Page 1 of 161 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Colossus Appreciation

there is no way I'm losing this commentary and it will be on the first page (yay)
    Anaylsis of Colosonaut era

Okay now that the arc is done my two cents.

If there are two words i had to say to determine the colossonaut saga, it would be wasted potential.

We were told, not shown, that Cyttorak had given Colossus more power then classic Juggernaut.

However, we were never shown this. After his great stalemating of Kuurth, he pretty much did little of consequence into the background.

If somebody has a list of classic feats of juggernaut, I'd love it to have it posted, because then we can compare it to colossus' feats below.

Colossus appreciation thread

I can almost guarentee you that he did little to nothing of consequence with the new power.

Here are the few I remember.

1. the sinister story arc: sinister shows up, takes over the xtinction team, and colossus has his helmet on.

sinister should have felt like he was in a cage match with a god and be shaking.

one optic blast later, he was receptive like everybody else.

Don't get me wrong, this is a common way to defeat classic juggernaut. namely get the helmet off and mindscrew him.

but other then a head squish (which colossus could have done anyways), what did he do to show his new power level?

2. Tabula Rosa: I remember precisely one thing from this that might have shown it.

When Magik got captured, he morphed up and basically singlehandedly killed the alien monsters.

sounds awesome right.

It happened off screen...grumble.

Plus recent info might mean that magik was merely toying with him by allowing herself to be captured. So off screen and inconsequential.

Incredible Member

AvsX - the blundering of potential.

I don't mind a story arc whose main purpose is to have hero fight hero. I'll let others argue the details of the arc itself. the main purpose of this is to show Colossus' context within it.

Right off the bat, the crossover sped up his time as this world breaker...which we never saw.

1. the red hulk/colossonaut fight was decent, but it required a moral victory for colossus, which resulted in his defeat. I guess we should be grateful we at least saw it, but man, the first major fight we see and he loses it.

2. Colossalnaut/Thing: This time we finally see how much powered up the new form is. I'll give them credit for it, but it didn't need the kick from red hulk to begin with. Kinda takes the wind out of the sales of a win when it starts with a humiliating cheap shot.

3. Colossalnaut/Spidey: While this was the curb stomp we expected, we didn't release this was used to set up sillyness later. quite frankly, normal Colossus can sonic slam spidey.

4. Phoenix 5: One of the few good things that came from this is he was treated as the one whom had the least bad intentions when it went out of control.

a. the breaking up of Kitty: He shows up, woos his beloved thinking the phoenix force could balence the darkness inside him. Kitty rejects him and he flips out. Yet despite being augemented by both cyttorak and a fragment of the phoenix force, he almost gets his heart ripped out.

Honestly, it probably wouldn't have done anything as it's been proven that classic juggs can regenerate better then wolverine, but they presented it as a death blow if ripped out...kinda a dick move here. I'm hoping it was just a pausing that got him to

b. Thor vs the Rasputins: We got lucky this time...we got a single picture and that's it.

c. the Spiderman incident: This is probably the reason why spidey was curbed stomped by colossus earlier. I have no problem having spiderman play the trickster, but it was badly written. So we have this epic fight between Illyria and Piotir...off screen.

My only solsice is that at least Piotir dealing with demonic forces actually made the world a better place, unlike some Peters .

5. Post Phoenix Reveal: Oddly enough, I don't have an issue with the reveal. I think it advances both characters and gives them some space. Both have been through a lot and it makes sense that illyria is so messed up that she did this out of love. once anger issues have been worked through it will be a healthier relationship, but illyria will have to get her conupence. She pissed off cyttorak hard and spends most of her time in a realm where she is at a fragement of her magical power. It's not going to be pretty.

Don't get me wrong. I like the internal struggle that he was going from. Colossus augmented with the Juggernaut should have been an event in itself, but it was horrifically sidelined. Most of his greatest fights happened off panel so we have no evidence of this era.

