Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas View Post
    He did not 'abandon' Nathan or Madelyn.

Scott heard his team-mate, best-friend and former lover had just come back from the dead and needed to go see her.

Madelyne gave an ultimatum as she was sick of the whole X-Men business (To be fair to her, Scott did not really explain anything.)

Scott went anyway. NOTE: He did not get back together with Jean at this point.

Scott tried to first phone Madelyne and got no answer and so he thought she was just mad at him.

Scott then went back to Alaska and found the house destroyed and Madelyn and Nathan missing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I just get annoyed by this claim that keeps popping up.

I don't think the marriage would have lasted in the long-term though.

Scott would always be drawn back to the X-Men, it's just who he is (as he said he is the X-Men) and Madelyne would eventually get fed up with it.

It does not make either of them evil or wrong, just people with different motivations who should not be together.
    No apologies needed. I appreciate those additional details. My memory was fuzzy on this. Speed reading the story again and I agree about their relationship...it was toxic.

Maddy punched Scott (that alone should have ended it) and ultimatums are another way of saying "My way or no way" and my reply will always be then its No Way.

I read that Claremont wanted Scott to retire with a happy ever after ending with a family but damn...with a woman that looked exactly like his deceased girlfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    Granted, it was a huge blemish on Scott’s character for choosing Jean over his son and Jean’s clone, but damn did it make for some good, prime time soap opera drama that we come to expect with the X-Men.

I’m all for adapting it for the drama alone.
    But at the same time, I literally know guys that had kids with some really twisted ladies. They threaten they'll never see their kids again if their demands aren't met. Not saying Scott was justified. He should have told Maddy the truth and urged her this is really important but promised he'll be back.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 03-21-2024 at 01:52 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I never read that story as a "blemish" though I can see why others thought that way.

However, If the woman I had loved with all my heart and soul died in my arms, and I attended her funeral and watched the coffin lowered into the ground...then a year later, I suddenly got a call saying that she was alive...I would have called and gone to see if it was true. Even against the ultimatum I was given.

In-story, by the time Jean made him come to his senses and he made his way back to Maddie and Nathan to be husband and father Sinister had already kidnapped the baby and attempted to kill Maddie. So yes...Soap opera drama at its highest.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Spectacular Member

Granted, it was a huge blemish on Scott’s character for choosing Jean over his son and Jean’s clone, but damn did it make for some good, prime time soap opera drama that we come to expect with the X-Men.

Please read my post just a bit above yours.

I do agree on the soap opera though.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    No apologies needed. I appreciate those additional details. My memory was fuzzy on this. Speed reading the story again and I agree about their relationship...it was toxic.

Maddy punched Scott (that alone should have ended it) and ultimatums are another way of saying "My way or no way" and my reply will always be then its No Way.
    Agreed

I read that Claremont wanted Scott to retire with a happy ever after ending with a family but damn...with a woman that looked exactly like his deceased girlfriend?
    Yeah, in all honesty I have to put that down to Scott having "problems" due to Jean's death and all his friends just ignoring the obvious red-flags.

I liked the show a lot.

Cyclops was really cool in it, but I feel they are showing him as a capable field commander this earlier in part to highlight how the whole situation with Jean/Maddy will affect his ability to lead later in the show.

One complain I have, is he uses his blasts way too much, he should not be using it to hit regular dudes in hand-to-hand fights.

Also, the guys he hit earlier in the first episode while without his visor, should not only be dead, but should also be pulverized. If he is capable of hitting someone with an unrestrained optic blasts and not killing them, when Storm eventually removes his visor (I think it will happen sometime this season) why would he just concede the fight, instead of keeping fighting?

Aside from this, all I have to say is poor Gambit, and Storm using lighting to turn sand into glass and then hurling it in a hurricane was very creative, have this been done in the comics before?
    Last edited by Ra-El; 03-21-2024 at 02:00 PM.

