Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Incredible Member

I'm just flipping through Rock of Ages now...and it is very overcrowded. The Injustice Gang, plus alternate realities, plus Darkseid, plus doppelgangers, plus Aztek (for some reason), plus Wonder Woman and Green Arrow are dead and Superman is Blue...

...PLUS New Gods, plus the Whirlagog (!?)...

It's just not an easy thing to jump into. I know the animated series had to appeal to kids and therefore streamlined things....but shouldn't comics be able to tell straightforward stories too?

Seriously why is this one so "great"? Or was it just great for the time?

To me it being overcrowded was the point. Any of those threats could have been the villains of JL story arc, but almost every issue we got another and another layer added on top.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I'm just flipping through Rock of Ages now...and it is very overcrowded. The Injustice Gang, plus alternate realities, plus Darkseid, plus doppelgangers, plus Aztek (for some reason), plus Wonder Woman and Green Arrow are dead and Superman is Blue...

...PLUS New Gods, plus the Whirlagog (!?)...

It's just not an easy thing to jump into. I know the animated series had to appeal to kids and therefore streamlined things....but shouldn't comics be able to tell straightforward stories too?

Seriously why is this one so "great"? Or was it just great for the time?
    Yeah, Rock of Ages really didn't cause as much an impact on me as it seemed to happen with other fans at the time. I mean, there is A LOT going on there, however, for me, it seemed like nothing was quite as well explored as it should have been. I mean, we had the Injustice Gang, and the hint of a battle of wits between business tycoons Lex Luthor and Bruce 'Batman" Wayne, which I thought was an amazing idea, and was really excited to see super-heroics reduced to something like a "hostile takeover". Yet, in the following issue, we're thrown into a catastrophic future, and that is just talked about (especially in comics, I find that "show, don't tell" is always the best course of action). And the battle of wits ended up being quite anti-climatic at the end of the arc. Sure, the story had great art, and some fantastic moments, such as the reveal that Batman had actually defeated Dessad and taken his place, and the Atom lobotomizing Darksied (I also loved that Atom costume. I wish we'd seen more of it), however, it's far from my favorite during Morrison's run, let alone a favorite Justice League storyline.
    And BTW, I've recently finished rereading John's Darksied War (I don't think I'd ever read it in one sitting). What do people think of it? What is the general take on John's New 52 Justice League run?

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 04-27-2024 at 07:15 AM.

To me it was very uneven. Enjoyed a lot Throne of Atlantis and Forever Evil/Forever Heroes. Arc following Forever Evil, forgot its name, was also okay. Rest? Had some good moments here and there, but overall I didn't like it.

I enjoyed Shazam backups as well, but I'm not sure if they count since, I think, they are always collected separately.