Incredible Member

now as a fan, I feel it is my obligation to not just complain, but also show how things ould be better

some of this has been posted elsewhere, but is being put in place for ease of reading.

for starters, colossus in general.

1. Show, not tell he is a class 100 brick: He needs at least one feat of strength per comic he is involved in. As well as one example of durability. Even one quick panel would improve the character.

2. Show why he is, more often then not, the confident of many of his friends: There is a reason why he's close with Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Storm.

3. Show why Kitty loves him: He should be a sensitive gentlemen who opens doors, pulls out chairs. Now that they are broken up, we need to see as he mends his broken heart that he's a sucker for a damsel in distress, even if he's trying to hide his fealings.

4. Show why Illyana and Piotir are close: The raputin siblings, when together, should almost be teambreakers on their own.

5. Show his artistic side: A fun thing to do is make him the illustrator for one of the x-men comics and have it told from his point of view.

6. Every so often, show that legendary temper of his: It's a long fuse, but when it breaks, it should be like setting off a nuke.

7. Give him some decisive wins: Often Colossus is a victim of the "worf effect". When he's involved it should be a "dear god" event as he lumbers towards you and your puny weapons just bounce off.

You remember that feeling in x2...more of it.

8. Play on his russian heritage and use it to launch stories.

9. colossus is uniquely suited for fighting the supernatural: besides being a class 100 brick, he's fully environmental (which means you can blind him, but not poison him and can wade through fire and brimstone with minimal effects), plus his osmodium steel body has many similar qualities to cold iron...which usually does a number on most supernatural creatures.

cold iron is bad enough, but being slammed by a class 100 strength punch made out of it should make most demons lives a lousy day.

His history seems to agree with me. In inferno saga, he was all but immune to most of the magical effects (to say nothing of one of the greatest body tackles of all time on the demon lord s'ym).

10. Beefcake: As much as I loath to say it, colossus is a perfect candidate for...well beefcake shots. Women and gay men need their pron too .

usage of him in the colossalnaut era.

I'm of serious mixed feelings on him being cytorak's avatar. Honestly, he should be quite literally unstoppable against just about anybody at this point.

1. His big win was stopping Kuurth in his tracks, but he needed more of these. He didn't get them.

2. what about Kurt?: his best friend died and he now has the power to save him.

hell I even came up with a scenerio to try it:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

magik finds out that nightcrawler's soul has been grabbed by mephisto.

colosonaut then demands to be dropped in hell.

he then makes a b-line towards where his soul is being kept...allowing nothing to get in his way. Even elder demons are not as "unstoppable" as the juggernaut.

when he gets there, he demands the soul as his own and cykorrat backs him up...mainly because he sees mephisto as a rival.

if done right, it would have great visuals and be up there with doom quest.

plus it could be a great way to make a monster manual and/or a future nemesis.

edit: use magik as his virgil and it could give her some good character development as well.

Post Colossalnaut era

It's starting with promise. Colossus has been betrayed by everybody he has sworn to protect and needs some recovery time. From what I understand he's going to be on the run so it's going to be heck to get that. Shacking up with mercs, we might be able to get those "made of rage moments" that he despirately needs.

He needs to also stay the heck away from the x-men. Even discounting Illyria's [Spoony]BETRAYAL![/Spoony] as far as he's concerned, his friends betrayed him as well. They have to mend a ton of fences if they want their beloved gentle giant back.

Aftermath: I'm of seriously mixed feelings about how easy it was to remove it. It makes the pathos greater, but I kinda hope that it wasn't perfect. It would show maybe Illyana isn't as all powerful as she thinks she is in limbo. Cyttorak should haunt Peter and maybe have left a fragment or two in his psyche and his power base. If he ever gets made of rage again, maybe the channel reopens.

This will also setup a mortal enemy with Juggernaut as he's now in a relationship where he's considered 2nd choice for the power he's bearing. This should give Cain his flashbacks with his brother charles and setup a ton of potential for stories.

