Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    Just what is a vanilla boy scout? Scott is like Superman? .. .. I can Superman giving lecture to people he saves, oh about car safety, thinking of others, obeying one's parents, etc. I can't see Mr. Summers doing that. Maybe Scott lacks some subtlety I don't understand. He has let other people take advantage of him over the years. And I hope that will stop some day. Can anyone else clarify? Just what does Scott Summers lack these days?

--jthree
    I think Scott's very disciplined and and lives by a strict code, which makes him come across as a goody two-shoes, but a lot of writers have explored that it's more of a defense mechanism against a lot of inner turmoil. He had an intensely chaotic and traumatic childhood, a life and powers that felt totally out of control until Xavier gave him a father figure, a purpose and a way to take control of his powers and his life. Of course he's going to be a little intense in his dedication to Xavier's dream.

But Scott's "boy scout" persona is a defense mechanism. He's messed up inside. He's constantly overcompensating for his fear of losing control, and not just of his powers.

I think he's actually a really interesting, complex and dysfunctional character. I feel like people who view the character as some vanilla goody two-shoes don't really get the character. There's a lot of damage and dark emotions that his idealism and discipline are covering up.

Re Cyke, SOME people have trouble taking accountability which is why they find responsible figures like Scott and Superman as "boring".

It's no surprise the Murdoch company prioritized the manchildren characters over Scott. The MCU was really not all that different either which was one reason I initially thought they wouldn't be all that better for the mutants but at least they had to give Captain America focus considering he had his own franchise (which Tony hijacked towards the end but I digress).

A character is only 'uncool' if they don't have cool moments and are neutered and defanged like was the case with Scott and to an extent Ororo in the FoX-Men movies. Being a Boy Scout has nothing to do with it. Scott came across as pretty badass when he wasn't having Logan's tantrums in Ep 1.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 03-24-2024 at 12:47 AM.

Lol wolverine with the incel behavior, simping after a pregnant married woman.

People are so used to the character assassination of Cyclops made on the X-Men movies that when he is propered characterized it's a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Yeah, having to wear a shackle over your neck to get freaky. Totally no issues with that.

Who said Rogue cheated on Gambit?
    Right so as Havok83 mentioned you dont think Beast can easily make a necklace or bracelet with the same effect? I am sorry it is just a dumb and uncreative storyline at this point. I said "IF" in my response to Havok83.
    Last edited by remydat; 03-24-2024 at 09:00 AM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Re Cyke, SOME people have trouble taking accountability which is why they find responsible figures like Scott and Superman as "boring".

It's no surprise the Murdoch company prioritized the manchildren characters over Scott. The MCU was really not all that different either which was one reason I initially thought they wouldn't be all that better for the mutants but at least they had to give Captain America focus considering he had his own franchise (which Tony hijacked towards the end but I digress).

A character is only 'uncool' if they don't have cool moments and are neutered and defanged like was the case with Scott and to an extent Ororo in the FoX-Men movies. Being a Boy Scout has nothing to do with it. Scott came across as pretty badass when he wasn't having Logan's tantrums in Ep 1.
    The issue isnt with Cyke being responaible. The issue is he is written with such an annoying holier than thou attitude although this version of him seems to have somw measure of self awareness and acknowledges it towards the end.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Based on the science talked about on this show, the mutant control collars use RADIATION to mess with the X-Gene. I don't think Rogue wants to be using one of those recreationally. Beast even made her a version in the comics(whose mode of action is unknown), but it gave her a headache.

Ultimately, Rogue and Cyclops's inabilities to control their powers are most assuredly some manner of psychosomatic situation. It is somewhat silly that even after many years with a telepathic psychologist like Charles, they rarely(if ever) achieve a measure of control, but I believe that is more to do with editorial department, and wanting to continue certain tropes/themes with these characters, that prevents them from development. This could also be extended to Gambit; to pursue someone who is physically inaccessible could be a projection of his own traumas associated with his parents leaving him so young.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 03-24-2024 at 10:35 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post

I'm not really sure how you're gonna try and compare how the Fox movies handled Cyclops to how the MCU handled Captain America, and say they gave Cap focus because they were obligated to.
    Like no, even in just the team up movies how Cap was handled is night and day compared to how Cyclops was.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Based on the science talked about on this show, the mutant control collars use RADIATION to mess with the X-Gene. I don't think Rogue wants to be using one of those recreationally. Beast even made her a version in the comics(whose mode of action is unknown), but it gave her a headache.

