Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    Somebody had to look at that design, approve it, and be ok that it would end up appearing not just on any comic book, but one of the most successful and popular books Marvel or any comic book company has ever had. This whole thing had to be broken in a meeting where people saw this and were fine with this being released. This is the bottom. Over sixty years, the Spider-Man franchise has had its share of bad writers and stories. That is understandable, it happens to all long running properties. But this is just not caring. This is just trying to make people mad. The only way I can see this story having any shred of impact is if Spidey actually kills one of the bad guys stuck in that web, but we know that won't happen. It occurs to me that Zeb Wells Spider-Man run is a lot like the website Bleeding Cool. It's just clickbait now with four or five bullet points to fill up a comic. There is not any substance just little story points that keep the book lurching forward in a snarky narrative that makes it very clear that the creators working on it actually don't care about the fans they are supposed to sell this to. I am not talking about the spider-marriage, or Paul or any of the decisions that have been made in the last 15 years or so. It has become clear that Wells has any interest in making a connection to any of the things that make Spider-Man great at all. This is just empty like if A.I. wrote a Spider-Man story.
    It's genuinely baffling how amateurish and trashy Marvel's flagship book has become.

Wells has diminished the status of ASM more than anyone else. Literally more than anyone else.

As I saw someone else point out, notice there is zero hype for ASM#1000, even though it's so close and Marvel's biggest first comic to get to 1000. But literally no one is excited or talking about that because no one cares right now. Why would they?

Both Lowe and Wells need to go.

Taking a step back, I can see what Wells is going for with this run. This is a Peter Parker at his lowest. He's been dragged to his lowest point. And then dragged even lower from there.

But the pacing of this run totally undermines it. We get Spider-Goblin. And then we get Spider-Goblin again less than a year later. That is atrocious pacing. That is embarrassing pacing.

This run can't end fast enough. This book needs new blood. On the writer side of things and especially on the editorial side of things.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Taking a step back, I can see what Wells is going for with this run. This is a Peter Parker at his lowest. He's been dragged to his lowest point. And then dragged even lower from there.

But the pacing of this run totally undermines it. We get Spider-Goblin. And then we get Spider-Goblin again less than a year later. That is atrocious pacing. That is embarrassing pacing.

This run can't end fast enough. This book needs new blood. On the writer side of things and especially on the editorial side of things.
    The only arcs that haven been longer than two prayers have been Tombstone - related (maybe you can count Dark Web, but it was only three issues of the main title ) so it'll be 1/3rd of the run. Make of that what you will.

This is sheer opinion, but one of the reasons I feel largely alienated from this run is because, yes, some of the worst things keep happening to Peter, but Peter himself has been oddly placid and unresponsive to it all. Like, yeah, he gets miserable and gets a sad look on his face, but he seems to just be "taking it" and then we'll bounce to a new story where he's smiling or cracking jokes or acting otherwise unfazed by all of these ordeals. It's almost "business as usual" for him, it feels like.

Which is why it continues to be a largely unflattering comparison when I pull up and re-read older stories with Peter - from the 80s and 90s in particular - where Peter reacts to tragedy and setback in significantly more emotive, responsive, and relatable ways. He snaps. He yells. He argues. He says things he regrets. He breaks things. He hurts those around him with his behavior and often has to apologize, and they understand because they knew he was under stress and grief.

Here, Peter only behaves that way if he's literally possessed by the sins of the Goblin. He's not allowed to have the rough edges or flaws to respond to these events in ways that are human or believable right now. He's not allowed to chew Mary Jane out for what happened unless he's been zapped with an "evil beam". He's not allowed to punch a wall in grief over Kamala; he'll just loot her corpse and sleep with her clothes. He's not allowed to stand his ground and have an understandable hatred for Norman; he has to forgive him and work for the man who murdered his girlfriend and daughter.

He comes across as a man suffering from chronic depression, but I'm not sure that's intentional. And after nearly 50 issues, it really should be clear if that's the case or not by now.
    Last edited by Garlador; 04-13-2024 at 01:44 PM.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    This is sheer option, but one of the reasons I feel largely alienated from this run is because, yes, some of the worst things keep happening to Peter, but Peter himself has been oddly placid and unresponsive to it all. Like, yeah, he gets miserable and gets a sad look on his face, but he seems to just be "taking it" and then we'll bounce to a new story where he's smiling or cracking jokes or acting otherwise unfazed by all of these ordeals. It's almost "business as usual" for him, it feels like.

Which is why it continues to be a largely unflattering comparison when I pull up and re-read older stories with Peter - from the 80s and 90s in particular - where Peter reacts to tragedy and setback in significantly more emotive, responsive, and relatable ways. He snaps. He yells. He argues. He says things he regrets. He breaks things. He hurts those around him with his behavior and often has to apologize, and they understand because they knew he was under stress and grief.

Here, Peter only behaves that way if he's literally possessed by the sins of the Goblin. He's not allowed to have the rough edges or flaws to respond to these events in ways that are human or believable right now. He's not allowed to chew Mary Jane out for what happened unless he's been zapped with an "evil beam". He's not allowed to punch a wall in grief over Kamala; he'll just loot her corpse and sleep with her clothes. He's not allowed to stand his ground and have an understandable hatred for Norman; he has to forgive him and work for the man who murdered his girlfriend and daughter.