Rogues Gallery: Besides being on the run from the avengers, betrayed by the x-men and possibly having a vindictive juggernaut on his trail, this could be a good time to setup a personal rogues gallery. From jobs gone wrong with cable, to the return of russian meta humans such as omega red (fox's cartoon's greatest repackaging), He also will get illyana's overflow of demonic rivals who think he's the weakest link, even if they aren't on speaking terms right now. A good rogues gallery will make him easier to use.

Colossus is a cool character and I'm interested to see if Yost/Kyle will write him and Iceman in an awkward moment when he re-joins the X-Men in Amazing X-Men #8. Heh.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    Colossus is a cool character and I'm interested to see if Yost/Kyle will write him and Iceman in an awkward moment when he re-joins the X-Men in Amazing X-Men #8. Heh.
    Hands down, two of my favorite X-Men characters... Then again, I do have an addiction to elemental mutants.

I would also like to see him again, he stopped appearing in X-Men books since the cancellation of Cable and X-Force. Hope to see him soon. Great character.

I wonder if he misses Domino?

Astonishing Member

Unstoppable Colossus Review
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bescJ9I1ieo

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    I wonder if he misses Domino?
    It will be interesting to see if they deal with that relationship at all. Best guess is that it gets a passing mention by Colossus that they broke up. Usually writers don't want to waste too much time dealing with closing out story threads that don't apply to the new story they are telling.

re: the Iceman thing. Realistically, Peter has pretty good reason to be pissed off at Bobby. Bobby broke the bro code of not dating a friend's ex. But at the same time, neither Peter nor Bobby strike me as petty people, so I'd imagine they would get over it and resume their friendship. If I was Kyle or Yost, I'd at least play that beat first. Why waste a gift wrapped personality conflict?
    Last edited by Jonas; 05-01-2014 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Usually writers don't want to waste too much time dealing with closing out story threads that don't apply to the new story they are telling.
    Makes sense. I read, somewhere, that Colossus is gonna be in Amazing X-Men. Is that right? If so, and Domino gets back with X-Force, then I doubt anything more will come of those two...

Yes, he'll be in Amazing X-men to start, written by Kyle and Yost. And although we don't know for sure, I agree that it doesn't seem likely that Peter and Domino will be involved anymore.

I agree that it doesn't seem likely that Peter and Domino will be involved anymore.
    Friends w/previous benefits, I guess...

It will be interesting to see if they deal with that relationship at all. Best guess is that it gets a passing mention by Colossus that they broke up. Usually writers don't want to waste too much time dealing with closing out story threads that don't apply to the new story they are telling.

re: the Iceman thing. Realistically, Peter has pretty good reason to be pissed off at Bobby. Bobby broke the bro code of not dating a friend's ex. But at the same time, neither Peter nor Bobby strike me as petty people, so I'd imagine they would get over it and resume their friendship. If I was Kyle or Yost, I'd at least play that beat first. Why waste a gift wrapped personality conflict?
    I think I'd rather enjoy a rocky relationship between the two. These guys usually get alone with everyone and if they actually dislike one another as a result of Kitty? I'd chuckle. June can't get here quickly enough. I want to see how exactly he ends up back at the mansion as it seems 8 is a set up issue for the rumble in 9.

An initially tense relationship between Bobby and Peter would add some spice to the proceedings, but I would only be interested if it was played more for laughs than the manner in which Wolverine and Cyclops hate each other. It could be fun, though, and is also interesting to me from the standpoint that Kitty dumped them both. That's something that they could eventually bond over, odd as it sounds.

An initially tense relationship between Bobby and Peter would add some spice to the proceedings, but I would only be interested if it was played more for laughs than the manner in which Wolverine and Cyclops hate each other. It could be fun, though, and is also interesting to me from the standpoint that Kitty dumped them both. That's something that they could eventually bond over, odd as it sounds.
    Every time I see your user icon it makes me want to play Last of Us again.