Page 55 of 161 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jcubed View Post
    The guy that plays The Mountain on Game of Thrones seems to be all the rage right now, although I wouldn't say he is a big name. With CGI I think I think finding someone that is that big is not as important as Colossus should get much bigger in armored form.

I know people hate the first Wolverine movie however I thought Liev Schreiber made a great Sabertooth and he is not a very imposing person.

I don't know how well he could do an accent but I think Joe Manganiello (True Blood, Magic Mike, also played Flash Thompson in the Sam Rami Spider-Man films) could make an impressive Colossus. He's got the size and is a decent actor.
    None of those scream out to me, then again I have no idea if they're casting younger or older for this version of Colossus. Whoever they cast I hope the CGI team comes up with a better solution for Colossus's transformation than what we saw in Singer's film. Would be much cooler if we saw him actually be fully CGI character that can increase size when he transforms so he looks like he can actually hang around bricks like Thing and Hulk.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by colossus34 View Post
    None of those scream out to me, then again I have no idea if they're casting younger or older for this version of Colossus. Whoever they cast I hope the CGI team comes up with a better solution for Colossus's transformation than what we saw in Singer's film. Would be much cooler if we saw him actually be fully CGI character that can increase size when he transforms so he looks like he can actually hang around bricks like Thing and Hulk.
    That would so work for me, especially since canon Colossus had a burst of light when shifting between flesh and armor, almost as if it were made to make him easier to portray on screen.

I have three requests of the movie's producers in casting Colossus. I still consider this an "if" proposition, and will until his involvement is confirmed by someone involved with the film's production.

Anyway:

-Don't go with a "name" actor. Go with someone who can both act/speak and who physically resembles Peter. If you are limited to known actors, the odds of a great fit take a major downturn.

-Don't hire a professional wrestler. I know Dave Bautista worked great for Guardians of the Galaxy, but that was the exception that proved the rule. Hire a dude who can actually act, and not some screaming steroided hammy WWE wrestler with his veins popping out of his forehead.

-Make sure the guy can come across as Russian. Pretty please?

Spectacular Member

I seriously can't see them finding anyone good enough to fit his look. If he is going to be in armored form the entire time, I would rather it be CG.

Spectacular Member

While looking for a new Colossus, I found the perfect Absorbing Man

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...zMQ@@._V1_.jpg

Fantastic Member

i thought Agents of SHIELD did rather well with Creel, myself.

Cudmore had a decent look for a younger Piotr. I'm really curious as to what his armored form is like. I'm also curious from the casting requirements, if he's either

"[KEREN] Any ethnicity, early 20s to late 30s. Serious, big, tough. ROLE REQUIRES THREE SERIES OPTIONS" or "[ALBERT] Any ethnicity, early 30s to early 50s. Big, muscular, dangerous. ROLE REQUIRES THREE SERIES OPTIONS"

If they went with an African American Colossus I will just keep thinking it's Sanya from The Dresden Files.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    I have three requests of the movie's producers in casting Colossus. I still consider this an "if" proposition, and will until his involvement is confirmed by someone involved with the film's production.

Anyway:

-Don't go with a "name" actor. Go with someone who can both act/speak and who physically resembles Peter. If you are limited to known actors, the odds of a great fit take a major downturn.

-Don't hire a professional wrestler. I know Dave Bautista worked great for Guardians of the Galaxy, but that was the exception that proved the rule. Hire a dude who can actually act, and not some screaming steroided hammy WWE wrestler with his veins popping out of his forehead.

-Make sure the guy can come across as Russian. Pretty please?
    I'm curious about your definition for a 'name' actor. As far as the wrestler goes? I doubt they'll go that route. Although it would suck if they did.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander View Post

If they went with an African American Colossus I will just keep thinking it's Sanya from The Dresden Files.
    don't give hollywood any stupid ideas.

Spectacular Member

I was actually thinking they may throw the whole Russian thing out the window and do a color blind casting. They do this with other roles, so why not this one. Not saying I would like it, because it would suddenly be a completely different character.

On related note, I don't understand why they don't see his potential. I think it would be EASY to make him popular. All they have to do is make him do things like the Terminator movies, or the Hulk, etc. It would only take one bad ass scene to get everyone thinking he is cool.

