious of the ring when he is meeting with Bilbo. I still don't think that Bilbo is leaving with the ring, which means that Magneto is alone with it until Frodo shows up. Magneto doesn't seem like the type who is going to delegate an important matter to some little guy who doesn't have any powers.

Keep in mind that Magneto isn’t Gandalf, and would know nothing about the Ring other than ‘small fellow has magic ring he wants to give to his kid.’

Wasn’t exactly common knowledge at the start.

Which means Bilbo runs off with the Ring.

…..

Which is a Very Bad Thing.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 03-21-2024 at 12:33 PM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Also, if we go that route, Magneto dies from old age before the actual quest starts.

Edit, well, maybe not THAT bad, but he’s sure older and a whole lot weaker.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 03-21-2024 at 12:32 PM.
    Why are we here?

Astonishing Member

Also, if we go that route, Magneto dies from old age before the actual quest starts.

You know it's always been a thing in comics how Magneto's age would have to be in the nineties yet he looks like a strong man in his 40s, because being a Holocaust survivor is an important part of his identity that will probably never be taken from him, unlike comics where Punisher is not a Vietnam veteran but fought in Iraq.

from what i've read a few times, mags altered his own genetics so he ages slower and stays young and fit. so he could possibly live that long and still remain strong. hell, in certain continuities, mags directly feeds on the planet's magnetic field and uses it to keep himself so fit.

Valid points.

*Limit Dance*
    Why are we here?

question: is the ring even magnetic to begin with? i dont know exactly what its made it so i can't say if mags can even affect it with his powers.

question: is the ring even magnetic to begin with? i dont know exactly what its made it so i can't say if mags can even affect it with his powers.
    *shrugs* If it's not, that's all the more reason to just put a bubble around Frodo and toss him into the lava.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Is Paper? Magneto has lifted all kinds of wacky stuff with magnet power before.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Magneto has lifted gold, vibranium, adamantium, concrete, wood, water - all kinds of nonsense, really - with his powers. He just has to yell "MAGNETS" really loudly.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    You know it's always been a thing in comics how Magneto's age would have to be in the nineties yet he looks like a strong man in his 40s, because being a Holocaust survivor is an important part of his identity that will probably never be taken from him, unlike comics where Punisher is not a Vietnam veteran but fought in Iraq.
    Something is lost if Magneto is not a Holocaust survivor or the Punisher a Vietnam veteran. Iraq just generally doesn't have the same bite or historical significance.

Anyway, if Magneto has a long term exposure to the Ring, he gives in to it. If he just stays away from it or maybe involves himself at the last moment, he has a great chance. Granted, Boromir gave in fairly quickly. Ah, the One Ring. As insidious in debates as it was in the story. Hopefully, nobody uses the word "precious". Oh, wait. I just did.
    Power with Girl is better.