Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Hell yes, they become something more akin to a cult than a country and declared the laws on "the human world" invalid to them putting know mass murder and criminals in power possitions. Even those who didn't fear them before had reasons to fear them now.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

They exist. Thats' all the reason needed.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Nope, I don't think Magneto, Apocalypse, Emma Frost, Mystique, Sabretooth and Exodus present the image to the world that they do all that unwittingly. Can't give it to them.

The point of Krakoa was the mutants no longer cared if they were hated and feared, because the humans couldn’t do anything about it anymor. In theory. Obviously FoX said they were wrong about that.

The USA is also hated and feared globally, for what it’s worth. To be a superpower is to be hated and feared.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Hate never needs an excuse, really.

That said, humans have every right to be afraid of mutants. The X-men have been billed as the next stage of evolution. They all have supernatural powers that most humans will never have, and they appear to breed in numbers on par with humans...which means it's only a matter of time before the planet's population dynamics will slant heavily in mutantkind's favor. Barring some kind of cosmic or mutant genocidal intervention, the days are numbered for humans. They know it. That's how Mother Nature works. Homo sapiens wouldn't be the first species to pass on, supplanted/absorbed/replaced by another species, never to be heard from again.

Krakao is merely yet another data point in the inexorable march of evolution. And that which nature disfavors should tremble.

Quoting myself from another topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    To be fair, the average human, other than falling for Orchis' generic racist propaganda, has seen Krakoa hand out miracle medicine that turned out drugged or what-was-that that it took a switch to do harm, while Krakoa quickly became the most rich country in the world.
    We the reader have been shown the vastness of the fortune Xavier amassed and all the holdings he controlled. Although not seen on panel, I think newspapers and newsnetworks in 616-canon must've dug into XAvier's holdings and revealed them to the public. Let's think Bezoz-Musk-Zukkemberg together, and all tightly linked to a government. Between the money and the medicine, the mutants could literally buy the planet.
    Also, these mutants - who, let's remember, all work for their nation - terraform Mars and colonize it.

I mean. Look at the unbalances happening in RL from having one super-power who can dominate the markets by having all companies nation-owned, compared to the other "rich" countries in which private companies aren't required to work for the "betterment" of their country's growth.
    Krakoa was that, and more. And with an army of super-powered beings that would make a rich country's whole arsenal moot.
    And that's ignoring that the three main and public leaders of Krakoa were: 1)a former supremacist terrorist that - on top of countless of acts - once reverted the planet poles; 2) another supremacist terrorist; 3)a guy who could rewrite the minds of all 8 billions of people in a minute.
    As long as the mutants fought each other, the mutants were less of a threat (and they already were a big threat per se), but once they got all together for the same goal, they become a super-power that must be feared.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    The point of Krakoa was the mutants no longer cared if they were hated and feared, because the humans couldn’t do anything about it anymor. In theory. Obviously FoX said they were wrong about that.

The USA is also hated and feared globally, for what it’s worth. To be a superpower is to be hated and feared.
    That's a pretty good allegory lol, "down with America, but keep sending aid!" "Down with Krakoa but keep sending miracle drugs!"
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    Quoting myself from another topic:
    Well not ALL them are Xavier, SEVERAL of the Mutants are stupid rich because they did sneaky stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well not ALL them are Xavier, SEVERAL of the Mutants are stupid rich because they did sneaky stuff.
    Like many billionaires in our world. I wouldn't stick to "how they got the money": the issue is that Krakoa itself was awfully backed (no public debt either) so it was a nation that, just by money and work-power alone could stomp easily on at least a bunch of the G7/8 countries, and could also give a run to USA and China. And it popped out of nowhere, one day you're minding your own (mutantphobic) business, the next there's a mutant nation that can buy out your country through medicine and money. I don't think international relations would be all peace and love, if it happened in our world.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Mutants needing Krakoa should have made MU humans feel shame and pledge to treat Mutants better, but MU humans are portrayed as incapable of either of those things. Since MU humans never have to face any repercussions for their bigotry, I guess that makes sense from a storytelling angle.

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    A group's that has made people nervous since their inception banded together, formed a country overnight and immediately became a superpower.

It's like if your personal political opponents suddenly gathered, had the same economic and military clout of say, China, and also holding the world in a benevolent form of blackmail -- they don't need to threaten because the world already is threatened. And that happened in a matter of days.

Honestly, I'm surprised there wasn't *more* freakout.
    I agree. At least more wary of… What they are going to see is not that Krakoa is a safe haven for gentle, kind mutants but the nation where Magneto, Apocalypse and Xavier band together.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I agree. At least more wary of… What they are going to see is not that Krakoa is a safe haven for gentle, kind mutants but the nation where Magneto, Apocalypse and Xavier band together.
    Exodus and Selene actually fought the Avengers too, so that's even more reason for the general superhero community to question their motives. the Selene one was pretty recent too!

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

The Sinister stuff definitely didn't help

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    This needs to be emphasized.

Marvel did everything before Krakoa to undermine the dream of human-mutant coexistence (which was the dream of Xavier and what the X-Men were fighting for) by constantly emphasizing the bigotry and hatred of everyday humans and constantly churning out stories where the X-Men and mutant kind were on the brink of extinction and which all sort of grotesqueries were done to mutant characters.

The idea of Krakoa didn't happen in a vacccum. It happened because the idea of coexisting with humanity (which the X-Men were about) made no sense in the current publishing environment. As long as Marvel decides they are going to make the X-Men's lives miserable everyweek to earn a few more bucks, something like Krakoa will always be the endgame.

It's just cowardly editors and writers backtracked on Krakoa while doing nothing to change the environment around the X-books, which justified it.
    That part. I’m fine with refocusing on the Dream, but for it to actually land Marvel needs to put some actual effort into having things improve between mutants and the average human. Of course the franchise will always need it’s bigoted villains, but taking some time to show that living as a mutant in the MU isn’t an instant death trap would go a long way towards re-centering on co-existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    That part. I’m fine with refocusing on the Dream, but for it to actually land Marvel needs to put some actual effort into having things improve between mutants and the average human. Of course the franchise will always need it’s bigoted villains, but taking some time to show that living as a mutant in the MU isn’t an instant death trap would go a long way towards re-centering on co-existence.
    also... the vast majority of "normies" in Marvel DON'T care. The guy who is renowned for being the originator of the Sentinel program? He was equally afraid of the Avengers. his goal was to give law enforcement the ability to fight super-criminals so that the world didn't need to rely on the kindness of super-heroes.

It's the same sort of logic as the US Army having a Hulk-buster unit. X is dangerous, therefore prepare weapons to combat X. The whole anti-mutant hatred thing is flanderization. Yes, such people have existed for a long time in comics, but it used to be it wasn't the ONLY thing the X-Men fought.