The "any ethnicity" casting notice is concerning. If that's for the Colossus role, then it begs the question are they even taking the Russian aspect of his character seriously? Unlike Johnny Storm who can be black (or any ethnicity, really) without changing the character's essence, Colossus has to be a white guy to be Piotr Rasputin. Same goes for Storm and why she has to be played by a black actress. If you take the Russian out of Colossus, then it isn't really Colossus any more, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickbarry View Post
    I'm curious about your definition for a 'name' actor.
    My take on name actors are people who audiences have some sort of familiarity with, as opposed to a relative unknown. My feeling is that there are many, many actors out there who are equally as talented as most successful Hollywood actors, they just haven't gotten their break yet. Amongst that pool of actors, there has to be someone who resembles Piotr physically who is talented enough to pull off the role. People used to say that no quality actor would ever be able to pull off Thor, because that would take someone who can act AND who has the appropriate physical stature to play a Norse god. They seemed to have figured that out well enough, and I'd bet they can find someone for Colossus as well.

edited to add: Posted before I saw Romus5's post above, which makes similar points to this one.
    Last edited by Jonas; 02-19-2015 at 11:41 AM.

The "any ethnicity" casting notice is concerning. If that's for the Colossus role, then it begs the question are they even taking the Russian aspect of his character seriously? Unlike Johnny Storm who can be black (or any ethnicity, really) without changing the character's essence
    I mean other than the whole being Sue Richards brother and all... unless ofcourse they cast a black woman for that role as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jcubed View Post
    I mean other than the whole being Sue Richards brother and all... unless ofcourse they cast a black woman for that role as well.
    I reject your insinuation that adopted kids can't be true siblings. One of my best friends growing up was adopted and had several sisters and a brother who were of different ethnicities, and they all were as close as any biological family.

The "any ethnicity" casting notice is concerning. If that's for the Colossus role, then it begs the question are they even taking the Russian aspect of his character seriously? Unlike Johnny Storm who can be black (or any ethnicity, really) without changing the character's essence, Colossus has to be a white guy to be Piotr Rasputin. Same goes for Storm and why she has to be played by a black actress. If you take the Russian out of Colossus, then it isn't really Colossus any more, is it?
    I'd like Colossus to be Russian but that doesn't necessarily mean he has to be a white guy

Quote Originally Posted by Romus5 View Post
    On related note, I don't understand why they don't see his potential. I think it would be EASY to make him popular. All they have to do is make him do things like the Terminator movies, or the Hulk, etc. It would only take one bad ass scene to get everyone thinking he is cool.
    I loved that Ultimate X-Men scene where Colossus rescues the submarine from the bottom of the ocean.

My take on name actors are people who audiences have some sort of familiarity with, as opposed to a relative unknown. My feeling is that there are many, many actors out there who are equally as talented as most successful Hollywood actors, they just haven't gotten their break yet. Amongst that pool of actors, there has to be someone who resembles Piotr physically who is talented enough to pull off the role. People used to say that no quality actor would ever be able to pull off Thor, because that would take someone who can act AND who has the appropriate physical stature to play a Norse god. They seemed to have figured that out well enough, and I'd bet they can find someone for Colossus as well.

edited to add: Posted before I saw Romus5's post above, which makes similar points to this one.
    I'm not hung up on the actor portraying him being a massive 6'6" person. I know some folks got bent out of shape about Hugh Jackman being so tall, but it never bugged me. Hell, folks thought Hemsworth was larger than Cudmore when the two are compared. I suppose I'm of the mindset that the actor needs to have his demeanor and ability to act more than a certain height.

Also to the poster below. I think there's every reason to expect him to look good in the film. Liefeld is adamant aboyt the recast. Plus the very presence of Colossus being in the film suggests action! It also seems to be a smaller cast and he has an awesome mutation for film. We should be pleased.

Sorry for any typos. Doing this from my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shambles View Post
    I'd like Colossus to be Russian but that doesn't necessarily mean he has to be a white guy
    Actually, you're probably right about that. I'm not super aware of the ethnic diversity of Russia, so I assumed for Colossus to be authentically Russian, he'd need to be white. I'm probably wrong about that, then.

Whatever ethnicity they go with, they'd better keep the Russian aspect of the character.