Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Scott is a straight white male who's basically a vanilla boy scout. For sure he's going to get his ass kicked and never going to be a true leader on the show.

But.
    Just what is a vanilla boy scout? Scott is like Superman? .. .. I can Superman giving lecture to people he saves, oh about car safety, thinking of others, obeying one's parents, etc. I can't see Mr. Summers doing that. Maybe Scott lacks some subtlety I don't understand. He has let other people take advantage of him over the years. And I hope that will stop some day. Can anyone else clarify? Just what does Scott Summers lack these days?

--jthree

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    thats cool and all but thats not how Morph was portrayed in the original series as we last left him. I kinda hope he gets a spotlight episode that kinda explains the changes bc he is the most jarring character here. Everyone else for the most part feels like a faithful progression from TAS except him
    Morph's appearance has absolutely changed, and I totally agree needs to be addressed. It is a stark difference. And if Morph gets a highlight episode, I hope it helps me like the voice actor, because I don't love the choice so far.

That said, I don't think the abilities seem wildly off. Morph's always been a quick-shifter. In the show, he morphed into Wolverine and snikt his claws and everything. He always morphs with accessories that look just as detachable as anything - like Jubilee's sunglasses, for example. He morphed into Omega Red with extremely long tentacles and was strong enough to trip them sentinels with them, then morphed into Wendigo and ripped a head off a sentinel, morphed into Angel and flew Jean to safety...

To me, it's just his base appearance that is so jarringly different. And needs to be addressed.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    Idk I feel like Jean #2 being a blank slate clone that becomes the Goblin Queen just because wouldn't be as impactful and dramatic as Jean # 1 finding out her whole life was a lie, snapping and becoming the Goblin Queen
    I just fear that they're going to blame it all on Maddy and have Scott and Jean be blameless and innocent of all, nor acknowledging that Maddy is innocent as well as long as she didn't know that she's the clone.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    Morph's appearance has absolutely changed, and I totally agree needs to be addressed. It is a stark difference. And if Morph gets a highlight episode, I hope it helps me like the voice actor, because I don't love the choice so far.

That said, I don't think the abilities seem wildly off. Morph's always been a quick-shifter. In the show, he morphed into Wolverine and snikt his claws and everything. He always morphs with accessories that look just as detachable as anything - like Jubilee's sunglasses, for example. He morphed into Omega Red with extremely long tentacles and was strong enough to trip them sentinels with them, then morphed into Wendigo and ripped a head off a sentinel, morphed into Angel and flew Jean to safety...

To me, it's just his base appearance that is so jarringly different. And needs to be addressed.
    Maybe when Sinister returns they will explain it as a side effect of him experimenting on him

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    Idk I feel like Jean #2 being a blank slate clone that becomes the Goblin Queen just because wouldn't be as impactful and dramatic as Jean # 1 finding out her whole life was a lie, snapping and becoming the Goblin Queen
    Oh that would be an unexpected twist. I like it

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I just fear that they're going to blame it all on Maddy and have Scott and Jean be blameless and innocent of all, nor acknowledging that Maddy is innocent as well as long as she didn't know that she's the clone.
    Blame them for what? This isnt the comics and you cant hold grudges on the 97 characters based off what happened in the books. So far no one has done anything that they need to be blamed for

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    He was cooking beignets. Go to NOLA, get them with some coffee and powdered sugar and you won’t want nothing sweet for a year. LOL.
    Ah, we have something similar in philly. They're called sky pillows.

I just finished the second episode. I'm liking the series overall, but I'm struggling a bit with the breakneck speed of the pacing. The original let scenes breathe a bit more, or maybe I'm just old.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

great memory
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Was about to post this, it happens in the episode 'Courage' (though it was Sasquatch, not Wendigo ). I think it's even implied in that fight that they can emulate Longshot's luck powers by morphing into him. In an earlier episode, they use their bulk to overwhelm Wolvie when transforming into Sabretooth, a panther, and a rhino.
    Last edited by Mormel; 03-22-2024 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Correct pronouns
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post

just my opinion the facial expression she was making right before it cut off made it seem like she’s upset jean showed up and got in the way of her plan to get cyclops out the mansion. she was really pushing it so i think she knows and won’t be any surprise
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I gave the show a chance and had some good action. But every trope I hate was used by Beau Demayo in these scripts. Cyclops especially came across as a 2nd banana. They are really using Scott for nostalgia but it's clear they didn't want him to appear as super strong. People are talking about his optic fights but they also showed him getting his butt kicked easily by Executioner. Whereas a Storm is depicted as the most powerful mutant. It's clear Scott is just being exploited as a placeholder under Storm replaces him. Cyclops will never be used correctly he's going to go off in the sunset by the end of the series or to be a rogue fighter or something. I feel like it's the Obi Wan show again or most Marvel phase 4 with this same premise.

All I'll say is I think the original show was more mature than this show. I don't know how or explain it but the original show felt more elegant? Or regal in its depictions of characters. Or at least had more personality. The characters here feel less organic and more forced.

Idk I just don't like how every Marvel trope is in this show and the lack of creatively or thought in the story and characters is how people are introduced to these characters now.
    ...okay...I'll play. Out of curiosity how should the close quarters fist fight have gone against an armored opponent? Also remember how "the most powerful mutant" Storm was knocked unconscious in the first episode? Oh the [Friends of] Humanity!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I liked the original series and this one is very much in the vein of the original series.

My challenge with it is probably my own age. After 30 years, it's a bit hard for me to get back into this stuff like I did when I was a kid.

