Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hippolyta - Queens of the Amazons Appreciation 2024

New year, new thread for the Queen of the Amazons and mother of the world's most famous superheroine.

Created by: William Moulton Marston (writer) and Harry G. Peter (artist).

Huh, come to think of it I hadn't seen a page on Hippolyta in a while.
    A bit surprising in retrospect given how often shes been a hero in her own right between the silver age 'Wonder Queen' period, the Post Crisis bit where she was retconned to be a time traveler, and the Rebirth member of the Justice League thing

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

My favorite Hippolyta story is an obscure Golden Age one that overall had very little importance but I feel like it just made for a nice early showing of what shes about.

It involved her looking into the future with the Vision Sphere and discovering that Diana was fated to perish the following day. So pleading with Aphrodite, she was permitted to leave the island for one day on the condition that she keep her identity secret beyond the shores.
    So...She does.
    She leaves the island disguised as Wonder Woman, confronts and defeats her daughter, leaving her hog tied in her own closet, then leaves to the site of where she saw Diana perish, intent on taking her daughters place.

Of course she doesn't actually die as Diana gets free, goes on the search for this fiend who suddenly attacked her and impersonated her, averting fate in the process. But Hippolyta when given the choice, would jump at the chance to lay down her life for the sake of her daughter.

Hippolyta is one the most complex and misunderstood characters in the Wonder Fam. She gets dismissed for seeming isolationist, overprotective, and “anti-men”. But that sentiment ignores much of the deeply rooted trauma she and other Amazons went through.
    How could anyone expect her to have a rational response to her only daughter wanting to leave paradise for the same people that violated her so long ago?
    https://twitter.com/THEMYSCIRALORE/s...56734903390405

Incredible Member

Not a fan of Hippolyta's purple look there but lovely to see her.

The "I knew Diana would come to my rescue" line from Primal Slayer's Hippolyte post reminds me of a similar quote from the Gail Simone run in Vol. 3 when the Queen is taking on a squad of Nazi's that have invaded Paradise Island...

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    My favorite Hippolyta story is an obscure Golden Age one that overall had very little importance but I feel like it just made for a nice early showing of what shes about.

It involved her looking into the future with the Vision Sphere and discovering that Diana was fated to perish the following day. So pleading with Aphrodite, she was permitted to leave the island for one day on the condition that she keep her identity secret beyond the shores.
    So...She does.
    She leaves the island disguised as Wonder Woman, confronts and defeats her daughter, leaving her hog tied in her own closet, then leaves to the site of where she saw Diana perish, intent on taking her daughters place.

Of course she doesn't actually die as Diana gets free, goes on the search for this fiend who suddenly attacked her and impersonated her, averting fate in the process. But Hippolyta when given the choice, would jump at the chance to lay down her life for the sake of her daughter.
    Maybe not that obscure since it was reprinted in the 1970s -- and aside from Wonder Woman's origin is the story I most associate with Golden Age Hippolyta.

Ive lost track: HIPPOLYTA instead of HIPPOLYTE these days? Name spelling, not actual character, I mean. At least she's not another "Martha"...

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.