Ultimately, Rogue and Cyclops's inabilities to control their powers are most assuredly some manner of psychosomatic situation. It is somewhat silly that even after many years with a telepathic psychologist like Charles, they rarely(if ever) achieve a measure of control, but I believe that is more to do with editorial department, and wanting to continue certain tropes/themes with these characters, that prevents them from development. This could also be extended to Gambit; to pursue someone who is physically inaccessible could be a projection of his own traumas associated with his parents leaving him so young.
    At least in the comics, Cyclops’ inability to control his blasts has been attributed to brain damage sustained in the parachute drop after his parents shoved him and Alex out of the plane to escape the Shi’ar.

At various points, writers have had that brain damage repaired - I recall at least one instance when fighting Ozymandias - by deliberate action or accident. But then the repair is never mentioned again and he falls back into the status quo. Hell, if nothing else, resurrection should have repaired that damage by this point. There is literally no reason for Cyclops to not be able to control his optic blasts of crimson force from the Punch Dimension EXCEPT lazy adherence to status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Right so as Havok83 mentioned you dont think Beast can easily make a necklace or bracelet with the same effect? I am sorry it is just a dumb and uncreative storyline at this point. I said "IF" in my response to Havok83.
    Dumb and uncreative would also be just having Beast create a device that fixes the problem, too, but that may just be me.

If long-time comic fans aren't used to the status quo being reset (to varying degrees, sometimes), I don’t know what to say. Could be one of the reasons I take a break from comics every now and then.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 03-24-2024 at 12:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    The issue isnt with Cyke being responaible. The issue is he is written with such an annoying holier than thou attitude although this version of him seems to have somw measure of self awareness and acknowledges it towards the end.
    Amusingly I've recently started watching the 90s show and I've found Wolverine to be kind of an obnoxious jerkwad. Where he's constantly dominated by his own emotions, does whatever he wants, and has absolutely little respect for the leader even when they make tactically justified decisions.

I found the gut punch he gives Scott and then destroying his car after losing Morph a real crossing the line moment, and a massively childish spiteful decision on his part.

I find leader characters tend to be underrated because fans don't realize the necessity of a point man to keep everyone together, but on the other measure lone-wolf thumbing their nose to authority characters are absolutely overrated and overhyped by the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    At least in the comics, Cyclops’ inability to control his blasts has been attributed to brain damage sustained in the parachute drop after his parents shoved him and Alex out of the plane to escape the Shi’ar.

At various points, writers have had that brain damage repaired - I recall at least one instance when fighting Ozymandias - by deliberate action or accident. But then the repair is never mentioned again and he falls back into the status quo. Hell, if nothing else, resurrection should have repaired that damage by this point. There is literally no reason for Cyclops to not be able to control his optic blasts of crimson force from the Punch Dimension EXCEPT lazy adherence to status quo.
    I would have given him limited control over the blasts. Like he can turn them off and on but he cant control the intensity. When he fires, its always at full power, which makes him dangerous to those around him. This would set it up so he would still need to wear the visor on missions so he's not always shooting destructive and potentially fatal blasts all the time

Fantastic Member

Scott is a very complex and great character. However, I have felt that since X-Factor, Scott has lost a certain something that made him special, if not to the readers, at least to me.
    Wolverine initially started out as a pain in the rear end character, who at times could be mean and a problem for the team. But in the past forty years, he became "cool" to a segment of the fans who forgot that it's harder to be the moral center than the person who does what he wants, when he wants. Have to disagree with the poster that Scott deals with dark emotions. As originally written, he was ray of hope that learned to live with the price his powers exact.