Ironically Claremont is the one that created the problems between Scott and Maddie which what happen in X-Factor not seem out of place bc Claremont was unknowingly planting the seeds for it. They were not a perfect happy family under him. I think Scott kinda regreted marrying he bc the mundane life in Alaska was too boring for him and he yearned to be a superhero which conflicted with the life that Maddie wanted for them

Ultimate Member

It doesn't matter that he didn't get back together with Jean, Maddy was to close to her due date and Scott ran off to see Jean and he was gone for longer than a day or two and one measly call home is a pathetic excuse on his part. Scott's way of solving arguments that he had with Alex at 8 years old was to beat Alex silly until he gave in. So Scott has little to no moral high ground on anything.

I think the one thing I could complain about was Ross Marquand's Professor X who really sounded like a parody of Cedric Smith's Xavier voice, but maybe that was just Morph trying too hard with his impression.

I only knew Storm was turning sand to glass because of Sweet Home Alabama, haha. Thank Reese Witherspoon for my science education.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I never read that story as a "blemish" though I can see why others thought that way.

However, If the woman I had loved with all my heart and soul died in my arms, and I attended her funeral and watched the coffin lowered into the ground...then a year later, I suddenly got a call saying that she was alive...I would have called and gone to see if it was true. Even against the ultimatum I was given.

In-story, by the time Jean made him come to his senses and he made his way back to Maddie and Nathan to be husband and father Sinister had already kidnapped the baby and attempted to kill Maddie. So yes...Soap opera drama at its highest.
    Still, you don't just up and leave your wife and child because your former ex-flame reemerges, regardless of feelings. And yeah he tried to contact Maddie... weeks later lol. Cyclops has grown as a character since then, but I don't care how anybody tries to spin it, he was punk for that and not a man.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    I only knew Storm was turning sand to glass because of Sweet Home Alabama, haha. Thank Reese Witherspoon for my science education.
    That movie is exactly what I remembered too, when I saw that scene.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Still, you don't just up and leave your wife and child because your former ex-flame reemerges, regardless of feelings. And yeah he tried to contact Maddie... weeks later lol. Cyclops has grown as a character since then, but I don't care how anybody tries to spin it, he was punk for that and not a man.
    You won't. I probably would given the extreme circumstances. Scott did. Three different persons. Three different reactions. And you have no right to judge. I mean, you could...but it wouldn't matter or change anything.

Ditto, gotta take the bad with the good. Especially if they went there with Rogue, Cyclops shouldn't be protected just because of how he was treated in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    You won't. I probably would given the extreme circumstances. Scott did. Three different persons. Three different reactions. And you have no right to judge. I mean, you could...but it wouldn't matter or change anything.
    I'm not judging anyone. How you or anybody feels on the situation is their business. Cyclops was still a punk tho for abandoning his wife and child and keeping his marriage a secret from Jean... for weeks.

But at the same time, I literally know guys that had kids with some really twisted ladies. They threaten they'll never see their kids again if their demands aren't met. Not saying Scott was justified. He should have told Maddy the truth and urged her this is really important but promised he'll be back.
    And that's exactly why they should go to those places with these stories, because for all of the mutants, time travel and supernatural elements, it's still a relatable story. Like you said, some guys have really bad relationships with their exes and it bleeds over with the kids. That's Scott/Maddy/Jean all day lol.

BTW, I always felt the worst for Jean in that situation. Think about it, you're wrapped up in a cosmic cocoon for so long, you come back to life and not only did everyone think you were dead, they thought you were an avatar for this cosmic entity and the person that you loved moved on and had a baby with a woman who is your literal genetic clone.

That's a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    I'm not judging anyone. How you or anybody feels on the situation is their business. Cyclops was still a punk tho for abandoning his wife and child and keeping his marriage a secret from Jean... for weeks.
    I guess thats where you, I and others disagree and its the use of that word abandon. That would imply that he had no intentions of ever going back and that simply wasnt true

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Angry Joe gave it a 8/10 and said it because the 3rd episode was the best!

I loved the first two episodes and I was actually worried episode 3 would be a dropoff.