Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Should Shocker get more character development or a more fleshed-out backstory?

Should Shocker get more character development or a more fleshed-out backstory?

People say Shocker is the most sane and professional of Spidey's Rogues Gallery, but no one has defined what that means.

Does he has an actual code of honor or is he just a scumbag who would do any evil thing for money? If he had a chance for a big payday, but it results in several dead civilians, including children, would he take it?

Also if he has the ability to invent technology like his Shocker gear, why is he a criminal in the first place? Why couldn't he use his intelligence to earn money legitimately? Maybe the writers should delve more into the character to explain some of this.

I don't know why, but I've always really liked Shocker. I'm all for more stories with him.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Should Shocker get more character development or a more fleshed-out backstory?

People say Shocker is the most sane and professional of Spidey's Rogues Gallery, but no one has defined what that means.

Does he has an actual code of honor or is he just a scumbag who would do any evil thing for money? If he had a chance for a big payday, but it results in several dead civilians, including children, would he take it?

Also if he has the ability to invent technology like his Shocker gear, why is he a criminal in the first place? Why couldn't he use his intelligence to earn money legitimately? Maybe the writers should delve more into the character to explain some of this.
    I would fine if they explored more of the Shocker including his past as long as they don't drag out the old "tragic troubled childhood" trope. Sometimes people are criminals because they want to be. Not every bad guy needs a Freudian excuse.

Have we ever gotten any kind of background/origin for Shocker?

I'm just reminded of Ultimate Shocker going on that whole spiel when he had Peter captured.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Also if he has the ability to invent technology like his Shocker gear, why is he a criminal in the first place? Why couldn't he use his intelligence to earn money legitimately?
    I think this is just one of those genre tropes that one has to run with. In the real world, the US government would compare the price of a tank and the price of a supervillain, and unless the supervillain is so psychotic as to be uncontrollable pay out accordingly.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member

Yes. He invented his gauntlets. That doesn't get talked about enough.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Absolutely.

I love the guy.

I would chase him to the ends of the Earth.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Shocker needs a good showcase/spotlight story.
    "Cable was right!"

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

I personally think they just need to stop treating him like a gag character.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    I personally think they just need to stop treating him like a gag character.
    People forget he's actually beaten Spidey a few times.

The last time he got respect was the ending of Superior Foes (I guess he gave Ms. Marvel trouble too).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    I would fine if they explored more of the Shocker including his past as long as they don't drag out the old "tragic troubled childhood" trope. Sometimes people are criminals because they want to be. Not every bad guy needs a Freudian excuse.
    And even then, "Freudian Excuse Is No Excuse," as TV Tropes would put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Have we ever gotten any kind of background/origin for Shocker?

I'm just reminded of Ultimate Shocker going on that whole spiel when he had Peter captured.
    616 had him as a career criminal who invented the vibroshock gauntlets to make safecracking easier. Ultimate had him as formerly a legitimately employed inventor who got screwed over by his corporate bosses and turned to crime out of desperation, then went unhinged after being constantly mocked by Peter. After hearing from Shocker himself why he ended up the way he did, Peter found himself actually apologizing to or at least sympathizing with him. Went well enough with the overarching theme of Ultimate Spider-Man being all the terrible things that can and do happen to people and the world at large when great power is abused with great irresponsibility and ambition and greed overwhelming any sense of morality or humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    I think this is just one of those genre tropes that one has to run with. In the real world, the US government would compare the price of a tank and the price of a supervillain, and unless the supervillain is so psychotic as to be uncontrollable pay out accordingly.
    Pretty much, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Absolutely.

I love the guy.

I would chase him to the ends of the Earth.
    I see what you did there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    People forget he's actually beaten Spidey a few times.
    About once a decade he gets a really good showing to reset him, then the next writer just goes back to using him as a loser. It's a shame, but maybe that lower tier status has helped his longevity.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    I don't know why, but I've always really liked Shocker. I'm all for more stories with him.
    Me too. Some of it is probably nostalgia, since he was one of the earliest Spider-Man villains I read about, but I always loved the costume and that he's basically just some thug.

I think both Shocker and Electro could use more fleshing out. Of all the major Spidey villains, these two are seemingly villains because... reasons.

-Pav, who wonders what fans would consider the best story featuring each of these guys...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I think both Shocker and Electro could use more fleshing out. Of all the major Spidey villains, these two are seemingly villains because... reasons.

-Pav, who wonders what fans would consider the best story featuring each of these guys...
    At least with Dillon I think the powers went to his head.