I didn't care how the X-Men films portrayed Cyclops, and I'm guessing that a great many fans didn't care either. Hugh Jackman's Wolverine supplanted him because he was "cool," and Mr. Marsten didn't get a chance go show us a fully informed and in charge Cyclops. This was to our loss. Who was it, who was originally scheduled to play Wolverine? Bob Hoskins? Something like that? He was on Roger Rabbit. That was before they decided to go the Hugh Jackman route.

But another poster suggests that it's the "Murdoch" company (Fox) that was to blame for this and for favoring the "manchildren." Again, I would say it was more the director, writer, and producer rather than company as a whole. By the way, who else are the manchildren in the X-Men besides Wolverine?

Just some thoughts. But I agree with those who felt Scott hasn't been done right in many years, but I feel it started when the left Madelyne.

==jthree

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    Who was it, who was originally scheduled to play Wolverine? Bob Hoskins? Something like that?
    Dougray Scott?

Yooo!! And Just like that I back to loving the X-Men. Had to take a break for a bit but X-men '97 has Astonished me with it's animation style, writing and staying true to the characters I used to watch back in the 90s. I felt like a kid again watching my second favorite Saturday morning Cartoon (The first of course being Spider-Man '94....who I hope makes an appearance since CDB is still around and sounds the exact same too. one can only hope). Gahhh these first two episodes were such a breath of fresh air. And I don't know who the new voice for Cyclops is but he sounds exactly like the original.

Speaking of the originals I am so happy that the original voices have returned. The moment I heard Storm's monologue in episode 1, I was like it's like a day hasn't passed. So glad that the restrictions of old are gone and the action is able to flourish. They are actually able to fight and use their powers as intended and it's awesome.

Storm being the Goddess was chef's kiss, and her losing her powers was in the comics so I am going to keep rocking with the show to see where they go. I am assuming she's going on her walk about and will run into Forge.

Cyclops being a badass....FINALLLYYYY!!!!!! People are waking up to the awesomeness that is Scott Summers/Cyclops. From that intro to the iconic: To me, My X-Men line. So good. And I am generally shocked that they're going the Madelyne Pryor/Jean Grey mix up situation. A very interesting choice but of course if it means more Cable then why not. And I should have expected it since they said Sinister was going to be the main villain.

All the other X-Men are looking good and I can't wait to see more of them. Jubilee, Beast, Bishop, Morph (Even though I was not a huge fan of morph, because c'mon there's mystique who just does it better. lol). Gambit looks good, and Rogue even though they took away the muscles and that eXtraoridnaire derriere.

Last but not least Magneto. My second favorite comic book villian (Green Goblin, Magneto, Doctor Doom...in that order lol). The long speeches are back and better than ever...that line....do not make me let you down. Goosebumps. Pure goosebumps. And that outfit...it's a choice but it's comic accurate so I'll allow it. Everything about Mags is perfect in this new retooling/revival. And I loooove the little eXtra dose of Chaos he brings to the team. He's led them before but of course he has his own agenda. I would not be surprised if he set up Storm or one of the X-Men to lose their powers in that UN confrontation. He's always got an angle or an Ace up his sleeve, so I am curious as to what they do with him.

And it seems Mags has a Queen up his sleeves too. I don't see what the big fuss is with him and Rogue being together. I think it adds not takes away from anything. Plus in any media Rogue and Gambit are just flat out boring....someone had to say it. He does not challenge her in anyway and I can barely understand a word he says. So there ya go. If people say it's the age thing. I call bull. How old are the X-Men supposed to be. This is the Uncanny X-Men version...not X-Men Evo. Rogue is a grown woman in her 20s....so what if she want's to date an older dude what's the problem....happens alllllll the time. Plus you can't get mad at Rogneto without getting mad at the age gap btwen Wolverine and Jean or Wolverine and Storm or Wolverine and....whoever. The dude is over one hundred. So there ya go. Get over it.

Anway great first two episodes. I am here for the rest. I here for it!!!! Back to loving the X-Men... Make mine Marvel..again.

(PS. If anyone in power at Marvel Animation is reading this....please....please... Revive Spider-Man '94. Excelsior!!!)
    Last edited by the nomad; 03-24-2024 at 07:17 PM.