Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I’ve had this issue in my collection since I was a kid when it was given to me by a friend of my father. It used to creep me out so much that I couldn’t even look at it.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 03-24-2024 at 08:50 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

How cool! Killer Moth has his own signal!

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Kite Man should really have his own signal too. In fact, why not have all of Batman's villains get a signal?!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I don't see the butterflies or moths in this cover. Maybe I am not looking at it correctly?
    I don't see any either

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Really? It’s right there.

Either way, I’ve already changed my submission too many times!
    Hate to be a bother but is the female in the pink costume on the left side wearing a moth/butterfly based costume? She doesn't have wings.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-22-2024 at 03:49 PM.

Somehow….i don’t think imma win this week’s contest.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I don't see any either

Hate to be a bother but is the female in the pink costume on the left side wearing a moth/butterfly based costume? She doesn't have wings.
    It's the woman ( they're actually all different versions of the same person- Psylocke ) center right in purple and silver and a cape. The pink around her face isn't part of her mask, it's psychic energy. In some comics when she uses it, it supposed to look like a butterfly. Here's a couple of older drawings of that version of the character

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Thanks! I guess it was too subtle for me!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The hooded Caucasian version of Betsy center right is using her psychic powers...some artists would draw the psychic energy coming from her face as a butterfly silhouette.
    Sorry for not catching that. Haven't read many Psylock comics so I didn't realize it.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I almost chose a Psylocke cover for that same reason. So you weren't the only one thinking along those lines, Riv!

Even though she was drawn originally by Herb Trimpe in a totally different way, with red hair I think, the butterfly thing originated way back when Alan Davis was drawing her on the pages of Captain Britain and Betsy Braddock was a proper English woman with telepathic powers and purple hair. Later, Marvel decided the she needed to be turned into a raven-haired Japanese (yes she changed nationalities, I think) ninja assassin.

Not really sure where Betsy is at these days or what powers she has, or her form.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 03-22-2024 at 10:58 PM.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I almost chose a Psylocke cover for that same reason. So you weren't the only one thinking along those lines, Riv!

Even though she was drawn originally by Herb Trimpe in a totally different way, with red hair I think, the butterfly thing originated way back when Alan Davis was drawing her on the pages of Captain Britain and Betsy Braddock was a proper English woman with telepathic powers and purple hair. Later, Marvel decided the she needed to be turned into a raven-haired Japanese (yes she changed nationalities, I think) ninja assassin.

Not really sure where Betsy is at these days or what powers she has, or her form.
    Betsy is now Captain Britain, in a bit of an Arthurian fantasy armor outfit. The Asian body she had (via a bad retcon) inhabited for a while, a woman called Kwannon, now carries the Psylocke name.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Betsy is now Captain Britain, in a bit of an Arthurian fantasy armor outfit. The Asian body she had (via a bad retcon) inhabited for a while, a woman called Kwannon, now carries the Psylocke name.
    Thanks! Full circle for Betsy, nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Thanks! Full circle for Betsy, nice.
    Claremont and Lee had written the Lady Mandarin trilogy as part of the Acts of Vengeaons crossover event. In it, the Mandarin brainwashes Betsy and gives her plastic surgery to have her run the Japanese underworld (never mind that the Mandarin is Chinese). There was never indication that the changes where more than superficial and when she lost her helmet, Wolverine recognized her face in spite of the surgery. "That face - Betsy?" It was also strongly implied she still had the bionic eyes that Mojo had given her in the past.
    Which is why the later retcon by Nicieza made no sense that Betsy had traded bodies with a Japanese mutant assassin called Kwannon, who returned in Betsy's original body and was dying from the Legacy virus. Nicieza later admitted he had not read the third chapter of the Lady Mandarin saga.

Swamp Thing v2 #34

Attila Kiss

Englehart Humperdinck - that won "Best Cover" at the Kirby Awards for 1985.