Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanos just locked death within a stone at the end of his recent mini so this continues from that I guess. Tired of Thanos stories going back to the stones. He should be well over all that but writers keep ignoring his character development he recieved prior to his death in Annihilation.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

They should just call them the Infinites, not the Infinity Watch.

And I agree that Thanos chasing down the stones for the bazillionth time is beyond trite at this point. Will someone please just stick the Ultimate Nullifier in his mouth and have him bite down? Hard.

Don't get me wrong, Thanos was a great character, but they've ruined him.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I wish I cared, and I truly mean that. I genuinely wish I cared, but the breaks we've gotten from Thanos have been so incredibly short nearly a decade that regardless of his status as one of Marvel's Big Bad I don't know how many years it will take for me to be excited about seeing Thanos or a big Thanos plot again. Thanos has been thoroughly milked. I'd be more hype to see Thane at this point.
    ^^^Same.
    PPL on the DC forum talk about being Jokered out, and I am, but this is worse for me, as I was never a big Thanos fan or found him compelling to begin with.

Still it’s no big, just a bunch of book I’ll avoid.

Astonishing Member

This seems like an unnecessarily messy way to dispose of Star & Co.

Thanos is just dull now. The most interesting he’s been in a decade was when he briefly switched to worshiping Oblivion in Ewing’s Ultimates and when dealing with his Eternal relatives

Landy's Winter Soldier and Falcon mini was good fun, as was the Cap + Iron Man mini, to a slightly lesser extent.

Can't comment on avengers, but he has done cosmic stuff before (His Black Order mini)

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The problem when you have a a Mcguffin like the Infinity Gauntlet is you can really only use it once. The more you try and use it after the initial story the worse the results get until its just a joke. Marvel should have NEVER backtracked on their solution to the Gauntlet way back when they had the Living Tribunal decree the stones would never work in unison again. It left the individual stones in play but took away future hacky writers from trying to tell "their" version of the Gauntlet story.

Nothing done with the Gauntlet since the original story has ever come even close to being as good.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    This seems like an unnecessarily messy way to dispose of Star & Co.
    True, it sounds like Star and the others will be depowered or killed in this event.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The problem when you have a a Mcguffin like the Infinity Gauntlet is you can really only use it once. The more you try and use it after the initial story the worse the results get until its just a joke. Marvel should have NEVER backtracked on their solution to the Gauntlet way back when they had the Living Tribunal decree the stones would never work in unison again. It left the individual stones in play but took away future hacky writers from trying to tell "their" version of the Gauntlet story.

Nothing done with the Gauntlet since the original story has ever come even close to being as good.
    It always annoyed me how they played fast and loose with the nature of the gems anyway. At some point we're told they were powerless outside of their native cosmos. Well, Eternity/Infinity was not their native cosmos, if the stones were indeed the relics of a previous cosmos as Thanos originally stated. Nevertheless, somehow, they not only worked, but a person wielding them was potentially more powerful than Eternity/Infinity. So much for logic and consistency.

That the Living Tribunal would later come along to establish that the stones could no longer work in unison was an equally nonsensical plot point, since the LT's bailiwick is magic. The Soul gems/Infinity Stones, while capable of the metaphysical and the esoteric, are not mystical items. (Which, ultimately explains why there isn't an Infinity stone that encompasses the magical aspect of that prior cosmos.)

Anyway...if it helps them sell a book or two, I wish them all the best. But if the previews of the new Infinity Watch are accurate, I probably won't be subscribing to that series.

Marvel always seem to forget that they have another entire set of stones they can use for stores like this without a re-tread.

if you want to do something new and interesting with Thanos, how about he finally turns his back on Death, and starts trying to re-assemble The Lifestone, instead of chasing the damn gauntlet for the 100th time?
    The Lifestone was a singular item that shattered into several other smaller relics across the MU... The Bloodstone, Sphinx's Ka Stone, Manwolf's Godstone, Basilisk's Alpha/Omega stones, Moonstone's Kree gravity stone, Dr. Spectrum's power-prism, Darkhawk (and others') Sh'iar Raptor amulets...

so, turn him against Death and set him on a quest to gather these instead, with a new plan of using the re-assembled Lifestone to eliminate Death from this reality altogether...

he'd have to hurt and/or de-power a lot of characters to achieve this, so there's a still a a sinister element to it...

it could also sow some disharmony among the characters you put up against him, since some of them might think what he's doing is a good idea... but then, there are others who saw The Cancerverse (remember that place?) and what the likely result would be if Death is eliminated and Life continues to grow and spread unchecked...

a nice moral quandary for the "heroes", and, it sort of makes sense that by now Thanos should be sick of the ways Death always taunts and manipulates him

I also just want to see Thanos and the Sphinx go at it. would be a fun match-up
    Last edited by Aarkus; 03-28-2024 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aarkus View Post
    Marvel always seem to forget that they have another entire set of stones they can use for stores like this without a re-tread.

if you want to do something new and interesting with Thanos, how about he finally turns his back on Death, and starts trying to re-assemble The Lifestone, instead of chasing the damn gauntlet for the 100th time?
    The Lifestone was a singular item that shattered into several other smaller relics across the MU... The Bloodstone, Sphinx's Ka Stone, Manwolf's Godstone, Basilisk's Alpha/Omega stones, Moonstone's Kree gravity stone, Dr. Spectrum's power-prism, Darkhawk (and others') Sh'iar Raptor amulets...

so, turn him against Death and set him on a quest to gather these instead, with a new plan of using the re-assembled Lifestone to eliminate Death from this reality altogether...

he'd have to hurt and/or de-power a lot of characters to achieve this, so there's a still a a sinister element to it...

it could also sow some disharmony among the characters you put up against him, since some of them might think what he's doing is a good idea... but then, there are others who saw The Cancerverse (remember that place?) and what the likely result would be if Death is eliminated and Life continues to grow and spread unchecked...

a nice moral quandary for the "heroes", and, it sort of makes sense that by now Thanos should be sick of the ways Death always taunts and manipulates him

I also just want to see Thanos and the Sphinx go at it. would be a fun match-up
    Well he certainly turned his back on Death last week, so that’s a start
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Well he certainly turned his back on Death last week, so that’s a start
    wasn't aware of this, but yeah, about f'k'n time

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    A new set of Infinity Watch annuals has been announced. Thanos, Thor, Amazing Spider-Man all solicited for July, and Hulk, Ms. Marvel and Spider-Boy are also mentioned to be involved.
    https://www.cbr.com/marvel-thanos-in...nes-crossover/
    Whatever happened to the good old days when Marvel didn't think Spider-Man was a team guy?
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Whatever happened to the good old days when Marvel didn't think Spider-Man was a team guy?
    ^^^Or (and I know many will disagree) a multiversal character.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Or (and I know many will disagree) a multiversal character.
    I certainly don't disagree! I mean, I like the Spider-Verse movies and even enjoyed the first comic event quite a bit, but it's too much at this point.

As for Thanos, he really was a great character who did grown from his original experience with the stones, and as someone mentioned above, up to his death in Annihilation. But Marvel has truly turned him into a one-note character these days and just keeps repeating the same story, basically, over and over. It's tiring, and sad, because Thanos, to me, was up there with Dr. Doom as one of the smartest, deadliest, and sometimes helpful baddies in the Marvel Universe. Top 5 villain in my opinion; he was.

Sigh...but I'll give these annuals a shot. I really hope they don't kill Star, though. I know she's been absent a while now, but I really enjoyed her crazy personality and attempt at being a sorta-heroine, especially in that Spider-Man annual. I want her to stick around.