Not an indictment on the series at all, just that...I'm old..LOL.
    Yupp. I get that.

For me, it's not being old(er) one of the (few) reasons is a disconnect with the story being told. For instance, Storm losing her powers here is very different to the circumstances under which she lost her powers in the comic books, also in a different earlier era. I get why and how they decided to adapt these seminal stories (as with Jean/Nathan/Maddie) but I really have no emotional connection to the on-screen product. And it would have been the same for TAS, except TAS also had really gawdfrakkinawful animation.
    Finally watching the two episodes just left me...apathetic.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Yay, it begins. Please explain how Scott should be depicted? Why exactly are we comparing Scott and Storm when one controls the forces of nature and the other shoots laser beams from his eyes? Storm lost to X-Cutioner.
    it wasnt comparing the 2 characters. Storm is more than capable. The problem I am trying to explain are story tropes. HOW you get to that point is important. They keep showing Scott as a capable fighter but lacking the ability to lead. Storm is showcasing while flawed she has the ability to lead better than Scott. Also Storm didnt lose to x-cutioner she sacrificed herself. Scott got straight up beat. In wrestling you have clean finishes and dirty finishes. clean finishes are when a heel (villain) straight up beats a babyface (hero) to showcase the villain as superior. A dirty finish is when the heel cheats or the babyface gets distracted in order to win, thereby not showcasing a clear superiority. Storm got the dirty finish Scott got clean finished. And to make it worse to see Magneto just manhandle him directly after and show X-cutioner a coward is very demeaning. I probably wouldnt get as upset if I wasn't reading tons of comments saying this show did Cyclops justice. It isn't doing that, it's just showcasing him as having cool power fight moments. But anything outside of that it is writing him as not up to the challenge. As I said he's being written as a 2nd banana intentionally because he has to be built up before being replaced.

This trope of tearing down one character to amplify another is used so commonly by Marvel these days that yes it does bother me. I am giving the show a chance after constantly seeing marvel use the same tropes I HATE in writing. And that's the issue. The writing so far in the show is terrible there is some solid moments and it's only episode 2 but if I can see the end of the plot already just based on a few tropes then it's going to be boring for me. And if they make it so Gambit joins Sinister because Rogue and Magneto shared a moment I will get upset.

it wasnt comparing the 2 characters. Storm is more than capable. The problem I am trying to explain are story tropes. HOW you get to that point is important. They keep showing Scott as a capable fighter but lacking the ability to lead. Storm is showcasing while flawed she has the ability to lead better than Scott. Also Storm didnt lose to x-cutioner she sacrificed herself. Scott got straight up beat. In wrestling you have clean finishes and dirty finishes. clean finishes are when a heel (villain) straight up beats a babyface (hero) to showcase the villain as superior. A dirty finish is when the heel cheats or the babyface gets distracted in order to win, thereby not showcasing a clear superiority. Storm got the dirty finish Scott got clean finished. And to make it worse to see Magneto just manhandle him directly after and show X-cutioner a coward is very demeaning. I probably wouldnt get as upset if I wasn't reading tons of comments saying this show did Cyclops justice. It isn't doing that, it's just showcasing him as having cool power fight moments. But anything outside of that it is writing him as not up to the challenge. As I said he's being written as a 2nd banana intentionally because he has to be built up before being replaced.

This trope of tearing down one character to amplify another is used so commonly by Marvel these days that yes it does bother me. I am giving the show a chance after constantly seeing marvel use the same tropes I HATE in writing. And that's the issue. The writing so far in the show is terrible there is some solid moments and it's only episode 2 but if I can see the end of the plot already just based on a few tropes then it's going to be boring for me. And if they make it so Gambit joins Sinister because Rogue and Magneto shared a moment I will get upset.
    To be fair the x cutioner also used dirty tricks against Scott he took off his visor knowing that Cyclops would not open his eyes and risk harming civilians with a huge blast and basically beat the crap out off a handicapped Scott

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    ...okay...I'll play. Out of curiosity how should the close quarters fist fight have gone against an armored opponent? Also remember how "the most powerful mutant" Storm was knocked unconscious in the first episode? Oh the [Friends of] Humanity!
    Ok I can say it same as Mr Fantastic in Doctor Strange. A genius who is dealing with a formidable foe monologues about his secret weapon's ability rather than attempting to use any kind of strategy to fix the situation. Scott here again as a leader knew he was energy resistant and instead of using any fighting IQ to maybe keep his distance and find a weakness instead quips about dealing with him then charging in head first then getting his visor knocked off rather than letting the enemy come to him. They showed Scott as easy to taunt and easy to best with a little bit of thinking. And it wouldn't have been a problem if X-cutioner wasnt completely neutralized by Magneto and shown to be a coward right after. This is that trope where in order to reduce a character you show their combat skill but then don't give them any fighting intelligence to get out of complex situations. This is something I have complained about Gambit a lot too. Gambit is smart, but he never gets the opportunity to show himself outthinking opponents. He's just kinda become his powers. and that's what they did to Scott here.

OT, but I hope at some point, they do a real mutlipart Brood story.

The neutered "Colony" was underwhelming- one of the few outright misses of the old show.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I wouldn't say Cyclops got tore down because some dude put on an armour that negated his optic blast but made him vulnerable to Magneto's powers.

Where did you get that they made Storm look like a better leader than Scott? Cyclops led to rescue for Sunspot and the attack against Master Mold. Storm was Jean's confidant and helped Magneto when the X-Cutioner attacked.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 03-21-2024 at 10:50 AM.
    "Cable was right!"