He comes across as a man suffering from chronic depression, but I'm not sure that's intentional. And after nearly 50 issues, it really should be clear if that's the case or not by now.
    The great irony of One More Day is it was made to make Peter seem youthful. That he was still hot and sexy. But in actuality BND Peter has massive "divorced guy" energy.

Fantastic Member

I genuinely cannot think of a character that is further away from hot and sexy than post OMD Peter. Big "guy who does not ****" energy from him pretty much constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    I genuinely cannot think of a character that is further away from hot and sexy than post OMD Peter. Big "guy who does not ****" energy from him pretty much constantly.
    Loser Peter is a loser, shocking I know. I'm to the point where I'm almost apathetic towards 616 Peter then something like this happens and I'm equal parts outraged and saddened all over again. Are they even trying anymore?
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

The great irony of One More Day is it was made to make Peter seem youthful. That he was still hot and sexy. But in actuality BND Peter has massive "divorced guy" energy.
    Idk if it was to make Peter sexy, relatable to kids, or "down on his luck." (There were so many reasons given and some wrere contradictory) but Peter (and MJ) both peaked in sexiness during the McFarlane era.

Regardless, I love that ITSV basically parodied the comics by introducing Peter B as a literal divorced sad sack.

This can work! I say bravely, and bid you adieu

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    This can work! I say bravely, and bid you adieu
    I believe it can, too! Looking forward to how things play out...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Idk if it was to make Peter sexy, relatable to kids, or "down on his luck." (There were so many reasons given and some wrere contradictory) but Peter (and MJ) both peaked in sexiness during the McFarlane era.

Regardless, I love that ITSV basically parodied the comics by introducing Peter B as a literal divorced sad sack.
    And even ITSV ended with that Peter inspired by Miles to not throw his life away and take "a leap of faith" to improve said life, which led to him reconciling with (and presumably remarrying) his Mary Jane, which led in turn to him being an absolutely adorable "girl dad" with baby Mayday in ATSV.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

It's one thing that this is basically repetitive with us already doing the Spider Who Gobbles a few arcs ago. So it's more novel now that we've got the Sinister Six and he looks the part?

It's another thing that this is just so patently ridiculous it wouldn't look out of place in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, and even that show never did something like this.

It's a whole 'nother thing that this run has the absolute most bonkers tonal inconsistency of any Spider-Man run because Wells thinks he can just write the most silly and ridiculous plots when McGuinnes is drawing it and it jives with the rest of his run.

I just...I just don't see the point.

I kind of doubt Wells has put that much thought into it. This makes it clear to me he's basically just been winging his entire run.

Spectacular Member

Hahaha this is abysmally awful. This has got to be the worst Spider-Man run ever, is anyone enjoying this?!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugen View Post
    what hell everything in this run is mediocre, everything is clikbait and ragebait just to annoy the fans there is no desire to write anything good no writing effort in this run the worst ever...
    You not liking a comic doesn't mean that that the writer isn't trying or that it's made to annoy fans.

That's just saying insulting things about the writer's work ethic and motivations, assuming the absolute worst of them, without any evidence.

(And if the "worst run ever" of a comic over 900 issues deep is just "mediocre", I'd say we've had it pretty good.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    It's genuinely baffling how amateurish and trashy Marvel's flagship book has become.

Wells has diminished the status of ASM more than anyone else. Literally more than anyone else.
    It's still one of Marvel's best performing books, and has been throughout the entire run, so what you're saying is false. We've seen series' status diminish many times of the decades: Teen Titans and Legion of Super-Heroes used to be DC's top titles, then fell. Green Lantern used to be one of DC's top titles and support multiple spin-offs, then fell. Fantastic Four used to be Marvel's number one book, then fell. Amazing Spider-Man's status is intact.

As I saw someone else point out, notice there is zero hype for ASM#1000, even though it's so close and Marvel's biggest first comic to get to 1000. But literally no one is excited or talking about that because no one cares right now. Why would they?
    It's 59 issues away. People tend not to get hyped for comics 59 issues down the line that haven't been solicited, haven't been drawn, haven't been written, haven't been plotted, haven't been brain-stormed.

Both Lowe and Wells need to go.
    They've both been making Marvel Comics a lot of money. Publishers tend not to fire the people who make them the most money. Publishers tend not to fire people because a guy on a message board says they should.
    Last edited by Lee; 04-14-2024 at 05:37 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    This is sheer opinion, but one of the reasons I feel largely alienated from this run is because, yes, some of the worst things keep happening to Peter, but Peter himself has been oddly placid and unresponsive to it all. Like, yeah, he gets miserable and gets a sad look on his face, but he seems to just be "taking it" and then we'll bounce to a new story where he's smiling or cracking jokes or acting otherwise unfazed by all of these ordeals. It's almost "business as usual" for him, it feels like.

Agreed.

When one goes back and reads older Spider-man titles, it's an interesting contrast.

There were times when Peter went pretty hard at the people around him and he definitely wasn't the "quasi-goofball" that he seems be nowadays. I can't remember the issue but there was an older comic when Peter realized he was losing virtually everything and the comic opened with him contemplating his life and how he was going to proceed. It wasn't funny or cute, you could feel that "sh!t is getting real" for Peter moment.

Broadly speaking, Peter had an edge to him that's gone.

It's curious how Wells has decided to approach Parker. It's definitely not the worst but it's also not reflective of a character that's meant to have grown from his experience.
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-14-2024 at 05:33 AM.