Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I think Amazing Spider-Man is operating on about the same level it has for decades.
    Absolutely extraordinarily wrong statement

Amazing Member

Don't understand the defense for what is pretty clearly poor storytelling on display. Is there an actual reason for it or is it just made to troll people who aren't enjoying the current run?

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I don't know, genocide, slavery, and fascism are pretty mature themes.
    It depends on how they're handled.
    In the new Star Wars Trilogy, the first movie has mature conflicts and serious things to say; the third movie does not.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    It depends on how they're handled.
    In the new Star Wars Trilogy, the first movie has mature conflicts and serious things to say; the third movie does not.
    The less said about that movie the better. It was pure nostalgia bait sprinkled with mindless space battle fun to get all the alienated fans back after the second movie made some very bold choices. I liked those choices but many others nay likely a majority didn't like those choices.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-15-2024 at 05:00 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xix25 View Post
    Don't understand the defense for what is pretty clearly poor storytelling on display. Is there an actual reason for it or is it just made to troll people who aren't enjoying the current run?
    If I had to pick between defending these stories on their own merits or saying “Spider-Man isn’t Schindler’s List” (as if anyone was saying it was), I know what I’d pick, so I don’t know if I can blame them too much, tbh

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Andor exists.
    Earlier in this thread I said that I do my best to choose my words carefully, so that they're not open to misinterpretation.

"I don't think Star Wars movies have mature conflicts or challenging content" is what I said.

You have responded to that statement with "Andor exists".

Andor is not a Star Wars movie. Andor is a Star Wars TV series. I made no comment on Star Wars TV series. I have not watched the Star Wars TV series. I have no opinion on the Star Wars TV series.

My comment was explicitly about Star Wars movies.

I do not know if Andor contains challenging content, but apparently my post did.

Earlier in this thread I said that I do my best to choose my words carefully, so that they're not open to misinterpretation.

"I don't think Star Wars movies have mature conflicts or challenging content" is what I said.

Andor is not a Star Wars movie. Andor is a Star Wars TV series. I made no comment on Star Wars TV series. I have not watched the Star Wars TV series. I have no opinion on the Star Wars TV series.

I do not know if Andor contains challenging content, but apparently my post did.
    No offense, being unfamiliar with the canon Disney expanded martial (most of which is good to excellent, btw) you shouldn't make such blanket statements. It would be like saying if something happens in Amazing it only counts for 616 Spidey canon, the other satellite issues don't count. An arbitrary standard. It is all part of a unified story now.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-15-2024 at 05:14 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    If I had to pick between defending these stories on their own merits or saying “Spider-Man isn’t Schindler’s List” (as if anyone was saying it was), I know what I’d pick, so I don’t know if I can blame them too much, tbh
    Then you might as well say this Spidey run is far below the level of Enid Blyton's collection of stories for children. All have better plotting and more well written characters and arcs than what's being offered here.

The Star Wars franchise is more than the movies. The Last Jedi also exists if you only want to stick to movies (but Star Wars is more than the movies). Star Wars has portions intended for the youngest of children and portions intended for older audiences with more mature themes. Just like Amazing Spider-Man has published more mature stories such as Kraven's Last Hunt alongside more child friendly fare.

Speaking of Amazing Spider-Man, the foundation of the modern era of Spider-Man is a story that says "no matter what you do, you will always be alone." And that's a depressing foundation for any story's status quo.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 04-15-2024 at 05:29 PM.

It shouldn't be surprising that one of Marvel's best-selling titles has some fans.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It shouldn't be surprising that one of Marvel's best-selling titles has some fans.
    Ultimate Spider-Man does Yes

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Michael Bay's Transformers: Age of Extinction made a billion dollars. It has its fans. Popularity and earnings do not necessarily reflect quality.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Amazing Member

I don't think that's an honest appraisal of my question. I doubt the fandom for any creative work comes solely from the amount of money you give to it. If people aren't interested in being honest about their low standards for general storytelling then that's disappointing IMO. Better to admit that you enjoy badly written stories and be respected.

Mighty Member

I don't think that's an honest appraisal of my question. I doubt the fandom for any creative work comes solely from the amount of money you give to it. If people aren't interested in being honest about their low standards for general storytelling then that's disappointing IMO. Better to admit that you enjoy badly written stories and be respected.
    Or, at least, make some kind of argument as to why they think this is well written material. Instead the retorts are: this book doesn't need depth, if you want better writing go look somewhere else, it's selling, and it seems to be of "average" (or "mediocre") quality. None of which is a substantive or direct counterargument. If anything, it all seems to agree with the criticism that the book is not so well written. So why bother responding to those complaints at all?
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 04-16-2024 at 06:39 AM.

I think it's worth pointing out that Wells does deliberately write his stuff to match the artist which is why his arcs with McGuinness are so goofy and cartoonish.

I don't think "popcorn flick" was what he was going for with Dead Language or Gang War.