Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Scott is a straight white male who's basically a vanilla boy scout. For sure he's going to get his ass kicked and never going to be a true leader on the show.

But the show is great. Hopefully the ratings are there. Never watched the old episodes but now there's a good reason to.

Yay, it begins. Please explain how Scott should be depicted? Why exactly are we comparing Scott and Storm when one controls the forces of nature and the other shoots laser beams from his eyes? Storm lost to X-Cutioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I gave the show a chance and had some good action. But every trope I hate was used by Beau Demayo in these scripts. Cyclops especially came across as a 2nd banana. They are really using Scott for nostalgia but it's clear they didn't want him to appear as super strong. People are talking about his optic fights but they also showed him getting his butt kicked easily by Executioner. Whereas a Storm is depicted as the most powerful mutant. It's clear Scott is just being exploited as a placeholder under Storm replaces him. Cyclops will never be used correctly he's going to go off in the sunset by the end of the series or to be a rogue fighter or something. I feel like it's the Obi Wan show again or most Marvel phase 4 with this same premise.

All I'll say is I think the original show was more mature than this show. I don't know how or explain it but the original show felt more elegant? Or regal in its depictions of characters. Or at least had more personality. The characters here feel less organic and more forced.

Idk I just don't like how every Marvel trope is in this show and the lack of creatively or thought in the story and characters is how people are introduced to these characters now.
    Storm is more powerful, which fits canon. But she got much less focus in these two episodes, which were about his plans with Jean, worries about Magneto and how he's had to carry a lot of burdens as a leader. They might retire him as a leader at some point, ala the comics. But he's being shown as nothing less than competent, reliable and in control.

And in the first episode, he saved Roberto after Storm and Bishop got knocked down. As for getting his butt kicked: all of the X-Men were getting their butts kicked by the X-Cutioner and Storm didn't even get to fight him.
    Last edited by Rift; 03-21-2024 at 06:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

They replaced the straight, white male leader of the X-Men with another straight, white male leader. Woe be upon thee.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I gave the show a chance and had some good action. But every trope I hate was used by Beau Demayo in these scripts. Cyclops especially came across as a 2nd banana. They are really using Scott for nostalgia but it's clear they didn't want him to appear as super strong. People are talking about his optic fights but they also showed him getting his butt kicked easily by Executioner. Whereas a Storm is depicted as the most powerful mutant. It's clear Scott is just being exploited as a placeholder under Storm replaces him. Cyclops will never be used correctly he's going to go off in the sunset by the end of the series or to be a rogue fighter or something. I feel like it's the Obi Wan show again or most Marvel phase 4 with this same premise.
    So you think that Storm, who is an omega mutant and powers can be used in multifaceted ways for both defense and offense, should not be used as such and because Cyclops is the leader? A good leader knows when to deploy their most powerful asset. That's like saying you shouldn't use Rogue if you need a flying tank, or Wolverine if you need someone to literally cut through the enemy. And psst I don't know if you know this yet but spoilers:
    In the comics Cyclops lost to Storm who was powerless and she then lead the X-Men for a long time
    end of spoilers Cyclops is a strategist, and a show off in that first fight lol, but used his abilities in unique and fun ways in both episodes. The fact that he, as well as a Beast, Gambit, and Morph, all lost to the X-Cutioner is standard fare. Because how else do you showcase how dangerous the villain is without making them look OP against the heroes?? I will say the X-Cutioner's offensive upgrade in mere days was wild.

Outside of some required xplaining for newer viewers, these two episodes were fantastic.

Also spoilers:
    Is anyone else getting the vibe that when Maddie is fully introduced and goes dark, Wolverine will be her Goblyn Prince this time instead of Alex (as he has no real relevance in the series)? This would be THE ULTIMATE in their triangle where he chooses with the other Jean who he was present for her pregnancy and childbirth
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Askani's Flame; 03-21-2024 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Bad spelling lol

Sometimes I feel like some people watched an entirely different show.

Astonishing Member

Out of curiosity, how much of the trailers was allready seen in these first two episodes?

