Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    JLA Year ONE - Mark Waid and Barry Kitson
    JLA: New World Order - Grant Morrison and Howard Porter
    Justice League of America #200 - Gerry Conway, George Perez and many others...
    JLI: Breakdowns - Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatties, Kevin MacGuire and many others...
    Justice League America: Destiny's Hand - Dan Jurgens and Brett Breeding
    Justice League: Judgement Day - Dan Vado, Marc Campos, Mark Waid, Sal Veluto, and others...
    JLA: Syndicate Rules - Kurt Busiek and Ron Garney
    Justice League - A New Beggining - Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatties and Kevin MacGuire
    JLA and JSA: Vice and Virtue - Geoff Johns and Carlos Pacheco
    JLA Earth 2 - Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly
    Bonus: The New Frontier -Darwin Cooke (yeah, it's basically a Justice League story)

Peace
    Damn! How could I have forgotten Justice League: The Nail and Another Nail? It is one of the best! I'll probably remember others along the way, such as JLA: The Hypothetical Woman, simply because it's the only Justice League saga fully drawn by my favorite artist, José Luis Garcia-Lopez!

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Justice League of America - No Man Escapes The Manhunters - JLA 139-146, 149-150. Steve Englehart & Dick Dillin
    That IS a good one.

Peace

Fantastic Member

Anybody have any love for JLA: Incarnations. A seven issue series which each part covered a different era of the League. It had a post-COIE revision to it, but stayed fairly faithful to the JLA's history.

Also my favorite JLA story is Justice League 143. It's one where Wonder Woman is slugging Superman on the cover. I love that story the most because it had a one page scene where Bruce and Clark are talking as friends, about how quick the League was breaking apart, and they were "the first." Loved that line, when so many writers wrote those two out of the founding of the league. There was something about the Satellite era that had a wondrous simplicity and characterization to it. Some others already mentioned JLA 200, 139-146, and 149-150. That was a golden era and I loved Dick Dillin's clean and bright art.

--Jthree

Fantastic Member

I really like the Silver Age one-and-done stories. Favorites include "Starro the Conqueror", "Challenge of the Weapons Master", "The Wheel of Misfortune", "Riddle of the Robot Justice League", "The Cavern of Deadly Spheres!", "Triumph of the Tornado Tyrant," "The Last Case of the Justice League", and "The Menace of the "Atom" Bomb!"

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Justice League of America - No Man Escapes The Manhunters - JLA 139-146, 149-150. Steve Englehart & Dick Dillin
    That run is a favorite of mine, but it's not a story, is it?

139 is a story about ice-related villains
    140-141 is the "No Man/World Escapes the Manhunters" story
    142-143 is the first Construct story
    144 is the secret origin of the JLA.
    145 is the Count Crystal story
    146 is the second Construct story
    149-150 is the Star-Tsar story involving Snapper and the Key

Even if you call the thread involving Mark Shaw a single story, it doesn't include 139 (which was written after 140-141, as I recall) or 144. And it really isn't, it's just Englehart doing organic Marvel-esque plotting.

That said, a nice hardcover set of this whole run would be a treat.

kdb
    Last edited by Kurt Busiek; 03-19-2024 at 09:45 PM.
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Extraordinary Member

Kurt, I'm the one who gave it the name. This isn't the official name for Englehart's short run. I admit that the new origin story in #144 is kind of out of nowhere. But Wonder Woman's change of personality begins in #139 Ice Age story.

I believe there is a common thread from beginning to end to call it a storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    Anybody have any love for JLA: Incarnations. A seven issue series which each part covered a different era of the League. It had a post-COIE revision to it, but stayed fairly faithful to the JLA's history.
    I do. I thought it was the perfect follow up to JLA Year One, which is in my list. Especially 1-4 fill in so many blanks of the post - COIE/ZH continuity. Really LOVE it, and find that it doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    That said, a nice hardcover set of this whole run would be a treat.

kdb
    It sure would. I'd buy it without thinking twice.

Peace

My favorite Justice League writers are Morrison, Englehart and Wain so most of their stories would make this list. But if New Frontier counts then it is my #1 Justice League, and probably DC in general, story.

Incredible Member

'the extremist vector' jle 15-19. The introduction of the extremist. Dissapointing twist in the ending but great story nevertheless.

'Destiny's hand' jla 72-75. a darker version of the justice league with no mercy without superman. This story happened just after the death of superman.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    My favorite Justice League writers are Morrison, Englehart and Wain so most of their stories would make this list. But if New Frontier counts then it is my #1 Justice League, and probably DC in general, story.
    New Frontier definitely counts.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

So many great Justice League stories here. Isn't it notable, though, that unless I'm missing something, there's nothing here newer than the Tornado's Path from 2006? I'm not surprised DC cancelled the series a few years ago - that's nearly 20 years of JLA going from being DC's flagship to, at very best, an afterthought. There was a small spike in interest during Johns' initial arcs during the New 52, but like so much of the New 52, the momentum faded pretty quickly. And it's not like they haven't put some A-list names on there - Bendis, Hitch, Lee, Snyder, Priest, Tynion, etc. But no one seemed to care about any of these runs. I did actually really enjoy the Last Ride by Chip Zdarsky, but it's not like that got much attention, either. It's really weird.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member

First story is ever read was the 3-part JLA 100-102 featuring the annual JLA/JSA team-up with the addition of the Seven Soldiers of Victory.

Admittedly, I wasn't able to find 102 at the store and didn't read the conclusion until about 20 years later.

I always thought Morrison's Crisis X5 arc was underrated, at least compared to some of the other arcs from his run

I liked Tenth Circle. That was vampires done RIGHT in DC.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm not familiar with Wain. Were you possibly referring to Len Wein or Mark Waid?