Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    And as I said, it's perfectly cool to personally not dig Bond any more...but your post went beyond expressing that.

You specifically said, "we've sort of limped" and "we've seen it all before" and "far too heavily dependent on the audience either being in the Cold War, or at least having some personal memory of it." Those are your own personal feelings that you are attempting to attribute to the general audience which goes beyond a simple personal preference and to top it off it was objectively and very obviously untrue.

Again, that you personally don't care for something isn't an issue, but pretending that said preference is shared by the audience as a whole is an issue. And why do it? There's nothing wrong with disliking something that is popular or vice versa; I'm not a fan of the Walking Dead but I'm not going to try and say that my opinion is shared by more than just myself and likewise Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is one of my favorite films but you're not going to see me say that it was a huge success. I just own that sometimes my opinions don't line up with the general audience and I have no problem with that.
    No, I'm not attempting to attribute it to a wider audience, that's just how I wrote that. You just ignored all the times I said it was MY opinion.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    No, I'm not attempting to attribute it to a wider audience, that's just how I wrote that. You just ignored all the times I said it was MY opinion.
    Then don't say "we" refer to the audience as a whole when talking about your own personal feelings. It's easy to do at the start of your post as you could have easily written " I feel the films sort of limped to a conclusion with Craig" and "I've seen it all before" and it would have been clear you were only discussing your own feeling and not making false assumptions about the general audience...there's no way to rephrase your bit about the audience having to know the coldwar to get Bond and have it just be your opinion.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Theo James is great in The Gentlemen, he’s perhaps just a little too old now, but he’d have been good as Bond.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Then don't say "we" refer to the audience as a whole when talking about your own personal feelings. It's easy to do at the start of your post as you could have easily written " I feel the films sort of limped to a conclusion with Craig" and "I've seen it all before" and it would have been clear you were only discussing your own feeling and not making false assumptions about the general audience...there's no way to rephrase your bit about the audience having to know the coldwar to get Bond and have it just be your opinion.
    I will write my posts how I see fit, not how you tell me to---you may find it confusing, but I'm hope that most don't. I told you how I meant it, and it was obvious from my post where I stated it two or three times. If you don't like it, don't read it, or don't reply. Edit: Never mind, this back and forth is done.
    Last edited by achilles; 03-20-2024 at 04:13 PM.