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

All I'll say is I think the original show was more mature than this show. I don't know how or explain it but the original show felt more elegant? Or regal in its depictions of characters. Or at least had more personality. The characters here feel less organic and more forced.

Idk I just don't like how every Marvel trope is in this show and the lack of creatively or thought in the story and characters is how people are introduced to these characters now.
    Post AvX made Cyclops my all time favorite hero in comics. I'm personally can't stand most modern entertainment (both comic and movies) because I feel story and characters are sacrificed to force feed a message. Heck, before watching X-Men 97 I was expecting a soul-less cash grab trying to draw fans who want to relive the glory days one more time

However, X-Men 97 easily gets my chef's kiss on these first two episodes so far. The new actors are doing a great job, the action and pacing is top notch, and I'm absolutely loving this story. Cyclops. Storm, and Magneto (especially) are the show stealers right now but I also love the scenes from Morph, Rogue, and Wolverine. As for Cyke, I'm VERY happy watching his performance in this show. Yeah he has cool powers, but the best Cyclops Stories are written by those who make use of Scott's Tactical Brain. He doesn't have to be powerful to be interesting. (Look at Batman). On paper, Storm is extremely powerful and this show is making use of it. When her journey is finished I'm predicting she'll be stronger as an overall person and she gets her powers back it'll be endgame epic.

As much as I HATED the Madeline/Inferno Story, I can't believe how eager I am to see how this version will play out. Really hoping they don't stick with the original script. Whatever Beau has done, I hope it wasn't too bad and it'll be water under the bridge. Very talented writer and hoping he returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Also spoilers:
    Is anyone else getting the vibe that when Maddie is fully introduced and goes dark, Wolverine will be her Goblyn Prince this time instead of Alex (as he has no real relevance in the series)? This would be THE ULTIMATE in their triangle wherehe sizes with the other Jean who he was present for her pregnancy and childbirth
    end of spoilers
    That's an interesting thought, and I'd be all for it.

Inferno is one of my favorites X-Men stories and I wish we'd actually get a 5-episodes arc like we did with the Phoenix Saga, but it doesn't look like that's happening.

Also spoilers:
    Is anyone else getting the vibe that when Maddie is fully introduced and goes dark, Wolverine will be her Goblyn Prince this time instead of Alex (as he has no real relevance in the series)? This would be THE ULTIMATE in their triangle where he chooses with the other Jean who he was present for her pregnancy and childbirth
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Logan in a fetish gear? Hmm
    end of spoilers

Also spoilers:
    Is anyone else getting the vibe that when Maddie is fully introduced and goes dark, Wolverine will be her Goblyn Prince this time instead of Alex (as he has no real relevance in the series)? This would be THE ULTIMATE in their triangle where he sizes with the other Jean who he was present for her pregnancy and childbirth
    end of spoilers
    that be a interesting dilemma would Logan just settle for any Jean to love him or would he care about the og like Scott?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Question:

For those of you who followed the Krakoa era in the comics, do you like, hate, or are indifferent to this show?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jignat View Post
    Question:

For those of you who followed the Krakoa era in the comics, do you like, hate, or are indifferent to this show?
    Comic stuff has nothing to do with this cartoon so why should it matter?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Yay, it begins. Please explain how Scott should be depicted? Why exactly are we comparing Scott and Storm when one controls the forces of nature and the other shoots laser beams from his eyes? Storm lost to X-Cutioner.
    For a second there, I thought it wouldn't, but lo and behold the BS.

Quote Originally Posted by jignat View Post
    Question:

I love it. But then we haven't been beat down with decimations, terrigen gases, and a narrative all humanity will do when mutants are at their lowest is try to finish the job of genocide. So krakoa had a lot leading up to it to make it such a breath of fresh air. until they decided to make them deviants of course then it was more of the same so krakoa pretty much ended for me there, though i've still found enjoyment in it from some titles but overall while i want it to stay i'd rather these writers gone more except for like two or three.
    Last edited by jwatson; 03-21-2024 at 07:33 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/